Thread: Smith, Leclaire or Thomas?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Smith, Leclaire or Thomas?

I have a draft coming up and will need to pick a goalie. These three are available. Smith, Leclaire and Thomas. All are likely to be the back up. I have ranked them as follows let me know if you think I have them in the right order.

Smith/(Ellis as backup)
    Elliot/(Leclaire may be starter?)
    Rask/Thomas will be backup

I have Smith as the first choice as I think he is likely the starting goalie for TB.

Your advice?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Id put my money on Elliott, he's likely to play the most games. Playing with Leclaire all but gaurantees it.
    12 team keeper, 8 keepers, Points only(1 point G/A, 2W+3SO)
    $65M salary cap 12F 6D 2G active roster

Dobber Sports Genius

Smith/Ellis - this is a dead heat in my opinion. Either can forge ahead. Both are second class starters, and can be pushed aside by another.

Elliott/Leclaire - Leclaire is head and shoulders above Elliott regarding talent. They both need a defense first system to thrive. Leclaire's career has been exceptionally disappointing, due to injuries. A healthy Leclaire would surge ahead of Elliott and soon leave him in the distance. The more likely scenario is a repeat of last season. Two starts for Leclaire and one for Elliott. Leclaire gets injured, Elliott gets to drive the car. Leclaire struggles to find his form for a bit, so they split. Eventually Leclaire usurps Elliott again.

Thomas - I think they invented the phrase "Doubting Thomas" for Fantasy poolies. Constant over achiever is getting very long on the tooth though. 400 days removed from being honoured as the best goaltender in the world. Is he really dog food? Is he really the under dog? Can the Bruins not find someone to take on his contract? Certainly he is a contender to re-surface somewhere this year. The poolies that have the nerve to have him at that point in time, will be rewarded. He probably splits with Rask this year. They've got to want to get him into 40 games. How else will they trade him? Send Thomas/Ryder to Edmonton for Khabibulin/prospect and then get cap relief due to injury?

Who to take? This is a classic 'Pick your own poison'.

Dobber Sports Icon

I'm, assuming this is a keeper league but my comments remain the same whether it's keeper or one year. I too like Smith the most of the three as far as combination of talent / starting potential goes, he's the most likely guy, in my opinion, to run with the starting job and that's even with the Ellis signing, and Tampa will be a surprisingly good team this year from a wins perspective with that great forward corps. However, given the concussion worries with Smith and the well-known injury history of Leclaire, I like Elliott the best of those 3 for your needs. However none of these options is too appetizing, so if you're really relying on this goalie for this year and your stats favor, I'd look for a trade possibility.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Initiate

While I saw Smith, Leclaire, or Thomas as my best bets for the starting spot in a keeper league Josh Harding and Chet Pickard are also available. I am leaning towards Pickard as my best long term option.

Turco is also available but he might not have a job this year?

Dobber Sports Ace

For persepective - since I do not agree with previous posts...

Thomas only gets 20 starts - Max - if he stays in Bos.

Ellis is the 1A... Smith is the 1B (Yzerman doesn't trust Smith - nor do I, and Let's not forget who was stealing starts from Rinne last year).

I thought Elliott did a good job last year... enough to get a shot at 1A before LeClaire. Besides, LeClaire will be hit in the head by a high velocity, medium sized Japanese Beetle while riding his bike this August... he will fall off the bike and trip his work out partner Mr. Lehtonen - who will then blow out his ACL (actually, both...LeClaire's right ACL and Lehtonen's left MCL). On the way to the hospital, the ambulance will cause a driver to brake too hard and Varlamov's cab driver will rear-end that car while texting a russian comrad regarding his passenger today - leaving the #1 in WSH to Neuvirth after Varly is forced to hitch a ride with the ambulance... but rest easy, because Patty Kane will be there to pistol whip that cabby for negligence! This all of course in Vegas... where RDP, Souray, and Salo all swear is the best place for training and conditioning!

So, I stay away from all three.
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Ace

I wouldn't be too high on any, but I would pick Smith as well. I think Elliott is the guy in OTT. He was consitently good (not great) while Leclaire was terrible for the most part and the injuries.....
    Smith and Ellis I see splitting if they're both healthy. Definite 1A/1B thing although I agree that Ellis is probably the 1A.
    Thomas is still very good, but he is very old and it will all depend on if and where he would get moved to. Also comes with a hefty $$ tag...

I guess a lot depends on your league and current roster along with any cap restraints etc.

Administrator

I'd go with Leclaire. Ottawa projects to be a good club and regardless of what Elliott did last year Leclaire is their big money guy so he gets the first crack. He WILL get hurt this year but who says you can't capitalize on a potential hot start before he goes down.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'd go with Leclaire. Ottawa projects to be a good club and regardless of what Elliott did last year Leclaire is their big money guy so he gets the first crack. He WILL get hurt this year but who says you can't capitalize on a potential hot start before he goes down.
    I agree, I live in Ottawa and literally all the media coverage has centered around the fact the Leclaire is the guy to start the year. This is due to the fact the Elliott has been just as inconsistent as Leclaire and PL stepped in and did an amazing job in the playoffs last year when BE faltered.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

When in doubt trust the goaltending wisdom of Justin Goldman. He is a wealth of fantasy hockey goaltending knowledge unlike any I have ever come across.

He has stated that Ellis is going to be the #1 in Tampa, not Smith.

I think Elliot will be #1 in Ottawa but Leclaire will be given ample opportunity.

Tim Thomas well he'll never be anything again until he gets traded, which I am sure Chiarelli is attempting to do right this very minute. Up against the cap, with a back-up making 5 million.

This is a tough tough and sad choice to have to make for your fantasy team, but if I had to choose:

I would pick Leclaire
    12 team dynasty league
    H2H:G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,Hits, W,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily Lineups: 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2G,2UTIL,5BN
    C: Datsyuk, Kopitar, Sedin, Staal, Ott
    LW: Ovechkin, T. Ruutu
    RW: Hossa, Horton, Backes
    D: Lidstrom, Edler, Enstrom, J. Carlson, Boyle, Shattenkirk
    G: Luongo, Miller, Rinne
    5 prospects(40game limit): B. Smith, Lindback, Toffoli, Calvert, Morin

Dobber Sports All-Star

Incase you're keeping track, the Sens just hired Rick Wamsley as goalie coach. Wamsley was in charge of moulding Leclaire into the successful goalie he was early in his NHL career so it looks like they are committed to helping him earn his keep)
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

FirstPickOverall

Quote Originally Posted by JHM View Post

Elliott/Leclaire - Leclaire is head and shoulders above Elliott regarding talent. They both need a defense first system to thrive. Leclaire's career has been exceptionally disappointing, due to injuries. A healthy Leclaire would surge ahead of Elliott and soon leave him in the distance. The more likely scenario is a repeat of last season. Two starts for Leclaire and one for Elliott. Leclaire gets injured, Elliott gets to drive the car. Leclaire struggles to find his form for a bit, so they split. Eventually Leclaire usurps Elliott again.
    Great writeup JHM

That point really sums it up. If LeClaire can stay healthy hes easily the best Goalie in this group of 3.

Thus Id take that risk.