Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Leafs/Sharks Fit?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    i believe couture was the guy the sharks drafted with the 1st the leafs gave up for toskala.
    san jose traded the pick in the toskala trade (13th overall) and a 2nd rounder to st. louis to move up to the ninth slot. the blues picked lars eller at 13, san jose picked couture at 9.
    12 Team H2H Partial Keeper: Keep 4 (1G Max).
    C: Crosby, Malkin, Stepan, Trocheck, Monahan
    LW: Parise, Landeskog, Schenn (C), Vatrano (C)
    RW: Okposo, Reinhart (C), Larkin (C)
    D: Karlsson, Yandle, Hamilton
    G: Holtby, Dubnyk, Mason
    IR: Gallagher (RW)

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 2Util, 4D, 2G, 4BN, 1IR.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I recall hearing a rumor of Setoguchi for Kab's

I doubt it happens, but I think that would be the best we can get out of the Sharks. Thornton to TO is an absurd thought.

Reading some of the trade rumors that Leafs fans dish out, sometimes I wish I wasn't one myself.... however I like to think I'm at least a reasonable one

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    The Leafs could easily double their return on Kaberle if were under contract for 3 more years instead of 1.
    I don't think so. You can only get that much, and it's not like people were offering that much last year.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Leafs

I am a big Leafs fan and take exception to what was said. Granted I am more of a realist. We have a Leafs fan in our office that is so blinded he thinks they can do no wrong.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by TML View Post
    I don't think so. You can only get that much, and it's not like people were offering that much last year.

I seem to recall a Carter + a 1st for Kaberle trade that got nixed by Kaberle's no-trade when he had 3 yrs left on his contract (Fletcher with the big swing and a miss!).

Last year I'm pretty sure Burke said they weren't looking to move Kaberle.

Dobber Sports Novice

This Kaberle thing sure needs to get sorted before it gets out of hands.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I remember hearing something about a setoguchi for kaberle deal too....

I think San Jose has a pretty solid top 6 without Setoguchi. He'll probably want like 3.5 mil +, which essentially offsets the contract of Kaberle (4.25 - 0.5 they'd be saving on sending Leach down). Shores up the back end for SJ at the cost of an unsigned asset, gives the Leafs a young 'top 6' forward. Or am I waaaay off? lol
    12-team Rotisserie
    G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, FOW
    W, saves, GAA, SV%, SO

2C-
    2LW- Marchand
    2RW- Giroux
    4D- Rielly
    2G- Bishop, Price

Dobber Sports Initiate

Setoguchi is not the answer. Rather than trade Kaberle for Setoguchi they could just go out an resign Ponikarovski as a UFA for probably $2.5m. That would give them more point production than Setoguchi.

I know Poni did not fit in well with Pittsburgh and that is why he will be available cheap but the guy is a consistent 20 goal 30 assist or 50 to 60 point forward. Yea he is not great in the back end but what do you expect for $2.5m.

Then Burke could trade Kaberle for quality prospects and or draft picks.

I know most leaf fans would not be keen to have Ponikarovski back but the price looks like it would be right.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

When does Kaberle's NTC kick back in? Burke better get something done or he is going to be SOL, because Kaberle will pull a Sundin and stay in T.O. as long as he can..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Initiate

When does Kaberle's NTC kick back in? Burke better get something done or he is going to be SOL, because Kaberle will pull a Sundin and stay in T.O. as long as he can..
    Aug 15th

Burke knows that he must move him now or he gets nothing for Kaberle at all. To resign Kaberle to a new contract it will take at least $5m and a solid no trade clause. Burke will not be interested in doing that.

Kaberle will be moved.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thornton for kaberle!!??!!

I agree, not going to happen, but here is why it makes a little sense.

Both are UFA's next summer so if either team feel their chances of resigning are better after an exchange (ie Thornton in Toronto and kaberle in San Jose)

As pointed out, leafs have extra defense and need help at center and vice verse in San Jose.

Leafs can absorb Thorntons big contract and the deal would give Sharks cap relief they can use for Setoguchi and to fill out their roster.

But remember even after the Sharks first round elimination in the 2009 playoffs one of the only players Wilson said "would not be moved" was Thornton. Obviously he likes big Joe. And Centers of Thorntons caliber are very rare. Who would replace him as the #1 center and set up man for Heatley?