Thread: Roloson next year?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Roloson next year?

Will Roloson most likely be the #1 on a highly improved Islanders squad (or at least split 50/50 with Dipietro) or do the Islanders bring on reinforcements?
    15 Team Keeper (Y Roto Points, Daily Changes but only one waiver pick up per month)
    20 Players (Keep 10) Dress 8 F, 5 D, 1 Utility and 2 G
    Stats: G, A, P, PPP, Shots, SHP, Hits, PIM, +/- W, GAA, SV%, Saves, SO

Forwards Huberdeau, Svechnikov, Monahan, Cirelli, Suzuki, Backlund, Atkinson, J. Anderson, Hyman, Hayton, Dach & Byfield

Defensemen
    Rielly, Ekblad, Yandle, Giordano, Ekholm & Hanifin

Goalies
    Markstrom & Koskinen

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Roloson will only be the number 1 if Dips can't answer the bell - I doubt they are prepared at this point to make a move for a starting goalie.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Even if Dipietro felt healthy they'd still have to split 50/50 with Roloson to ensure Dipietro's health though. Im trying to decide if Doan or Roloson is easier to replace. I'm not convinced that Ellis/Deslauriers/Harding etc... are better options than Roloson for strictly next year.
    15 Team Keeper (Y Roto Points, Daily Changes but only one waiver pick up per month)

Forwards Huberdeau, Svechnikov, Monahan, Cirelli, Suzuki, Backlund, Atkinson, J. Anderson, Hyman, Hayton, Dach & Byfield

Defensemen

Goalies
    Markstrom & Koskinen

Administrator

I've been pondering this one a lot myself and I honestly think he's about as low risk as you'll find in a non-starter right now. Others have alluded to this but given Dipietro's health Roloson is going to be used to shield him from overworking. That guarantees him at least 30 starts with a chance to get as many as 55 but I can't see Rollie getting more than that. Even if they do bring in some competition, we've already seen that Rollie will outwork whoever challenges him. Dipietro's contract also prevents the Islanders from going out to land a more longterm solution. Rollie is dependable and while the upside isn't very high, the downside also isn't too low. He could definitely help you out in a deep league.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Master

at minimum , I see Roloson 50/50 split with Rick
    as usual , Rick being ready for camp or retirement is a question to ponder all offseason

I can see them resigning Scott Munroe or Nate Lawson (their ahl duo)to be Rolosons back up if Rick isnt ready .Then ,if Rick comes back you'd have Munroe or Lawson as the third wheel in the pressbox instead of a Martin Biron type .

Mikko Koskinen and Kevin Poulin (still needs to be signed by june 1)will be the likely tandem in the AHL and apparently Stefan Ridderwall is close to signing as well.

I think the wildcard in all this can be Koskinen , the 6'7 kid they took in round 2 , 2009 draft.
    By all means he needs some ahl seasoning after missing pretty much all of 09-10 to hip surgery -but if he has a hot start in the AHL he might get a cup of coffee in the NHL and never look back .

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Speaking of Koskinen... Do most agree he's the starter down the road for the Islanders? I just picked him up in a pretty deep league (14 teams start 2 goalies). The trade was:

Grabner
    for
    Dipietro, Koskinen

Grabner probably has the highest chance at increasing in value first, but assuming Dipietro doesn't come back 100% healthy and shock the world... Do most see Koskinen eventually taking over the net in New York?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm not sure about Koskinen or this entire mess caused by Dipietro's huge contract? Is it easy for the Islanders to get out of this contract due to long term disability or do they actually have to buy it out?

As for Islanders goaltending, I believe Roloson is the main man next year but will be shipped out at deadline to a contender if they are not in the race (finish his career).

With the young guys a year older, Streit back there and a focused Roloson, I believe the Islanders can make a serious progression upwards next season.

Defensemen

Goalies
    Markstrom & Koskinen

Dobber Sports Master

it is what it is
    a chronic injury and a long term contract

Dipietro wont be the first guy that signs a long term deal that ends up with chronic woes that make the contract look worse than it already is .

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Right on Butch - I actually think the contract isn't that bad - it's simply the fact that Dipietro isn't really earning any of it these days. Your allusion to possible retirement has me thinking these days - I do wonder if that is a real possibility. Love to be a fly on the wall in the Isles training room this summer.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

That's what I'm curious about though. Does Dipietro earn everything he is owed if he simply comes to practice each day and has a positive attitude for the next ten years?

Defensemen

Goalies
    Markstrom & Koskinen

Dobber Sports Master

Stefan Ridderwall refused the isles contract offer and they signed Kevin Poulin

Koskinen/Poulin AHL tandem solidified for next season
    look for one of these guys to get a cup of coffee next year if Dipietro is still a clusterfest.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I've been pondering this one a lot myself and I honestly think he's about as low risk as you'll find in a non-starter right now. Others have alluded to this but given Dipietro's health Roloson is going to be used to shield him from overworking. That guarantees him at least 30 starts with a chance to get as many as 55 but I can't see Rollie getting more than that. Even if they do bring in some competition, we've already seen that Rollie will outwork whoever challenges him. Dipietro's contract also prevents the Islanders from going out to land a more longterm solution. Rollie is dependable and while the upside isn't very high, the downside also isn't too low. He could definitely help you out in a deep league.
    butch is right too.

But the consensus seems to be, Roloson is the NYI starter. As such, he's prone to replacement at any time. If you decide to own him, you'd better have a pretty capable backup, like Leighton, Emery, or (shudder) Price.

Steve.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Looks like I sold Koskinen at the wrong time. I definately think he's the more talented of the 2 between himself and Poulin.

It would be a shocker to not see DiPi get injured this year, even if they take it easy on him. Plus Roloson is like freakin 50 already, how much longer can he play? haha. We could easily see both Koskinen and Poulin dueling for the starting job in as little as 2 years. Just need Roloson to feel his age, and Dipi to have another relapse.