Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: How to do research?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: How to do research?

This has been a very helpful read. and I will doubtless re-read several times. Only been in a H2H league for a few years where the activity has been sporadic a few months into the season, but want to get into another league more long-term. Until I get accepted somewhere I am doing my best to research and learn as much as possible!
    Fantrax 20 Team H2H 14 Keeper Daily
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP SHP Hit Blk FOW W GAA SV SV% SHO

C Steen Horcoff Umberger Brodziak Griffith
    LW Sedin Palat Roussel Tatar Bergenheim Kulemin
    RW Vey Williams Stafford Toffoli Wingels
    D Karlsson Suban Maata Ceci Yandle Streit Hunwick
    G Crawford, Allen, Nabakov

IR Boyle Murray Pirri Chara Merrill

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

anyone have suggestions for any sites besides Dobber/Hockey's future/etc?
    I have all the team prospect pages ... but another Dobber would be great )
    31 team permanent keeper. 12F, 6D, +1 Skater, 2G, 5 Reserve, 8 Prospects (744 skaters, 62 goalies, 248 prospects)
    Goalie - 20 W, 2.5 save, -15 GA, 15 SO
    Skater - 25 point, 2 PIM, 1 Hit, 2 Block, +/- 10, TOI 0.2/min, Special team points +5, Fight 5
    Strict NHL salary cap & floor

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by SuperLight View Post
    Another Dobber doesn't exist. This is the best spot for all your fantasy hockey knowledge.
    12 Team H2H (Daily) - Keep 10 + 5(Farm)
    4C/3LW/3RW/4D/3G/4Bench/3IR
    G A Pts +/- STP GWG SOG/ W Sv% GAA SHO
    Centers:
    A. Barkov (IR), C. McDavid, J. Carter, Y. Gourde(LW), N. Paul(LW), C. Stephenson
    LWs:
    F. Forsberg, J. Guentzel, A. Duclair(RW), E. Haula(C), A. Killorn
    RWs:
    N. Ehlers(LW), V. Tarasenko, F. Gaudreau(C), V. Podkolzin
    D:
    T. Chabot, C. Makar, M. Dumba, OEL, N. Schmidt
    G:
    S. Bobrovky, T. Demko, J. Gibson(IR), A. Stolarz(IR)
    Farm:
    J. Annunen, A. Kaliyev, A. Lundell, F. Lysell, M. Rossi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I've noticed that people who have won or been successful have had unanticipated performers. Its easy to draft the consistent producers but you have to keep an eye out for the people that are being talked about or beginning to get hot. Last year amongst other players the winner had Steen who he drafted in the 8th round but produced like a top performer. This year a guy picked up Dubnyk and turned his fantasy season around.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by skinnypete88 View Post
    I've noticed that people who have won or been successful have had unanticipated performers. Its easy to draft the consistent producers but you have to keep an eye out for the people that are being talked about or beginning to get hot. Last year amongst other players the winner had Steen who he drafted in the 8th round but produced like a top performer. This year a guy picked up Dubnyk and turned his fantasy season around.
    I agree - it's not the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks that make or break your team. It's the 8th, 9th, 10th round guys who end up killin it for you. It's like buying something you thought was pretty ordinary at an antique shop and realizing a year later it's worth 10x what you paid for it! Three years ago I took a chance on Ben Bishop, before he was even close to being a start for TB...now look at him!

Dobber Sports Giant

Youtube and other video feeds tend to give you an understanding of a player's explosiveness, skating, shooting, passing and skill-set. The more videos you can watch on a given player, the better the perception.

Videos combined with various forums (and conversations) and informational sites tend to give you a good overall perspective of a given player.

I would avoid most radio shows though... Don't trust the callers' opinions and most hosts are just regurgitating someone else's material.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Pro

Puckalytics is a good site but sometimes too much info. Left wing lock nice little app shows you line combinations and goalie starts
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Pro

Every time I see Dubnyk, it makes me smile. Traded Price last year to get Taresenko picked up Dubnyk and Hammond and finished first and kept Taresenko this year��
    Hope I can smile like that at the end of this year
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Recruit

You should just go to youtube and nhl.com for any of the fantasy NHL thing. You can also take a look on dobbersports discussions... it may be very useful for you.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Best thing to do is buy fantasy guides. Yes multiple guides. I like to see what all the experts are saying about the players and what they project the players will do for the up coming season. I'm new to Dobber and I just purchased his guide and I'm blown away with all the info he has. I highly recommend you purchase at least 3 fantasy guides just so you can compare them all and get a rough idea as to how a player will do.

I also think you should check out NHL.com and you can look up all the stats on the players years back and see how they do. It's really frustrating at first cause your basically looking at numbers. But once you've been in the fantasy world and get to know the players it will come very easy to you. Best of luck this season and if you have any questions you can message me. I'm new to this forum and so far these guys are great so any questions you can direct em all here.
    Keeper Pool 1

6 Person keepe league H2H
    5 Keepers
    1pt G&A for F&D
    extra pt for PPP
    extra pt for GWG
    2pts Goalie Win
    3 extra pts for Goalie SO
    START 12F 6D 2G

KEEPERS
    Tarasenko- Gaudreau- Karlsson- Eichel- Laine

Keeper Pool 2

10 Person Keeper League H2H
    2 points for G,SHG,SHA,GWG
    1 point for A,PPG,PPA,
    3 points for GOALIE WIN
    2 extra points for SO
    1 extra point for OT Loss
    START 12F 7D 2G

KEEPERS
    McDavid-Eichel-Kucherov-Marner-Karlsson

If you ain't first your last!!

Dobber Sports Ace

I really like the dobber Guides (all of them) articles and rankings. But you should also put you own league cats in perspective 1st.
    Plan to line up majority of your main core to hit prime together would be ideal. Look at some Hockey analytics and reviews.
    Contracts for the future to see who maybe on the way out etc. But anywhere other then THE HOCKEY NEWS you should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperLight View Post
    Future Hockey Prospects
    Elite Prospects
    NHL lineups / Goalie starter
    CapFriendly
    Corsi/Fenwick
    2015-16-17, 23 Champion
    12Team Roto Keeper (5keepers) Weekly lineups
    Player: G, A,+/-, PPG, PPA, SOG = 2pts
    Player: +/-, Blocked Shots = 1pt
    Goalie: GGP, GAA, SPct, W, SO = 1pt
    Lineup: 3C, 4W, 4D 2G, 6Farm/Prospect Players

C: C.McDavid, T.Thompson
    W: K.Kaprizov, ,
    D: A. Fox,
    G: I.Shesterkin,

Farm/Prospects free carry: C: M. Savoie W:
    D: L. Hutson G: D. Levi

Dobber Sports Initiate

I agree with everything said previously in this forum re: this topic. Especially, tracking via a spreadsheet. I use past season production, and avg. category metrics/game... I also multiply Avg.'s by 82 games to see what expected production would be w/o injuries. I always re-allocate my player rankings pre-draft to take into account age, injury expectations (some guys are always on IR), expectations for next season, guys I personally like and predict will perform up to/better than previous seasons, and value for draft round. You will notice when you place players into draft round categories that there will be many bargains that you can pick up in later rounds.

Another thing I generally do is track yearly stats for all players and per game statistics. In a H2H league I look at my roster, the amount of games played and then use those per game numbers to predict my team performance by category. I do the same for my weekly opponent and then try to make 1 or 2 weekly adds off the WW to be more competitive in categories where I'm weaker. I also use it to write off categories I have no shot at winning against a particular opponent. For instance: if my opponent is very strong in FW, I will not pick up a center or try to win this category, I will instead look at categories where I am in close contention SOG, BLK, HIT's or offensive stats... Opponent teams are all constructed differently so coming up w/ a game plan per opponent is very effective. Plus, in my league, the top places are all decided by very small margins... every category/point counts. I've lost a championship by 3 pts before... it definitely makes you look back at a point during the season where you missed an opportunity to get it sting.

Also: I have to stress the importance of the leftwinglock website for WW pickups. Yes, as mentioned previously, the site does tell you the starting goalie for each day and provide the source of the information, however, it also has great line metrics for who plays with who, who is playing on the powerplay, pk etc AND AT WHAT PERCENTAGES this is happening. leftwinglock shows statistics by season, last game, last 3 games, and last 10 games. It also shows how lines are constructed by the coaches in each day's practice, morning skate and pregame skate for ES, PP, and PK. This info is very useful as players cycle lines and get moved on and off of PP lines. With this information you can really pick up on current trends for the short term and compare players across teams. The percentages players have been playing on different PP lines and at even strength is very useful. At even strength it can show just how much a coach likes a current pairing and if he's thinking about moving a guy off a top line. On my spreadsheet, I have a list of all my potential adds who are available on WW, what line they skate on, what #PP they are on, as what categories they will help in.
    League: H2H - Keep 15
    Managers: 12
    Rosters: 25 (4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 5BN)

Scoring Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, PPA, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, BLK, HIT, W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SO

Projected Keepers in Bold (Rebuild)
    C: Bedard, Suzuki, Cozens, Lundell
    LW: Laine, Raymond, Zegras, Byfield
    RW: Caufield, Jarvis, Perfetti, Kakko, Kaliyev, Marchenko,
    D: Seider, Bouchard, L. Hughes, Sanderson, Korchinski, Romanov, Brodin
    G: Demko, Thompson, Kochetkov
    2023 Picks Rd: (1: 1, 3, 12), (3: 25), (4: 37), (5: 51, 57), (6: 63), 7, 8

Championships: 2016, 2018, 2019

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by FFleming5 View Post

Also: I have to stress the importance of the leftwinglock website for WW pickups. Yes, as mentioned previously, the site does tell you the starting goalie for each day and provide the source of the information, however, it also has great line metrics for who plays with who, who is playing on the powerplay, pk etc AND AT WHAT PERCENTAGES this is happening. leftwinglock shows statistics by season, last game, last 3 games, and last 10 games.
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/frozenpool/
    http://goaliepost.com/

All of this is available under the Dobberhockey umbrella.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Novice

I don't know if anyone still checks this thread out, but I'm having difficulty finding sites that allow me to set an age range when I'm searching for stats. So many Dobber writers use lists such as "Since 2011, x number of players under 21 have scored at this pace while yada yada", and I haven't been able to find a site that combines all the search criteria I'm looking for.

FYI, I was specifically looking for career comparables to Jordan Greenway, trying to see how similarly built players (hugemongous) faired through their age 22 seasons
    Fantrax 14 Team Dynasty H2H Points League
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 11bench 15minors
    G A SoG PPP SHP Hits Blks HT
    W Saves GA SHO

C: Horvat, W Karlsson, White, J. Hughes, Little
    LW: Gaudreau, Kreider, Hintz, Forsberg
    RW: Burakovski, Virtanen
    LW/RW: Bjorkstrand, Svechnikov, Burakovsky, Farabee, Greenway
    D: Pulock, Dumba, Heiskanen, Fowler, Murray, Murphy, Dunn, Grzelcyk, Pelech
    G: Hutton, Kinkaid, Merzlikins
    Farm Highlights: Batherson, Puistola, Koivula , Tippett, Madden, Dobson, Sandin, Rasmussen, L Brown, Nedeljkovic, Mahura, Capobianco, N Robertson, , Rafferty, Alexeyev
    Picks: 2020- 2x Rd 1, 1x Rd 3

Full rebuild mode after inheriting a dumpster fire...

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Mmasked View Post
    I don't know if anyone still checks this thread out, but I'm having difficulty finding sites that allow me to set an age range when I'm searching for stats. So many Dobber writers use lists such as "Since 2011, x number of players under 21 have scored at this pace while yada yada", and I haven't been able to find a site that combines all the search criteria I'm looking for.

FYI, I was specifically looking for career comparables to Jordan Greenway, trying to see how similarly built players (hugemongous) faired through their age 22 seasons
    elite prospects probably offers the best search options that I can think of
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4