Thread: Varlamov or Ellis as a keeper

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Varlamov or Ellis as a keeper

I am in a keeper league where you pick a team and 5 keepers. One keeper must be a goalie. I have a choice between the Caps and TB. I know the Caps are a far better club, but what about in the net. I know all about Varlamov and his potential,etc.... I'm guessing Ellis was brought to TB to be the starter? I figure Varlamov has an edge in wins,but what about the other stats. I'm leaning towards TB for the challenge. Isn't that what fantasy hockey is all about. Can't pick Ovi as a keeper, so i don't get that huge edge from the start. Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Varlamov without a doubt. Both teams have a 1A/1B situation going on, but considering that Varlamov plays on the faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better team and has first dibs on the starter position (something Dan Ellis doesn't have), it's a no brainer.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Rookie

In a Keeper League I would stick with Varlamov. He's on a good team and he's only 22 so there is lots of time for him to develop his skills further. The starters job is his to loose. Ellis on the other hand is 30 years old already and has never had a chance like this to be a starter till now. What you see is what you get from him now as far as his netminding is concerned. I think TB picked Ellis up to create a 1A-1B tandem with Smith. Smith being slightly younger has been a starter before but has started to run into the injury bug now and then. Ellis and Smith will push each other with the edge probably going to Ellis. Ellis will probably start 60%-66% of the games for TB.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
    I am in a keeper league where you pick a team and 5 keepers. One keeper must be a goalie. I have a choice between the Caps and TB. I know the Caps are a far better club, but what about in the net. I know all about Varlamov and his potential,etc.... I'm guessing Ellis was brought to TB to be the starter? I figure Varlamov has an edge in wins,but what about the other stats. I'm leaning towards TB for the challenge. Isn't that what fantasy hockey is all about. Can't pick Ovi as a keeper, so i don't get that huge edge from the start. Thoughts?
    No OV, sure... what about Backstrom, Green, Carlson, Semin? It's either that set-up or TB's Lecavalier, St. Louis, Stamkos, Hedman...

I prefer group 1. Varlamov is a capable goalie himself. The thing with the whole group aspect is that Varlamov seems to be injury prone and many prefer Neuvirth over him (or Holtby if you want to go that far). Either way, Varlamov plays for WSH and ellis for TB. Big difference. TB also has Smith, and as such, it's like WSH ahving Neuvirth. As soon as either of them fumble, the backup will be breathing down their necks to get some starts, and then some wins, and then maybe the spot itself.

It's a risky gamble (goaltending wise). But nonetheless, the keepers that come along with them are just as important as the goalies themselves. Varlamov and Ellis is close, yes. But the rest of the group make that small gap much much larger. And Varlamov is still, in my opinion, on the good side in both cases.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Veteran

I still think that Tampa Bay prefers Smith to be the starter and I think he will be given the opportunity for them. He was real good for them a couple years ago before he got injured. Since then he has been struggling to stay healthy. This will be his last shot at the starters job though in my opinion.

As stated earlier with Washington being the better team you need to go with Washington and therefore Varlamov. I don't think varlamov is gettnig enough credit in the fantasy world these days.
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I also think Smith has the upper hand on Ellis and oh my god do I agree that Varlamov isn't getting credit here anymore. It's insane how people have started antihyping him! And for what damn reason?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    I also think Smith has the upper hand on Ellis and oh my god do I agree that Varlamov isn't getting credit here anymore. It's insane how people have started antihyping him! And for what damn reason?
    I'm pretty sure the reason has the name of Neuvirth. But I agree. 3 years ago Varly was all the hype. Now it's like he doesn't exist. He's a capable (and pretty good at that) goalie on his own.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Give me Varly anyday...oh wait, I already have him!
    12 team keeper league. 8 keepers/team.
    Skater Pts: goal = 2, assist =1, +/-, PIM = .5
    Goalie Pts: win = 5, SO = 3, Sv = .1, GA = -.9

FORWARDS:
    C. Giroux, I. Kovalchuk, E. Malkin, D. Clarkson, D. Perron, J. Pominville, J. Tootoo, R. Mason, R. Nash, J. Iginla, S. Gagner, R. O'Reilly, T. Bozak
    DEFENSE:
    C. Letang, Mike Green, A. Edler, N. Kronwall, D. Engelland, K. Yandle, B. Dillon, P. Martin
    GOALIES:
    R. Miller, J. Quick J. Hiller, C. Nilstorp

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I've had both Neuvy and Varly for three years Plan on getting Holtby as soon as I can make room
    GO WINGS!