Thread: Off-Topic: Justin's goaltending ability

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Off-Topic: Justin's goaltending ability

So Justin, how would you rank YOUR goaltending ability? Do you have the mental makeup? What style do you play? What are your stats like? In a one year league counting W, SV%, GAA, SO whereabouts should we draft you?

The King of Diatribes

HA!!!!!!!!!! WTF. This question ROCKSSSSSS.

If I had to compare myself to any goalie on my Top-100 Rankings, I would say I'm a lot like Josh Tordjman. I am a TINY dude. 6-0 but like 160 pounds soaking wet. It has always held me back. But I have an extremely high skill set and I can read plays extremely well. I have a great understanding for the position and am always learning and wanting to improve. I do not have a lot of durability but I can steal games and get into some crazy hot streaks. I am also like him off the ice as I donate a lot of my money to Hockey Fights Cancer haha =D

I just experienced a 24-game winning streak over the last 2 seasons and won a championship, but it would be equivalent to doing that in the ECHL, a step below where I should be playing (3rd division in Rocky Mountain Hockey League) and then being called up and continuing to win in the AHL. I could easily play in the RMHL 1st division, but there's only 8 teams and they are always fielding the same roster, so I can never get on a team. But I would probably have more off nights in that division - it's basically the best adult hockey you can find in the Rocky Mountains and midwest. The league has been around for 20+ years and is run by former DU Pioneers captain so all the players are really good in the upper divisions. Former juniors and college guys, stuff like that. Even some guys from Europe that ski all season in the mountains.

My style is similar to Tordjman's as I have long arms and legs and really straight back and seamless butterfly and sharp footwork due to a light frame. I play a step too deep in my crease and I don't consistently play high enough to be effective at any kind of pro level. I have excellent rebound control and one of the fastest gloves you will find in Colorado. My style is much more Americanized in the sense I'll stand up to make a save and I'm pretty good at playing an efficient style as well. I am extremely adaptive and often make little adjustments to my style that aren't necessarily visible to the naked eye but I can feel them and they make a difference.

I am constantly a lock at about a 2.45 GAA and a very high save percentage since I face a lot of shots. I have a .922% heading into the playoffs this summer and during the regular winter season I had a .928 and the 23 game winning streak. It was by far the best run of my entire life HAHA. Just not the highest level, so it's not as impressive as it sounds. Still had to make the saves though.

If I really committed to gaining weight and bulking up, I might be good enough to go play in Sweden or Finland and make a team out of training camp. But right now I'm still way too small. I'm like the Enroth in a sea of Koskinens!!!!!!!!!!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i laughed like 10 times reading justin's reply LOL, nice question leafs2010!

Banned

this is a hilarious thread, I love it...he deserves a fantasy blurb

"Goldman has the skill and drive to compete at the next level but needs to hit the weight room and the buffet line to add some bulk to his lanky frame"

I got an extra 20 lbs I would be happy to donate to you

The King of Diatribes

There's a better chance of being struck by lightning in space than a kid that learned to play in Texas in the late-90's making it to the NHL. Only two guys from my class made it pro and that was David McKee who is now in jail for date-raping some college chick (Ducks prospect and Cornell standout) and Andrew Martin is playing in the Central Hockey League. I merely played a few games of juniors in Nor-Pac league and then went to play ACHA at CSU here in Colorado. But only my size held me back.

I am of course banking on there being an Avs game where they need an emergency third goalie. I always bring my pads to the games and I've already told the Avs press box they can call me down to the teams if they are looking for a warm-up goalie or bench goalie HEHE. =)

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    this is a hilarious thread, I love it...he deserves a fantasy blurb

"Goldman has the skill and drive to compete at the next level but needs to hit the weight room and the buffet line to add some bulk to his lanky frame"

I got an extra 20 lbs I would be happy to donate to you
    Give itttttttt to meeeeeeeeeeeee arghhh. I gain weight slowly, but as soon as I skate a few times in the same week, it melts away. And the process has been going like this for 10-15 years.

LOL awesome response. I love how you pimped yourself and didn't hold back with a generic humble response. I now expect game updates throughout the season!

And hey you never know, you may be able to fill in for the Avs like the Canucks did years ago with a university goalie.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...c-751bdc840b6d

The King of Diatribes

My one "NHL" experience came back in 2006. I was helping out some Avalanche players coach a Velocity Sports Youth Hockey camp in Denver. I geared up on the last day and was joined by Scott Parker and Dan Hinote.

http://www.twitpic.com/90kjp

I can speak to you all now and say that when Parker took some slapshots from just inside the blueline, I went to hell and back. And somehow I survived. He has one of the hardest shots in the world and I can't believe he didn't punch a hole through my chest. I didn't make saves, pucks just hit me. It was a freaky adrenaline rushing experience.

Dan Hinote took breakaways on me and I stopped him probably half of the times. That was also pretty awesome haha.

And this is my butterfly 2010 with my crazy Hexagon Grill mask!!!

http://www.twitpic.com/1zow3y

I want to play in Finland!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post

I am of course banking on there being an Avs game where they need an emergency third goalie. I always bring my pads to the games and I've already told the Avs press box they can call me down to the teams if they are looking for a warm-up goalie or bench goalie HEHE. =)

seriously dude, how cool would that be to be called in to play the 3rd due to unexpected injuries and wind up stoning Malkin on a breakaway or something? that would be a dream come true

That is one awesome honeycomb cage.

The King of Diatribes

I'll have another 41 chances next season for something like that to happen. A man can dream, can't he??????

Even a pre-game skate would be enough. I would only focus on surviving. And trying to make one awesome glove save heh.