Thread: 3rd Goalie Options - Please HELP!

Dobber Sports Ace

Default 3rd Goalie Options - Please HELP!

This is what will remain for a third Goalie option:

Pavelec,
    Smith (TB),
    Gustavsson,
    RDP,
    Bernier,
    Boucher,
    Khabibulin,
    Crawford,
    Garon,
    Osgood,
    Dubnyk

For this year only, can you guys please rank with predictions on these guys (GP, W, SO)?
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Genius

Gustavsson
    Pavelic
    Smith

Likely in that order for a one year with those cats.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Khabby is the only guaranteed starter on the list, so if GP are worth something, he has the best chance there.
    As far as wins and SOs go, I think Bernier will get a lot of wins with LA, and put up some SOs, but he will be, at best, splitting starts with Quick.
    Of them all, I could see Pavelec having the best chance of stealing / keeping the number 1 job, but it is Atlanta, so it may not be reflected in wins, but I would bet that he gets the most SOs of the whole list.
    Hope that helps.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Is Khabibulin healthy this year? I'm in the same situation, and was leaning toward Bernier or Thomas, Niemi. Thomas must still have something left, but probably won't play much. I think Bernier will get a lot of starts in LA. Is Niemi #1 in San Jose?

Dobber Sports Genius

In my opinion, I think Pavelac is the most sure of having/keeping starters role, and that's my decision maker. Pavelac for me.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Gustavsson is the only guarantee in there to start in my mind. Khabibulin has the threat of going to jail and he's pretty damn old with three goalies behind him on the depth chart that can push him for a job.

As for Pavelec, it's questionable whether or not he even has the talent to start and there's no way in hell he ever beats out a healthy Lehtonen for the starter's job.

Smith has to compete with Ellis and it's questionable whether or not Smith can rebound.

Bernier has Quick in front of him so most of his value lies in long-term leagues.

Everything else is crap, so definitely Gustavsson for me.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by WildCard2180 View Post
    Gustavsson is the only guarantee in there to start in my mind.

As for Pavelec, it's questionable whether or not he even has the talent to start and there's no way in hell he ever beats out a healthy Lehtonen for the starter's job.
    Lehtonen plays in Dallas, not Atlanta, and I think there is more than a fair chance Giggy gets some significant time in goal.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    Lehtonen plays in Dallas, not Atlanta, and I think there is more than a fair chance Giggy gets some significant time in goal.
    Oh, yeah, I got the players mixed up. Still, just switch out Lehtonen for Chris Mason and my point still stands.

Giggy has been a backup for the last couple of years and hasn't shown he has the ability to be a starter anymore during that time. Toronto has made it clear that Gustavsson is their starter for now.

It's a possibility that Giggy splits games with Gustavsson if everything falls into place for him, but if I had to bet on who gets more starts, Giggy or Gustavsson, I would bet on Gustavsson with no doubt in my mind at all.

Dobber Sports Genius

Oh, yeah, I got the players mixed up. Still, just switch out Lehtonen for Chris Mason and my point still stands.

Giggy has been a backup for the last couple of years and hasn't shown he has the ability to be a starter anymore during that time. Toronto has made it clear that Gustavsson is their starter for now.

It's a possibility that Giggy splits games with Gustavsson if everything falls into place for him, but if I had to bet on who gets more starts, Giggy or Gustavsson, I would bet on Gustavsson with no doubt in my mind at all.
    The point that you make about Giggy being backup last two years and TOR commiting to The Monster is just as viable for Mason,Atl and Pavelec.

I agree that Tor wants to Gustavsson to be the starter of the future but no team in the NHL can have a $6 Million back up and the only wat to trade him is to showcase him by playing. That would be the case if The Monster dominates. If however, he struggles.(which is not uncommon for a 2nd year goalie with little expierience) Giggy is a more than sound option to put in net for most teams in the league, let alone the leafs( far better than Mason). Sometimes the European goelies need a few years to adjust the heavy deamand of being a #1 in the NHL as the euro leagues play a fraction of the games.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The point that you make about Giggy being backup last two years and TOR commiting to The Monster is just as viable for Mason,Atl and Pavelec.
    How so? Mason has been a solid starter for three to four years now and Pavelec has never been a starter.

I agree that Tor wants to Gustavsson to be the starter of the future but no team in the NHL can have a $6 Million back up and the only wat to trade him is to showcase him by playing.
    ...If Toronto didn't want Giguere then they wouldn't have traded for him. He has an albatross contract, so what? That didn't stop him from being a backup in Toronto and Anaheim the last two years. It doesn't stop Redden from being a bottom pairing d-man. It doesn't stop Drury from being a 3rd liner.

Besides, even if, for whatever odd reason, Toronto traded for Giguere just so they could trade him the next year, wouldn't it make more sense to just let Giguere's contract expire? He only has one year left on his contract if I remember correctly.

That would be the case if The Monster dominates. If however, he struggles.(which is not uncommon for a 2nd year goalie with little expierience)
    If you want to make the assumption that Gustavsson will struggle next year based on nothing but superstition and pick another goalie, then okay. Nothing I can say to argue with that.

Giggy is a more than sound option to put in net for most teams in the league, let alone the leafs( far better than Mason).
    How's Giguere better then Mason? Giguere has been a backup for the last two years and posted mediocre to crappy stats in both of them. Mason has been a starter for the past three to four years and has posted decent to good stats in all but one of them.

For that matter, how is a backup a better option then most team's starters?

I'm not saying that Giguere isn't a good goalie or that he doesn't have potential to rebound, but you can't bank on him rebounding or having a good year. He has a horrible contract and has been a mediocre backup for two straight years.

Sometimes the European goelies need a few years to adjust the heavy deamand of being a #1 in the NHL as the euro leagues play a fraction of the games.
    Sometimes, but usually it has more to do with adjusting to the rink size and style of play then anything.

He has a full year under his belt as a starter and posted okay stats in that one year (considering the the team he was on). There's no reason to think he hasn't or won't adjust.

Dobber Sports Genius

How so? Mason has been a solid starter for three to four years now and Pavelec has never been a starter.

I would be inclined to believe that if Mason were challenged for his job by someone like Hiller, he would have lost it faster than Giggy did (which was more of a $$ choice than it was perfomance , although Hiller was more reliable)

...If Toronto didn't want Giguere then they wouldn't have traded for him. He has an albatross contract, so what? That didn't stop him from being a backup in Toronto and Anaheim the last two years. It doesn't stop Redden from being a bottom pairing d-man. It doesn't stop Drury from being a 3rd liner.

Him coming back was more a result of unloding Jason Blake's contract, and for some insurance in case thier young goaltending hope for the future runs into some hurdles (which is normal and common, not something I attribute to superstition. lol)

Besides, even if, for whatever odd reason, Toronto traded for Giguere just so they could trade him the next year, wouldn't it make more sense to just let Giguere's contract expire? He only has one year left on his contract if I remember correctly.

If you want to make the assumption that Gustavsson will struggle next year based on nothing but superstition and pick another goalie, then okay. Nothing I can say to argue with that.

Lol

How's Giguere better then Mason? Giguere has been a backup for the last two years and posted mediocre to crappy stats in both of them. Mason has been a starter for the past three to four years and has posted decent to good stats in all but one of them.

He has a full year under his belt as a starter and posted okay stats in that one year (considering the the team he was on). There's no reason to think he hasn't or won't adjust.
    As there isn't any reaso th think that Giggy can't have some stretches where he spells the youg keeper as he did last season after his arrival.

Dobber Sports Genius

As there isn't any reaso th think that Giggy can't have some stretches where he spells the youg keeper as he did last season after his arrival.
    I ****ed that up. My points are itertwined in yours, if you feel like reading/responding. I don't feel like like writing those exact ones again. Lol.