Thread: Myers with Tallinder gone

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Myers with Tallinder gone

Anyone have any thoughts on how important tallinder was to Myers last year. Seams that he was a perfect steadying veteran offset to the rookie. with him gone it makes me nervous that Myers might have a sophomore slump, with his +/- going from +13 into the negatives. Any thoughts?
    [size=1]13 Team Keeper - Hold 10 (1 G max) - Hold salary dictates draft pick forfeited
    Scoring Cats (Equally Weighted): G,A,+/-,PIM,Hits,Blks,W,GAA,SV%
    Start 9F,5D,2G
    F: M.Tkachuk,B.Tkachuk,Svechnikov,Meier,J.Hughes,McTa vish,Jarvis,Johnston, Keller,Tuch,Crouse,Knies
    D: Heiskanen,LeTang,Sergachev,Power,Trouba,Provorov,M intyukov
    G: Helleybuck,Vasilevskiy,Jarry,Kochetkov

That's the million dollar question, here in Buffalo. I think he'll be fine, may not spike in points like hoped but should remain in the realm of 45 on the year, +/- may dip but not into the negative range.

I'd be more concerned if he weren't so damn talented.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Consider the following:
    2008-2009: Tim Thomas (Vezina), Zdeno Chara (Norris)
    2009-2010: Ryan Miller (Vezina), Tyler Myers (Calder)

In my opinion, Chara was better last year (at +19) then when he won the Norris (+23).
    I think Myers could be the same case. He will be a better player this year than last year but I completely expect his fantasy numbers to dip. I don't think Miller can repeat that season from last year either. It was a career year.

A great observation on Tallinder. 90% (NINETY!!!) of Myers' even-strength time last season was with Tallinder. It will be a huge, huge, huge transition.
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/frozenpo...ations&sent=go

My predictions for Myers:
    8G, 32A, 40pts, +5

Better in real life... not better in fantasy pools.

(Side Note for Chara owners: Chara had 7G, 37A last year. What seemed like a bit of a dip was really just a season when shots didn't hit the back of the net. He shot 2.7% [Myers shot 10.6%]. Traditionally, Chara averages about 6.4%. Bank on the average, continue the assists, add a healthy Savard & new Horton, maybe a surprise Seguin. Chara potential: 15G, 40A, 55pts)
    Last edited by Pengwin7; September 2, 2010 at 11:25 AM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

(Line Combo comment removed from thread. Don't want to hi-jack. Posted as new thread in "NHL Discussion".)
    Last edited by Pengwin7; September 2, 2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Topic for separate thread

Dobber Sports Star

Myers is a great guy to own in a keeper league, but I could see his numbers dipping this year, especially with Tallinder gone. My prediction: 6-28-34 and about a zero for plus-minus. But he'll bounce back in his third year.

Reasoning? More of a gut feeling than anything.
    10 Team H2H Points-based Keeper League

G, A, PIM, SOG, +/-
    W, SO, SV, GA

C: H. Sedin, Stamkos, Backstrom, Duchene, Granlund
    LW: D. Sedin, Landeskog, B. Schenn, Tatar, Boedker
    RW: P. Kane, Voracek, Hudler, Silfverberg, Toffoli
    D: Ehrhoff, Edler, Franson, Del Zotto, Myers, R. Ellis, Hamonic
    G: Quick, Bishop, Holtby, Peters, M. Jones

Farm: Terevainen, Nurse, Raanta

League Champion: 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014

12 Team Roto Dynasty League Champion: 2011 and 2013

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by natgeo View Post
    Myers is a great guy to own in a keeper league, but I could see his numbers dipping this year, especially with Tallinder gone. My prediction: 6-28-34 and about a zero for plus-minus. But he'll bounce back in his third year.

Ahhh, I love it when people have gut feels for reasoning. There's just no explanation for my gut feels. It's jsut a gut feel.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by natgeo View Post

Ouch...your prediction is horrible...
    [size=1]13 Team Keeper - Hold 10 (1 G max) - Hold salary dictates draft pick forfeited
    Scoring Cats (Equally Weighted): G,A,+/-,PIM,Hits,Blks,W,GAA,SV%
    Start 9F,5D,2G
    F: M.Tkachuk,B.Tkachuk,Svechnikov,Meier,J.Hughes,McTa vish,Jarvis,Johnston, Keller,Tuch,Crouse,Knies
    D: Heiskanen,LeTang,Sergachev,Power,Trouba,Provorov,M intyukov
    G: Helleybuck,Vasilevskiy,Jarry,Kochetkov

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    Ouch...your prediction is horrible...
    I thought we only siad that stuff till after the hockey season. Maybe a little more for me, but it's pretty good. Sophemore jinx. The Sabres have lost a lot of veterans this year, with Lydman, Tallinder, and Mair gone. I think it's going to hurt them a lot.

Dobber Sports Genius

Foolishness on the part of the Sabres to muck around with that combination. Myers had outstanding success paired with a steady, reliable guy in Tallinder. There's no explaining how/why some guys work well together. That's just the way it is. Changing this, so early in Myers' career leaves more potential for a back slide. Calder Trophy & 48 points are very cool. He also led the league in giveaways. He's a kid. Thus, allowing him more time with Tallinder to fully establish his mental toughness would have been wise. He may be forced to over extend himself, depending upon his new defensive partner(s). This enhances sophmore slump possibilities. There's also the chance that a change happens seamlessly!

Quote Originally Posted by JHM View Post
    Foolishness on the part of the Sabres to muck around with that combination. Myers had outstanding success paired with a steady, reliable guy in Tallinder. There's no explaining how/why some guys work well together. That's just the way it is. Changing this, so early in Myers' career leaves more potential for a back slide. Calder Trophy & 48 points are very cool. He also led the league in giveaways. He's a kid. Thus, allowing him more time with Tallinder to fully establish his mental toughness would have been wise. He may be forced to over extend himself, depending upon his new defensive partner(s). This enhances sophmore slump possibilities. There's also the chance that a change happens seamlessly!
    Yeah there's definitely going to be some ups and downs this year regarding his play. That said, if he weren't so incredibly gifted I'd be even more concerned.
    He should battle through just fine, w/out a decrease in ice time.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Expert

A bit off topic, but you knwo who I think is going to regres next year for the sophemore jinx? Dmtri Kulikov.