Thread: Getting complicated, trading to free up a keeper spot, gain 1st overall pick.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Getting complicated, trading to free up a keeper spot, gain 1st overall pick.

I need to free up a keeper spot for Rinne, and upgrade a current keeper (probably a dman).

The last place team (and #1 pick holder) has 3 stud Ds, 2 stud forwards, and Howard in net. Not much else. We get 9.5 keepers (the .5 is a prospect keeper). He's a perfect trade partner for me as he has what i want (Dman upgrade and top pick) and I have extra keeper quality players for him.

He turned down Doughty/1st for Cammalleri/Hossa/Gonchar. I would've turned that down too probably.

He's saying he doesn't really want Cammalleri (no idea why) or Gonchar, and doesn't want to give up Doughty.

I wouldn't mind Boyle/1st for Cam/Hossa/Streit, but don't see him taking that either. I think the rest of my keeper forwards have too much value to put in that trade instead of Cammalleri if Doughty isn't on the other side, so it leaves me to offering Goaltending.

I'm fairly certain I can turn Cammalleri/Hossa into Luongo (or Vokoun and 2nd overall).
    While I'd love to go into next season with Luongo/Rinne, I'd expect an offer of MAF/Streit for Boyle/1st to be rejected.

I have the 10th of 12 picks. How would my Vokoun, 10th, Streit for his Boyle, 1st look? I'd then go in with the 1st two picks, Rinne/MAF, Boyle/Weber, and my forward keepers minus Cammalleri/Hossa.

Any other options here you guys see that I should look into? I think I'm trying to do too much, but I'm desperate for a win after being in the top 3 for 3 years in a row.
    Last edited by duducks; September 8, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
    Weekly H2H
    G / A / P / +- / PowerPlayPoints / Shots / Goalie Wins / GAA / Save%

Administrator

You might be getting greedy here. Doesn't sound like this guy isn't too eager to make these deals with you. Is it necessary for you to secure the 1st overall pick in these deals? I'd try going after a more marginal pick and the keeper upgrade.

First thing I'd consider is either of those Cam/Hossa for Luongo deal because it upgrades you in goal and frees up that second keeper spot. Then you can focus on working the Fleury trade angle with this guy. He obviously doesn't like Cammalleri so it's sort pointless to offer him up at this point so losing him isn't huge. Would MAF/Streit for Boyle/1st fly? No probably not, but if you threw in your first or second it could, or you could ask for his second round pick instead of that 1st overall.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

Definately getting greedy
    The more I look at Edmonton, the more of a hard-on I get for Hall. My arch-rival in this league has made it clear he'll be making offers for Hall during the season if he doesn't fall to him in the draft (he wont fall), so all the more reason for me to be stuck on that #1 pick. I actually want that pick more than I want Doughty or Boyle. He also has Kaberle, which would be a cheaper option.

MAF/Streit/10th for Boyle/1st, I think he'd take. Would I?

edit: I think you hit the nail on the head there. If its my 2011 1st rounder (which I can hope would be the 12th), I'd think hard about it. If it's my 2nd rounder either year, I definitely would.
    Last edited by duducks; September 8, 2010 at 12:22 PM.
    Weekly H2H

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by duducks View Post
    Definately getting greedy
    HAHAHA, so long as you know then it's okay.

One thing I'd like you to consider is how much of an upgrade Boyle is on Streit. There's certainly a perceived upgrade but I think Streit is more than capable of matching Boyle's production, especially with the Islanders forward group continuing to improve. A breakout season for Okposo and Tavares means a return to 60 points for Streit in my mind. Now that could be a couple years away but still worth thinking about. If you can score that Luongo deal, then you could deal MAF and the maybe your first or second for the 1st overall pick on it's own. Then you keep Streit which isn't a terrible consolation prize since your ultimate target is that first pick anyways.

Dobber Sports Padawan

keep it clean...if it is the #1 (Hall) focus on that goal.
    It is likely your trade partner knows it as well.
    RFHL: 12 Member League Founded 1989 Rochester, NY
    Limited 10 Positional Player Keeper League
    G, A, PTS, 2W+OL, SV%, GAA
    C: Tavares, Kopitar, BJugstad, Kesler, Fabbri
    LW: Hall, Benn, Voracek, Fabbri
    RW: Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, MacKinnon
    D: Hedman, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Parayko, S. Jones, Pietrangelo
    G: Price, Murray

Dobber Sports Ace

Boyle would become an undisputed keeper obviously.
    Does Streit really stand out over Goligoski/Gonchar if only 1 could be kept?
    Weekly H2H

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by duducks View Post
    Boyle would become an undisputed keeper obviously.
    Does Streit really stand out over Goligoski/Gonchar if only 1 could be kept?
    IMO yes he would. He's substantially more proven than Goligoski and is more durable with more years left than Gonchar.