Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - August 23

The King of Diatribes

Default Fantasy Mailbag - August 23

Welcome to another edition of the School of Block fantasy mailbag! I'll be around all afternoon to answer your fantasy goalie questions. Anything from prospects to predictions to compare/contrast goalies, etc. I'll get 'er done for as many people as I can.

Give me an hour to get some errands done and I'll be back around 11:30a MST.

School of Block should be posted around it's usual time, so check for that as well! Feel free to leave follow up questions on any of the six topics I broached in today's lesson and thanks for reading everyone =D

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

How important would be for me to draft Corey Crawford in a keeper league if I own Marty Turco. I have Kipper, Turco, Gustavsson and Markstrom. I plan to get Jack Campbell. Is there any need to get Corey Crawford as well?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Currently own Luongo and Price, lost Nabby to the KHL. I need to make a play for a goalie now, and didn't know if Turco was a good option. What kind of a player should I give up for him? I know he's a bit of a risk, but it might be worth a shot, and since we're expanding our league, I might be able to get him for players I'd be losing anyway.

I also might have some good options in a redraft...because of the expansion
    Y! H2H-12 Team; 6th yr - keep 14 for 12-13 season. (*kept from last year)

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,SOG,SH%, HITS
    W,GA,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO

3C- *Stamkos, *Tavares, *Ribiero, Little (+RW), Brassard, Roy
    3LW- *Ovechkin, *Lupul (+RW), Jokinen (+C), McDonald (+C)
    3RW- *Kessel, *Semin (+LW), *Skinner (+C), *Voracek, Purcell
    4D- *Phanuef, *Green, Carle, Wisniewski, Ellis
    4Util
    2G- *Luongo, *Halak, *Holtby, Lindback
    IR - None (yet)

Dobber Sports Ace

want to know how many year before reaching the nhl

climie
    riopel
    lalande
    bachman
    desjardins
    calvin pickard
    Member of Comish Dynasty 24 team (since the beginning) (Nordique)
    Member of King Of Hockey League (Columbus)
    Member of Great Dynasty (Colorado)
    Member of United Hockey League (Los Angeles)
    Member of Global Hockey league (since the beginning) (Washington)
    Member of Vnhl (Quebec)

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by kytmagic View Post
    How important would be for me to draft Corey Crawford in a keeper league if I own Marty Turco. I have Kipper, Turco, Gustavsson and Markstrom. I plan to get Jack Campbell. Is there any need to get Corey Crawford as well?
    I would say your focus should be on getting Campbell. Turco isn't an injury prone goalie and he'll carry the workload in Chicago. It will be interesting to see how quick Joel Quenneville will be to hook Turco in bad games (same dynamic as Huet last year) but I expect Turco to be a great fit in Chicago.

There's also the chance that Hannu Toivonen finds a way to repeat history and somehow steal the job from Crawford...but I would be blown away if that happened again.

Your definitely better off focusing on Campbell. You have great goalies at good ages so I wouldn't stress out too much about having the Blackhawks tandem.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxillini35 View Post
    Currently own Luongo and Price, lost Nabby to the KHL. I need to make a play for a goalie now, and didn't know if Turco was a good option. What kind of a player should I give up for him? I know he's a bit of a risk, but it might be worth a shot, and since we're expanding our league, I might be able to get him for players I'd be losing anyway.

I also might have some good options in a redraft...because of the expansion
    Turco is a fine option in my opinion. He's on a team with still plenty of offensive and defensive talent despite the losses and he's expected to be the workhorse, so long as Quenneville doesn't play too many mental games with him.

I can't really answer what kind of player you should give up for him ... I don't have nearly the same kind of insight on players.

Also I wouldn't consider Turco a bit of a risk. I think every goalie that was traded over the summer comes with the same kind of risk, so it's basically non-existant. He's healthy, he's got a great opportunity and he's looking to prove to everyone in the world he isn't a playoff dud. Should be a good goalie for you to replace the loss of Nabby with. But as far as who to give up, I wouldn't really know how to answer that effectively.

Dobber Sports Star

Hey Justin! As always, these are great.

What's Lehner's likely timeframe to make an impact in the NHL? Goalie prospects, brought along well, can take quite a few years from the time they're drafted to make an impact, so I'm wary!

I'm looking at the 6-10 slots on your top-100 prospects list (Lehner, Campbell, Stalock, Salak, Tokarski) and wondering who will have the earliest impact. Any thoughts?

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by NordiqueFan View Post
    want to know how many year before reaching the nhl

climie
    riopel
    lalande
    bachman
    desjardins
    calvin pickard
    Climie - 1 to 2
    Riopel - Around 3
    Lalande - Probably never
    Bachman - Probably 2
    Desjardins - 1 to 2
    Pickard - In Colorado, probably 4 at the least

Climie's arrival depends on Montoya. They will battle it out this year to see who backs up Bryzgalov in the 2011-12 season.

Riopel's big moment is this training camp. He has to beat out Bobrovsky for an AHL gig.

Kevin Lalande is all but done ... playing in Russia this year really hurts his future value.

Richard Bachman is right behind Brent Krahn on the depth chart so expect 1-2 years.

Desjardins could see games this year. Or that could go to Tokarski. Basically those two are battling it out to see who is the legit #3 goalie and next backup to Ellis. I don't think the Lightning are very comfortable with Smith and for good reason.

Calvin Pickard is a ways away. Especially if he's stuck in Colorado's system. They take forever to give their goalies a chance. Peter Budaj is a good example. They drafted him, developed him slowly, hasn't turned into much of anything but is a great athlete. Be wary.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks for doing this.

My question is regarding the likeliness of some backups stealing the spotlights and becoming starter. I currently have Lundqvist and Anderson as starter but I am looking for a gamble in my draft. Who is the most likely to do that ? A ranking would be greatly appreciated.

Bernier
    Greiss
    Crawford
    Neuvirth
    Others that you can think of ?

Thanks again!
    Keeper straight points league (1G=1Pt, 1A=1Pt, W=2PTS and SO=+1PT)
    Dress 14F, 4D and 2G
    Protect 15 (in bold):

Forwards: Malkin, Sedin, Spezza, Stastny, Heatley, Gaborik, Iginla, Frolik, Voracek,Ladd, Steen, Selanne, Huselius, Bozak, Ruutu, Horcoff, Whitney, Bouchard, Galiardi

Defensemen: Boyle, Karlsson, Yandle, Lidstrom, Pronger, Foster, White

Goaltenders: Lundqvist, Bryzgalov, Anderson, Neuvirth

Farm (82 or less games played): Ekman-Larsson, Benn

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypoolgeek View Post
    Hey Justin! As always, these are great.

What's Lehner's likely timeframe to make an impact in the NHL? Goalie prospects, brought along well, can take quite a few years from the time they're drafted to make an impact, so I'm wary!

I'm looking at the 6-10 slots on your top-100 prospects list (Lehner, Campbell, Stalock, Salak, Tokarski) and wondering who will have the earliest impact. Any thoughts?
    It's good to be wary with Lehner. I'm really surprised they are pushing him to the pro's after just one season in the OHL. He had a good rookie year, but by all accounts he's still very raw-skilled.

So his timeframe to simply make the NHL may have been cut in half, but his time to make AN IMPACT in the NHL could now be longer. The Sens are taking quite a risk trying to put him in the AHL so soon, but they know more than I do about his potential and abilities.

Therefore I think it's a "wait and see" situation right now for Lehner. Let's see where he ends up this season. If he sticks in the AHL, the kid has more potential than anyone knew. If he's sent back to his OHL team, it's a smart move by the Sens and they continue to develop him in an effective manner, as he'll play another 50-60 games this season.

From the list you provided (those spots) I would say Stalock is going to have the earliest impact of them all. Obviously Salak's rank for the next Top-100 update will be lowered due to the fact he's heading over to Sweden.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by LPPQWhalers View Post
    Thanks for doing this.

My question is regarding the likeliness of some backups stealing the spotlights and becoming starter. I currently have Lundqvist and Anderson as starter but I am looking for a gamble in my draft. Who is the most likely to do that ? A ranking would be greatly appreciated.

Bernier
    Greiss
    Crawford
    Neuvirth
    Others that you can think of ?

Thanks again!
    Not sure if you saw the School of Block I did last Monday, the Diabolical Backups, but it looked at precisely this same thing ... the likeliness that a backup could play more than current expectations.

Here is the link: http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...man&Itemid=100

You'll notice all of the guys you listed above are included on mine, so you are looking at the right guys.

If I had to choose one, it would be Neuvirth. He has the capability to start 50+ games. I don't think Greiss is going to get that opportunity, nor with Crawford.

Bernier is the bigger gamble, as he clearly has the ability to start 50+ games but one of Quick/Ersberg has to be moved first for that to happen.

So the safest bet is Neuvy, but a gamble with higher reward is Bernier!

Dobber Sports Genius

Which of these three do you think will be starting in years? I know Elliot is starting now, but will he still be in 3 years?

Elliott, Brian G OTT
    Crawford, Corey G CHI
    Karlson, Henrik G CAL
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I've got Rask in keeper league and will have to draft more goalies. Could you rank those for 10/11 season ONLY?

Lehtonen
    Leighton
    Ellis
    C.Mason
    Thomas
    Elliott
    Giguere
    Gustavsson
    Neuvirth
    Greiss
    Leclaire
    Crawford

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by DerekReese View Post
    Which of these three do you think will be starting in years? I know Elliot is starting now, but will he still be in 3 years?

Elliott, Brian G OTT
    Crawford, Corey G CHI
    Karlson, Henrik G CAL
    Tough question. I don't see any of these goalies being a legitimate clear-cut starter in the 2013-14 season. But depending on how they evolve and the situation they are in, all three of them have the potential to be a starter in 3 more years.

To rank them in order of ability to be a starter in three more years, it would be:

Crawford, Karlsson, Elliot.

Like throwing darts blindfolded, all three could end up in totally different situations in three more years. I like all three of their upside, but long-term starting tenures are getting few and far between these days. There's more turnover than ever before.

Really tough question, but they are all kind of "borderline" starter potential to begin with. Obviously Elliot has the upper hand since he's got experience splitting time with Leclaire, but I think he's getting close to reaching his talent ceiling. Karlsson is a wait and see sort of deal and Crawford is the one with the potential and development lineage to claim a starting role in 3 more years.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Columbus Goalies

GG-
    Piggybacking on the question above about Crawford, Karlsson, and Elliot- Where would Wesslau fit into that 'darts at a wall' ranking system?

Also can you give some background on the young goalie that CLB invited to camp?

thanks