Thread: Transitioning Levels

The King of Diatribes

Default Transitioning Levels

Okay so yesterday I was sent a private message from NOTCH. It was a really good question, one that I like to field and discuss. I sent him this crazy long reply and then realized it wasn't based around his specific team, so I asked him if I could post it in here for everyone to see. And he kindfully obliged! So here it is, the original question and my response.

I have a question for you. What are the specific challanges a goalie faces when he makes the jump from Junior to the Pro ranks. Why does it takes goalies that much longer to make a true impact in the NHL or AHL from Junior. Forwards and D can make the jump, why can't goalies? It seems like an obvious question, but you have a way of making me understand everything. I will go and look at previous articles you have wrote, to see if you have already touched on this.

Thanks,
    Notch

Notch,

The biggest specific challenge a goalie faces when jumping up a level is the increased pace and speed at which plays come at you. Things happen faster, you have to think faster and react faster. You have to make faster decisions. Everything is enhanced from the velocity of the puck to the quality of dekes to the quickness of a player's release.

One reason why it takes goalies longer to "adjust" or "transition" is because they have to make a stronger mental transition than forwards or defenseman. They can usually go out there and skate and skate well enough to not stick out like a sore thumb. Usually as long as they aren't making terrible mistakes, they will adjust quickly and slowly gain confidence.

For a goalie, it's not as easy. There's a massive amount of mental pressure because every shot against is under the microscope, it all has a large amount of impact on their future. Goalies also struggle with smooth transitions because they don't see consistent minutes. Sometimes you get called up from the AHL after sitting on the bench for a few weeks and you are thrown into the fire of an NHL game. Not easy. Or maybe you are called up from the AHL and then sit on the bench in the NHL and THEN get that one chance ... and you are stiff and not into a rhythm. Again, very tough...and those are just PHYSICAL elements to making the jump.

Always remember that goaltending is 90% mental. It's not the fact that these goalies can't make saves at a higher level, it's that they have to do everything in their power to focus even harder on the puck, react with even finer movements and control rebounds better than they ever have before. if they are even SLIGHTLY off mentally with their focus or their eye attachment, it can be a dirty, dirty night for many of them.

Something else to keep in mind is how some goalies actually thrive on the faster paced game. For some reason, and I know this from experience, the pace and structure of the NHL or a higher level allows a goalie to read players and plays and shots easier. It's hard to explain quickly, but think of it like a racing car that has a small engine, but has the ability to hold a much larger one.

Once you drop a new engine in that car, one that performs with more speed and power, the car is able to reach it's full potential. All of the mechanical parts of that car move the same, but at a higher efficiency rate ... and the car's overall system performs better because of it!!

This has happened with goalies like Tuukka Rask, Alex Salak, etc.

Hope that helps a little!!!

Dobber Sports Genius

This man is a genious!

Unlimited knowledge of the goaltending position, yet still strives to learn more everyday. Mad respect to you Justin.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

The King of Diatribes

LOL that reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer comes up with the idea for the perfume "Ocean" and George comes over and says, "This man is a GENIUS" hahahah.