Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brodeur's Successor

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Brodeur's Successor

I'm curious who people think will be the next netminder in New Jersey. Will they draft a kid who can back up Brodeur and learn from him for a year or 2? Or will they just go out and sign someone once Brodeur hangs em up?

I personally like the idea of signing someone like Dan Ellis, and letting him back up until Brodeur is gone, and learn what he can. Ellis probably wouldn't have a big price tag, and I think he has some decent upside too. That would prevent too many growing pains for the team compared to drafting a young guy to replace Brodeur.

Or maybe I'm way off and NJ already has a good prospect goalie who I don't even know about?

The Magnificent One

well i dont see them going out after ellis, if anything they will stay with danis who they already have as there backup. however neither of them are a brodeur who can play 75+ games and get 40+ wins. that being said once brodeur retires they will probably start doing what other teams do and thats give a 65/35 type start (maybe) or they will breed a guy to be like brodeur. its all very up in the air as NJ hasnt had too many yrs to face without brodeur around.

But as for the future as of now they have a prospect in Jeff Frazee who is said to be the future. is he the real deal that is unclear as he hasnt played in the NHL yet. but from what I have herd (around here) he is there future.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

They should go after Price.
    "If the all star game is about showing off ur skills. If I was in the breakaway competition, I'd dump it in and change."
    -Paul Bissonette, "BizNasty2point0", on Twitter, January 30, 2011

Dobber Sports Genius

I wouldn't be sniffing around in New Jersey for the replacement. Too risky. Brodeur has a couple years on his current contract. Don't be surprised when he plays another year or two after that. So many things can happen that speculating is foolish. It's also possible that Lou signs a MONSTER replacement, when the opportunity/time comes and pushes Marty aside. If New Jersey believes in anything, it's having outstanding goaltending. I'm going to be speculating, but not in East Rutherford.

Dobber Sports Pro

I think they go after someone this season, via trade, either around the draft or a t the deadline. A guy young and close, who will spend the next season as Marty's backup (50-30 starts split), 11-12 in a platoon (40-40 starts split), then becomes a starter (with Marty possibly a backup for another season or two). Cory Schneider seems to me to make the most sense. Harding is injury prone and a bit too old for this kind of development, Halak and likely Price would want to be starters right away.

Or maybe Lamorielo shocks everyone and brings in an FA from Europe (Rynnas?), though that would be a big gamble.
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by fzusher View Post

Or maybe Lamorielo shocks everyone and brings in an FA from Europe (Rynnas?), though that would be a big gamble.
    Burke has already signed Rynnas so that might be tough.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I see them bringing someone like Schneider or Cheverie to learn under him for a few years and slowly ease them in.

Dobber Sports Expert

I personally don't believe taht Frazee is the future for NJ. He's a good goalie but not good enough for a #1 starting role in the NHL. I'd say that the Devils will draft someone this June, but they'lll also get a young prospect in a trade soon. This way, they'll have veyr good chances of a good starting goalie down the future. Right now, is a great time to buy young goalies. Goalies like Price, Schneider, and maybe even Neuvirth are probably available in trades. These guys are all future greats in nets, and they are all either in teh NHL or very close, so they are all options.

Dobber Sports All-Star

One thing New Jersey hasnt done well(other than Broduer) is drafting goalies; fortunately they havent had to worry about that.

I'm curious to see what they do at the draft this year; personalyy I wouldnt be surprised at all if they used a couple of picks to grab goalies for their farm in the hopes that one of them may eventually take over from Marty.

If i remember correctly, Broduer is signed thru the 2013/14 season; that at least gives Jersey a few years to develop a goalie and try to groom them as the successor.

just my $.02
    on fantasy hockey hiatus!!!

Banned

what about Yan Danis? He's looked good in relief of Marty in the limited chances that he got...dunno if he's starter worthy but the Devils play a pretty solid team defensive strategy so its not a bad place to get your feet wet

Dobber Sports Ace

I don't think Frazee is the long-term solution. He might get a chance, but I don't think the Devils think he's the answer. He lost the no. 1 job to Mike McKenna with the Lowell Devils this year.

I give Frazee credit for putting up decent numbers two years ago, but whenever I hear his name, I think of this ... the longest goal in hockey history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4kxS1ksqtw

And no, I don't judge a goalie by one bad goal, but did you notice how deep he was playing in the net. He should have come out to cut down the angle.

As for who the replacement might be, there are a number of options available on the market right now and most of them could be had pretty cheaply. Whenever the Devils feel they need someone to play more than 10 games a season, I'm sure they'll be able to find someone.
    Last edited by Scribe; May 5, 2010 at 9:42 PM.
    Chatham Maroons
    21-team keeper league
    (G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHP, PIM ratio, MP and Goalie combo (Wins, OTL, SvPct, GAA)
    Forwards: Backstrom, Perry, Eriksson, J. Jokinen, Henrique, Sobotka, Marner, Barbashev, Connor, Labanc, Connolly, Petan, Sutter. Farm: C. White, Comtois, M. Jones, Villardi, Roslovic, Gurianov, Hayton, B. Tkachuk, Clarke, Rees.
    Defence: Jones, Leddy, Martinez, Beaulieu, Moore, Antipin. Farm: Bean, Bear, Vukojevic.
    Goalies: Rinne, Jones; Farm: Husso, Blackwood, Knight.

On Twitter: @HockeyScribe

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Burke has already signed Rynnas so that might be tough.
    D'oh! I meant to say Tarkko (Iiro Tarkko) - he was supposed to be lined up for the Jackets, but with them just signing Weslau I doubt they'd go for Tarkko too.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyislife View Post
    One thing New Jersey hasnt done well(other than Broduer) is drafting goalies; fortunately they havent had to worry about that.

I'm curious to see what they do at the draft this year; personalyy I wouldnt be surprised at all if they used a couple of picks to grab goalies for their farm in the hopes that one of them may eventually take over from Marty.

If i remember correctly, Broduer is signed thru the 2013/14 season; that at least gives Jersey a few years to develop a goalie and try to groom them as the successor.

just my $.02
    I'm sure that after the last couple of seasons they know they need to start fazing out Marty now. The draft won't help with that, as the goalies in the draft are likely a few years away from even the AHL - and especially since they don't have a 1st rounder (traded to the Thrashers). I figure if they can't land someone via trade at the draft, they'll try to sign a short-term UFA solution to ease off Marty's load - Ellis, Biron, etc. - and draft for a longer term replacement.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Schneider

Cory Schneider would be a perfect pupil for Brodeur. That would be deadly.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Anton Volchenkov.

Seriously though, if the Devils can get a couple guys like Volchenkov to stabilize their D core, Brodeur will have another couple decent years before you need a replacement.