Thread: Pekka Rinne

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Pekka Rinne

Reading a lot of posts on him. Most of him seem to rank him as a 2nd tier. Not tier 1.

Dobber seems to rank him tier 1 with 40 wins and 7 SO. What do you guys think?

Knowing he will goal most games, is he a 40+ or more of a 30-35 goalie?

Thanks!
    The puck stops here!
    8 teams, Points only, 2 pts goalie win (+2 for blank)
    The best 12F -- 6D -- 2G count.
    Real salary (not cap hit), 65M salary cap

Dobber Sports Apprentice

A lot of it is a mathematical calculation when it comes to his ranking, and I wouldn't draft just based on that. Regardles I sitll do consider him tier 1 regardless of whether my personal opinion does not have him ranking in the top 3 because he is STARTING to show that his first seasons performance was no fluke. Still I personally would grab a more proven goalie such as Luongo, Lundqvist, Miller, Brodeur(If it is a 1 year league), or Bryzgalov before drafting Rinne. Also it really depends on what stats your league looks at. Rinne is going to likely be a goalie who steals games, gets you shutouts and holds a decent SV%. I think he is a goalie who is going to have to work a bit harder to get wins because of Nashville's weak offense (I expect it to be weak this season). Also I feel like Nashville is probably in one of the toughest divisions in hockey.

10 Team Partial Keeper (6F, 3D, 1G) - Yahoo H2H League
    5 Year Keeper Max
    Positions: 3C,6W,6D,2G,7BN,3IR+,1IR
    Forwards/Defensemen:G=3, A=2, +/-=1, PPP=1, SHP=1, GWG=1, SOG=0.2, FW=0.1, F=-0.1, Hit=0.2, BLK=0.5
    Goalies:W =2 ,GA=-1, SV=0.2, SHO=3
    [C]- A.Matthews, B.Nelson, C.Verhaeghe (C,W), R.McLeod, Y.Sharangovich
    [W]- N.Kucherov, K.Fiala, C.Keller, J.Gaudreau, E.Kane, P.Kane, D.Batherson, T.Wilson, J.Peterka, E.Tolvanen
    [D]- R.Dahlin, K.Letang, D.Nurse, J.Carlson, O.Ekman-Larsson, T.Harley, T.Krug
    [G] T.Demko, V.Vanecek, S.Wedgewood
    [IR] - D.Hamilton, A.Hill

Dobber Sports Star

Rinne has an elite skill set. Me concerns with him are more the team he plays for and the division he is competing in. Having said that, Trotz always seems to get the most out of his Preds squad. He is the undisputed starter on a defense-first team. I can see him being in the 35-40 win range, depending on whether the Preds make a run for the playoffs or not.
    10 Team H2H Points-based Keeper League

G, A, PIM, SOG, +/-
    W, SO, SV, GA

C: H. Sedin, Stamkos, Backstrom, Duchene, Granlund
    LW: D. Sedin, Landeskog, B. Schenn, Tatar, Boedker
    RW: P. Kane, Voracek, Hudler, Silfverberg, Toffoli
    D: Ehrhoff, Edler, Franson, Del Zotto, Myers, R. Ellis, Hamonic
    G: Quick, Bishop, Holtby, Peters, M. Jones

Farm: Terevainen, Nurse, Raanta

League Champion: 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014

12 Team Roto Dynasty League Champion: 2011 and 2013

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I'm just not as hopefull for Nashville as a team this year. I think that the loss of Arnott is going to hurt on both sides of the puck. I don't think that just because he is going to get a bunch of starts that he is going to hit 38,39,40 wins. And even though he had a nice number of shutouts last year, which he won't repeat this year, his G.A.A (2.53) was a little high for my liking as a #1 goalie. (which is where he'll be drafted) I want my #1 goalie to have a GAA somewhere in the 2.20 - 2.38 area. I don't think he'll do that. That is also why I will not take a guy like M.A.F as a #1 goalie based off of how many wins he should accumulate. (Then again, if Rinne gets 3 shutouts, he'll most likely beat M.A.F in that category. )

Long story short: He is in my top 10. But I will hate myself if I have to hitch my wagons to a very young goalie on a team that I don't believe will be very good at all. I would rather go a little safer than him.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I agree with you NYR. Also I'd like to add a bit of my own strategy into goaltender drafting. If you can get one that does it all thats great, but I try to find one that I know will get me the SV% and GAA on a consistent basis (worrying a bit less about the wins). Then I'll try to draft the average goalie on a good team to get me those wins. Heck last year I survived with Vokoun and Theodore/Huet and made it to the finals.

10 Team Partial Keeper (6F, 3D, 1G) - Yahoo H2H League
    5 Year Keeper Max
    Positions: 3C,6W,6D,2G,7BN,3IR+,1IR
    Forwards/Defensemen:G=3, A=2, +/-=1, PPP=1, SHP=1, GWG=1, SOG=0.2, FW=0.1, F=-0.1, Hit=0.2, BLK=0.5
    Goalies:W =2 ,GA=-1, SV=0.2, SHO=3
    [C]- A.Matthews, B.Nelson, C.Verhaeghe (C,W), R.McLeod, Y.Sharangovich
    [W]- N.Kucherov, K.Fiala, C.Keller, J.Gaudreau, E.Kane, P.Kane, D.Batherson, T.Wilson, J.Peterka, E.Tolvanen
    [D]- R.Dahlin, K.Letang, D.Nurse, J.Carlson, O.Ekman-Larsson, T.Harley, T.Krug
    [G] T.Demko, V.Vanecek, S.Wedgewood
    [IR] - D.Hamilton, A.Hill

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think this is the year Nashville finally drops in the standings.
    The central is much tougher with CBJ's young kids growing & Halak in STL.

If your league has SV% & GAA, Rinne is a Tier 1 goalie, IMO.
    If your league is just W & SO. The NAS "team effect" drops him to a Tier 2 goalie, IMO.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I think this is the year Nashville finally drops in the standings.
    The central is much tougher with CBJ's young kids growing & Halak in STL.

If your league has SV% & GAA, Rinne is a Tier 1 goalie, IMO.
    If your league is just W & SO. The NAS "team effect" drops him to a Tier 2 goalie, IMO.
    I disagree. Rinne will do just fine. They lost what Arnott and Hamhuis and replaced them with Lombardi. They have an extremely deep defence to replace Hamhuis. Every year you hear the same comments. They lose Radulov, they lose Hartnell, They lose Timmonen, Vokoun, Mason. The success of Nashville is a team defense approach. I actually think they will do even better this year than last because everybody expects them to fail. Besides losing Arnott won't hurt them at all because he was always injured anyway