Thread: Regarding Dobber's Preseason draft list...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Regarding Dobber's Preseason draft list...

As most of you know, two lists are included in the preseason draft list; one for players and one for goalies. If you were to combine the lists, where would the goalies rank? Are tier 1 goalies worthy enough to be considered as a top 10 pick? Or how about a top 20 pick? What about a tier 3 goalie? Or if you’re really ambitious, how about individual goalies?
    14 Team H2H Full Keeper
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: Sharp, Fisher, Steen
    W: Hartnell, Kessel, Versteeg, Parise, Cammalleri, Foligno
    D: Gonchar, Boyle, Del Zotto, Hamhuis
    Util: Hanzal, MacArthur
    G: Howard, Varlamov

Farm
    Brouwer, Raymond, Comeau, Backlund, Bailey, Huberdeau, Mursak, Jensen, Moller, Fehr, Hedman, Sbisa, Reimer, Peters, Scrivens

Dobber Sports Demi-God

First off you need to understand that those lists rankings are based on points - so in a pure points league that awards 2 points for a goalie win and 3 for a shutout you can just splice the lists together and there you have it.

In any other format, you have to consider all the stat categories to arrive at a relative value between skaters and goalies - I use Hockeypoolgeek tools to help me with that process.

Generally I think that Tier 1 goalies will normally start going in the second half of the first round in most leagues and continue on through the 2nd round. Tier 2 goalies would likely start to become a factor in round 3. That is a very broadbrush statement - if you have a specific league in mind then I suggest you post your roster positions, the number of teams, the format and the scoring categories to get a better answer than this.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'd look at your league scoring categories.
    Do the goalie categories make up 30%...40%, etc.
    Also, how many goalies do you play...1, 2?
    If the % is high then only a couple of guys on your team sway the scoring in your league and that would make them a higher value.
    Ex. my league goalies make up about 38% of the scoring...making them a must-have...Luongo would then be as valuable as the 100 pt scorers.
    RFHL: 12 Member League Founded 1989 Rochester, NY
    Limited 10 Positional Player Keeper League
    G, A, PTS, 2W+OL, SV%, GAA
    C: Tavares, Kopitar, BJugstad, Kesler, Fabbri
    LW: Hall, Benn, Voracek, Fabbri
    RW: Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, MacKinnon
    D: Hedman, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Parayko, S. Jones, Pietrangelo
    G: Price, Murray

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Fantasy league scoring is critical to assessing a goalies value relative to skaters.
    I can say this - in a 12-16 team fantasy league, starting 2 goalies, the quality goalies will be gone by the end of round 5... so get your 2 before then.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I understand each league's draft will embody its own trends and nuances. I guess I'm trying to compile a more general list with goalies slotted in. I'm attempting to delve into other people's thinking process when giving value to goalies in order to do so.

@ Shoeless...sorry a little off topic, but I noticed you're currently in Asan? Whereabouts is Asan? I lived in Pyeongtaek (next to Osan Air Force Base at the end of line 1 on the Seoul Metro) for a year and a half. Asan rings a bell but I can't place it for the life of me. I miss Korea, the women and the food/drinks. Have a Cass and some soju for me!
    14 Team H2H Full Keeper
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: Sharp, Fisher, Steen
    W: Hartnell, Kessel, Versteeg, Parise, Cammalleri, Foligno
    D: Gonchar, Boyle, Del Zotto, Hamhuis
    Util: Hanzal, MacArthur
    G: Howard, Varlamov

Farm
    Brouwer, Raymond, Comeau, Backlund, Bailey, Huberdeau, Mursak, Jensen, Moller, Fehr, Hedman, Sbisa, Reimer, Peters, Scrivens