Thread: Steve Mason

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Steve Mason

I know there are probably 20 threads on what to expect from Mason in 2010 and beyond. Im in a hurry here and Im really sold on taking Mason as my goalie in a 16 team full keeper league. It's a little early, but I think the 2nd run on goalies is about to take place and I want a good young keeper type goalie to add to my team. SO, my question is , Is he worth the chance or just find maybe an older goalie to hang my hat on?

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd have no problem with Mason as your 2nd goalie, I think the potential is there for him to be a top 12-15 goalie as early as next season...who else are you considering?
    12 team points only keeper (G = 1, A = 1, W = 2, SO = 2)
    Dress 6 forwards, 4 defensemen, 2 goalies, weekly starts
    Roster limit - 20 plus 4 prospects

Dobber Sports Monster

well its a keeper, we only start one, but the Fluery's, Wards, Kippy's, Nabby, et all are gone, oddly, Broduer still there ( extremly tempting) Rinne still there, but its a full keeper, 16 teams, Part of me says Broduer, Broduer Broduer, but...the little guy on my shoulder says Mason Mason Mason lol

Dobber Sports Ace

Pretty hard to pass on Brodeur, he has at least a few more stellar years left in him?

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd even do Rinne ahead of Mason, Nashville's D is going to be solid for years to come. I think Mason is a great goalie but Columbus freaks me out a bit!

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Pretty hard to pass on Brodeur, he has at least a few more stellar years left in him?
    I know I feel he does, 2 years I would assume, but uggh I dont know, I like younger upside guys but your right, how do you pass on Broduer, and later on just take a prospect to cover for when Broduer is done..ughh seems like a no brainer, but at same time I have no brain

Dobber Sports Ace

I've gone thru the same thing the last few years...I pass on Brodeur thinking he can't keep it up and he keeps chugging along. I decided to pick him this last season and never looked back!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default goalie conundrum

should have gone with brodeur...

Broduer is indeed slowing down, but is still valuable. Will he do better than Mason next year? Yes. Better than Rinne? Perhaps not. I'd go with Rinne. Solid goalie. Very good D that should only get better. He proved he is the starter last year and really had a great second half. In a full keeper, he would be your man. You already have Fleury and Lehtonen just might come back. Pick up a stud prospect and you'll be just fine.

The King of Diatribes

Yeah, I would say because you already have Fleury, roll the dice a little and go with Rinne or Mason.

I'm not sold on Brodeur having a very good season. He'll probably still win close to 40 games, but only because he will start at least 75.

It's getting ridiculous at this point, but looking at how he performed the last two playoff seasons, and the fact he's just another year older, you have to think that New Jersey will start to pry a few games from his clutches and start honing their backup. Brodeur won't last forever, and if there's ever a time he will start to weaken, it will be next season.

Imagine if Brodeur started just 8-10 less games per season. He could probably go another three-four years!!!

I'd be beyond surprised if Brodeur starts 75 games next year.