Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - Sept. 20

The King of Diatribes

Default Fantasy Mailbag - Sept. 20

Fire away, folks! My School of Block on Avs goalies in Training Camp isn't really fantasy-specific, so I'll open this up to help you dominate the goalie department of your fantasy draft! I have four of my own coming up this weekend, so it's time to shake and bake your way to a terrific trifecta.

I have a big meeting down at Mile High Sports Radio in a few hours and tonight is my sister's birthday, but I'll do my best to answer all your questions in the next 24 hours!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I asked you the same question 8 months ago, but I'll ask it again: in a keeper league where W=2 and shutout=3, who would you keep between C.Price and C.Anderson?? I have to give my answer this week, so your answer will help me A LOT!!
    thanks!
    14teams. 25players
    (14F:8D:3G)Points only
    Goal/Pass= F:1/1 D:2/1
    Wins/SO= 2/2
    12-14 keepers
    F: Draisaitl,Barkov,Matthews,Crosby,Voracek
    D:Carlson,Josi,Theodore,Chabot,Hronek
    G:Vasilevsky,Demko

The King of Diatribes

This year may not be the most ideal situation for Carey Price since he's under so much pressure, but you have to roll with him. He's head and shoulders above Anderson as far as long-term talent is concerned. Big gap in age as well.

Anderson is not going to have a cakewalk this season either. He's got a lot of expectations to fill in October and if he doesn't do as well as last October, the Avs probably won't make the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Who should I draft, Justin Goldman or Carey Price? Who has more raw potential?

For a one-year league how would you rank these (W,Sv,Sv%,Gaa,SO) - Rask, Vokoun, Rinne, Anderson, Fleury, Howard, Ward, Price, S. Mason, Niemi?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Should I be concerned about my goaltending heading into the season?
    12 Team Keeper Head to Head(W,GAA,SVP,SHO)
    Start 2 Daily

Miller
    Hiller
    C.Mason
    D.Ellis

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Stat predictions for Giguere and the Monster this upcoming season?

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Who should I draft, Justin Goldman or Carey Price? Who has more raw potential?

For a one-year league how would you rank these (W,Sv,Sv%,Gaa,SO) - Rask, Vokoun, Rinne, Anderson, Fleury, Howard, Ward, Price, S. Mason, Niemi?
    The only thing Goldman has that Price doesn't is clean lungs. HA!

1. RASK
    2. HOWARD
    3. VOKOUN
    4. RINNE
    5. FLEURY
    6. WARD
    7. PRICE
    8. ANDERSON
    9. S. MASON
    10. NIEMI

That's a really tough list to decipher. Anything could happen with guys like Rask and Howard and Price. I don't see Anderson having the same output as last season, same with Niemi. Mason will be better, but not sure about the team in front of him.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyjoe View Post
    Should I be concerned about my goaltending heading into the season?
    12 Team Keeper Head to Head(W,GAA,SVP,SHO)
    Start 2 Daily

Miller
    Hiller
    C.Mason
    D.Ellis
    Not too much! I like the Miller - Hiller combination. You will have to be aware of how Hiller handles a much tougher workload, but all those extra shots should boost his save percentage a little bit. And I still think he's good for close to 30 wins. Most goalies thrive when they see more consistent shots and he will definitely get that in Anaheim.

Miller is obviously your stud in net and he'll have a great year I'm sure close to 40 wins, if not more.

Dan Ellis will be fine. Mike Smith left the ice today with an apparent right finger injury. So that could be huge moving forward.

Chris Mason is a quality #4 goalie to own and when he gets starts, he'll do great I'm sure. I personally like what Atlanta has done over the summer and I think they will be better than expected. Plus Pavelec is still considered a raw talent with not the best experience, so Mason has the potential to steal/play a lot of games!

I don't think it's the best foursome, but I would grade you a solid "B" for sure.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by mbice View Post
    Stat predictions for Giguere and the Monster this upcoming season?
    With the title of "starter" going to Giguere it will probably be slightly in favor of the Monster. I'll say right now I expect it to be about 44/38 in favor of Gustavsson.

Dobber Sports Giant

Hey Justin,

Thanks for doing this once again.

My question is for a pts only league (3 pts for a W, 2 pts for a SO, -0.6 for each GA and 0.1 for each SV) where I already own Luongo and Bryz and where we play 2 goalies.

Out of these guys, who would you target for 3rd/4th goalie:

Niittymaki
    Elliott
    Smith
    Giguere
    Neuvirth
    Bernier
    Thomas
    Schneider
    ATL goalies
    NYI goalies
    EDM goalies

I think either I grab a good 3rd or I grab Schneider later one to handcuff all VCR games and grab a 4th.

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Hi Justin
    Just looking for your thoughts on D.Tokarski? how far away is he and where does janus fit in the picture? Ellis and Smith seem solid, but is tokarski TB's long term answer?
    Thanks!

Dobber Sports Padawan

How many starts do you predict for each of these guys?

Lehtonen
    Elliott
    D Ellis
    Dipietro

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Chicleteur View Post
    Hey Justin,

Thanks for doing this once again.

My question is for a pts only league (3 pts for a W, 2 pts for a SO, -0.6 for each GA and 0.1 for each SV) where I already own Luongo and Bryz and where we play 2 goalies.

Out of these guys, who would you target for 3rd/4th goalie:

Niittymaki, Elliott, Smith, Giguere, Neuvirth, Bernier, Thomas, Schneider, ATL goalies, NYI goalies, EDM goalies

I think either I grab a good 3rd or I grab Schneider later one to handcuff all VCR games and grab a 4th.

Thanks!
    Niittymaki is a decent choice. Bernier is a high-reward guy that shouldn't be passed up. I'm not sold on Thomas playing at a high level after the hip surgery. You should definitely look closely at Neuvirth. One of the most underrated goalies the past two seasons is Dwayne Roloson. Even if DiPietro is healthy, Roloson will end up playing more games this year I bet.

You already own two steady workhorses that will probably play close to 65 games. Go for quality over quantity. That means Bernier stands out, same with Schneider, as the two goalies I would go for the most. Chris Mason will also post quality stats when he gets to play.

I'd go with Bernier. He's probably making the team and he's most inclined to steal starts due to awesome stats. If you want more of a guarantee, roll with Schneider!

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by vozzy81 View Post
    Hi Justin
    Just looking for your thoughts on D.Tokarski? how far away is he and where does janus fit in the picture? Ellis and Smith seem solid, but is tokarski TB's long term answer?
    Thanks!
    Tokarski is one of the top prospects to own right now for keeper leagues. He's a brilliant kid with great upside and potential. His experience in the World Juniors for Team Canada proved he has the mental toughness to thrive in the NHL. A big boost also comes from having a genius of a goalie coach in Frantz Jean. Tokarski is one year away from being a bonafide NHL backup, unless Smith is able to establish himself as a goalie that can reclaim a starting role in the NHL. Broken finger doesn't help his momentum heading into the season.

Where Janus fits into the equation is something that's currently being figured out. They have three goalies headed for Norfolk (Tokarski, Desjardins and Janus) but only two spots to fill. So it's a big question mark and depending on how they compete in the pre-season, and now the health of Smith, you might see Janus loaned, moved, or staying put in the AHL until Smith is healthy again.

Tokarski has the potential to be a long-term answer in Tampa Bay. Dan Ellis is not touted as the savior of that franchise, but could play his way into a comfortable long-term starting gig if he plays really well this season.

Regardless of all the other situations, Tokarski needs only to continue to play up to his potential and work hard in order to be ready for an NHL gig next season. He will probably see some NHL games this year since Smith is such a band-aid boy.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default 2-3 goalies

CBS league H2h with goalies getting 5 pts per win, 2pts fro SO, .25 per save

F get 3 pts per goal, 1 pt per assist, 2pts per PPG

Maximum of 4D, 2G, and 6F per week.

I got Bryzgalov and Rask in my draft...I have Elliot..with these 2 starters I don't see the need for a third goalie, and Elliot was all that was left. What do you think of just runnign with two and picking up another point getter at F?

Thanks for helping out..enjoy your work...Mike