Thread: Fleury as a fantasy #1

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Fleury as a fantasy #1

First things first: 12 team ESPN keeper, 5 keepers (1 goalie), only 2 goalies allowed per team during the season. Scoring is 6pts for a win, -1.7 for a goal, 0.2 per save, and 4 more for an SO.

My league only allows 1 keeper goalie, and I got screwed when my two goalies at the end of last season were Nabokov and Fleury.

Having a goalie who plays behind a team like Pittsburgh is great, but looking at his fantasy numbers he actually finished 14th in points, behind guys like Rinne, Hiller, and Vokoun and just ahead of Halak.

Pittsburgh has a revamped defence this year, does anyone think this will help Fleury's numbers? Should I try to sell high on Fleury's 'name' and bet the farm on a lesser known goalie? I want to avoid goalies who may split games like Rask/Thomas or Varlamov/Neuvirth, but I could probably pry Halak away from his GM for a draft pick.

Thoughts, dudes?
    10 Team H2H ESPN Keeper - G, A, PIM, FOW, ATOI, SOG, HIT, BLK, DEF, STP, W, SO, SV, GAA, SV%
    ================================================== ===========================
    Forwards: McDavid, Matthews, Ovechkin, Couture, Toews, Henrique, Perry, Perron, Maroon, Galchenyuk, Neal, R. Smith, Parise, Stastny, Konecny, Patrick
    Defence: Ristolainen, Josi, Hamilton, Giordano, Fowler, Ekholm, Schultz
    Goalies: Fleury, Lundqvist, Smith
    IR: Crawford

Banned

Fleury is a mediocre to good goalie playing on a powerhouse team...he'll get you lots of wins if he stays healthy but his other stats will be middle of the road compared to some of the other goalies in the league

Administrator

In a league such as yours he'll always float in and around the top 10 but he'll never be elite. He's much too inconsistent to be elite but his numbers should improve next year because they've improved their defense. What really hurts him is his lack of shutouts, which again should improve with the improved defense. I will say this, I'd much prefer to own Fleury in your sort of league than in a roto league.

I'm not sure I'd move to pick up Halak though. I still haven't seen enough to be sure he's elite. I certainly wouldn't do it at the expense of Fleury and a pick.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I drafted Fleury last year and tried to watch him as often as possible.
    I was not impressed. Fortunately for his reputation, that save on Lidstrom in the Stanley Cup will stand the test of time and I think everybody (outside of fantasy circles) thinks he is a top notch goalie.

All that said - I expect a bump in his SO numbers with the two new defensemen.
    Looking for 4-6 SO this year. Better than ONE! WTF.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

i know fantasy wise a lot of people are not particularly high on him right now. and guys like halak are pretty high value after what he pulled in the playoffs last season.

in my opinion fleury is still learning his craft, he is still very young for a goalie and still has a couple years before hitting his prime. most of his weaknesses i see as things goalies acquire as they continue to gain more experience and tweak their game, like consistency, and better control.

I think fleury still has some way to reach his potential and you should be a bit more patient with him. Despite Halak's spectacular season, he's still relatively unproven.

despite his shortcomings, fleury is still one of the most athletic goalies in the nhl and some of his abilities and skills are based on pure talent that can't be taught. and if he can get the rest together too, i believe he can get to top 5 consistently. pittsburgh is a great situation for him to get there too.

right now he plays for a great team and will pick up wins nonetheless, if he reaches his potential over the next year or two... lookout.
    15 Team Keeper - 30 Player Roster, Full Keeper (Pts=1,W=2,SO=2,OTL=1)
    Weekly LineUps (2C,2R,2L,4D,1G)

C-Backstrom,Borgstrom,Schmaltz,Domi,J. Boqvist,Steel,Stepan,Vilardi
    RW-Atkinson,Fiala,Caufield,Terry,Radulov,Kailyev
    LW-Zucker,Ehlers,Formenton,Jost,Lindblom,Buchnevich
    D-Doughty,Hedman,Faulk,Barrie,Josi,K.Miller
    G-Fleury,Price,Hart,

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Fleury is an average start who tends to have flashes of brilliance. That's the best way to describe him because he really isn't very consistent.

He'll rack up wins just because he plays behind Pittsburgh so that alone is worth keeping him. Plus, you don't have any other legit number ones. Nabokov went to the KHL so you don't really have a choice but to keep Fleury unless you can a goalie or two from somewhere else.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by lokguin View Post
    i know fantasy wise a lot of people are not particularly high on him right now. and guys like halak are pretty high value after what he pulled in the playoffs last season.

in my opinion fleury is still learning his craft, he is still very young for a goalie and still has a couple years before hitting his prime. most of his weaknesses i see as things goalies acquire as they continue to gain more experience and tweak their game, like consistency, and better control.

I think fleury still has some way to reach his potential and you should be a bit more patient with him. Despite Halak's spectacular season, he's still relatively unproven.

despite his shortcomings, fleury is still one of the most athletic goalies in the nhl and some of his abilities and skills are based on pure talent that can't be taught. and if he can get the rest together too, i believe he can get to top 5 consistently. pittsburgh is a great situation for him to get there too.

right now he plays for a great team and will pick up wins nonetheless, if he reaches his potential over the next year or two... lookout.
    I agree 100% with these thoughts...many forget how young he is...there is room for improvement and his d has improved,add to that he has 2 of the best players in the world on his team..give him time,he will always still have value in the future if you decide he's not good enough.
    God bless us,everyone of us!

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by WildHendy View Post
    I agree 100% with these thoughts...many forget how young he is...there is room for improvement and his d has improved,add to that he has 2 of the best players in the world on his team..give him time,he will always still have value in the future if you decide he's not good enough.
    exactly what i wanted to add. Fleury is 25 years old, many seem to forget that, because it feels like he´s in the NHL for a very long time. His best 10 years are still ahead of him, and if you look at other goalies (Roy, Brodeur, Luongo), the haven´t reached their prime and played on a high level for longer periods before they had some seasons under their belt.

I just want to add 2 big reasons to keep Fleury and to trust him:

1. He his able to get to a higher level at the end of the season. So in the middle of your fantasy hockey play-offs, you´ll have a very good chance to have a red hot goalie. Fleury has won me a championship allready and brought me to the finals the year after.

2. Paul Martin

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    exactly what i wanted to add. Fleury is 25 years old, many seem to forget that, because it feels like he´s in the NHL for a very long time. His best 10 years are still ahead of him, and if you look at other goalies (Roy, Brodeur, Luongo), the haven´t reached their prime and played on a high level for longer periods before they had some seasons under their belt.

I just want to add 2 big reasons to keep Fleury and to trust him:

1. He his able to get to a higher level at the end of the season. So in the middle of your fantasy hockey play-offs, you´ll have a very good chance to have a red hot goalie. Fleury has won me a championship allready and brought me to the finals the year after.

2. Paul Martin
    3.Z.Michalek and a hungrier team
    God bless us,everyone of us!