Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Top-100 prospects rankings

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    Drop any questions you have right here!
    Hi Justin!

First off, I've been following your advice for some time now and have assembled what I think is a fairly decent crop of goalie prospects.

I do have a question though.

I was thumbing through The Hockey News Goalie Edition and couldn't help but notice the discrepancy between their lists and yours when it came to goalie prospects. I'd like to understand why.

I get that the position is by no means an exact science. Goalies will rise and fall. I also get that judging prospects comes with it differing opinions and judging goalie prospects, those opinions might differ more than they would say with forwards.

What I'm having difficulty understanding though is the fairly large discrepancy.

For instance, Martin Jones is listed as your 15th best prospect yet, according to THN, Jeff Zatkoff has passed him.

Even more confusing for me is the situation in Nashville. You have Anders Lindback as your 2nd best prospect. That's some heady stuff.

THN lists Magnus Hellberg as Next In Line.

I could almost make sense of it if you had Lindback at no.2 and Hellberg at no.7 or even no.12 (a ten point swing), but you don't have him listed in your top 30!

I'm not trying to be disrespectful and I defer to you on all things goalie. I just want to understand.

Thanks!

The King of Diatribes

I understand where you are coming from 100% and I will do my best to explain "discrepancy" in what THN has, and what I have.

1. My ranking is updated on a monthly basis. So as opposed to a "one-time" ranking, I chart progress. It's almost more like a "progress report" where you see movement on a monthly basis depending on how the goalie is progressing, how the goalie is evolving, how their opportunity changes depending on the other goalies in their system, what kind of systematic approach the NHL team has that owns the specific goalie in question.

2. My ranking is honestly subjective. It is not "unbiased" because I am one person, and that would be impossible. I don't rely on solely a statistical formula. it's just my two eyes, my thoughts, my opinions, my projections on a month to month basis. I take a lot more into account in terms of situation and elemental goaltending, and I can't imagine what kind of strategy or technique TSN uses to structure their rankings.

3. So with that in mind, I am under the impression that Martin Jones is an extremely valuable long-term prospect to own. Zatkoff is ahead of Jones in the depth chart and has more experience, but I don't see him being a long-term NHL goalie with a lot of starter upside. But I do see that in many different areas of Jones' game. Love a lot of things about him, especially his size/speed combination. Kings goaltenders get amazing development, are part of one of the most structured development systems in the entire NHL, and get opportunities to shine.

4. Lindback deserves to be the #2 goalie because he's being developed by the best goalie coach in the world, Mitch Korn. It's only a matter of time before he gets more opportunity and at his size, with his coaching, with his opportunity to shadow Pekka Rinne on a daily basis, he has tremendous long-term value. His lack of playing time does hurt, but it is compensated by the fact he's being mentored by Korn and he's watching a goalie very similar to him in biomechanics and technique (rinne) on a daily basis. That accounts for a lot in the world of goalie development.

Hellberg is a terrific prospect as well, but he's not anywhere close to where Lindback is in terms of development. Until he comes over to North America, it's not fair for me to rank him anywhere in the Top-30. He's still got a long way to go!

5. These type of elements that you see above with Jones vs. Zatkoff and Lindback vs. Hellberg are scattered all throughout my Top-150 Prospects Rankings. I am very confident in how I adjust rankings on a monthly basis and I like my accuracy over the past few years. One example is Thomas Greiss. A lot of people felt that he should have been ranked a lot lower over the past year since he struggled in Sweden last year. But even though I was fully aware of his struggles, it had very little bearing on his long term value. You have seen his current placement be legitimized in terms of his value right now, essentially cementing his role as San Jose's backup despite the influence of Niittymaki.

6. The main thing to remember is that I evaluate situation to a very complex and in-depth degree. I am not saying that TSN doesn't do this, but I follow and track and stay in tune with all of these prospects every month.

It is a part of Goalie Pattern Recognition, a term I feel very strongly about, and something I know I have in my mind. GPR is also a big part of my new daily starting goalie tool, the Starting Goalie Rating Index. The more goalies you watch and track, the more patterns you discover in terms of prospect development, the more aware you are of situations that are likely to arise.

I am super curious to know who compiles their goalie rankings...I have an idea of who it might be ... but can't really comment since I don't know for sure.

I hope that gives you a better idea of where I'm coming from with my Top-150.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Thank you!

That was a much more in depth answer than I was expecting. One thing that I respect about you is your availability to guys like me with a question here or there.

Great answer! Couldn't have asked for more!

And thanks for the feedback on Lindback and Jones! Damn THN had me worried!

P.S. interesting to see you quoted in one of the articles in this particular issue of THN.

Thanks again!

The King of Diatribes

I was quoted in a THN article?? Where?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Thn

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    I was quoted in a THN article?? Where?
    THN The Goalie Issue
    Pg. 24
    Article - Leaders of the Pack

"It could not have been any closer between Lundqvist and Thomas, but Hank gets the slight nod. 'Simply the best and most clutch, charismatic, mentally tough and even-keeled goaltender in the world,' said Justin Goldman of The Goalie Guild, a scouting website. 'He understands special dynamics and is extremely situationally aware.'"

You know you've made it when the Hockey bible is quoting you.

Dobber Sports Giant

Very nice on THN reference... good stuff.

Justin, realistically how far off is Lindback from being a full-time NHL starter? Is he ready to step into that role w/ another squad? How much more development is necessary before he gets full-time shot in your opinion?

Thanks in advance for the insight. It's very much appreciated.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post

Justin, realistically how far off is Lindback from being a full-time NHL starter? Is he ready to step into that role w/ another squad? How much more development is necessary before he gets full-time shot in your opinion?

Thanks in advance for the insight. It's very much appreciated.
    also interested to hear thoughts on lindback's ETA as a starter
    7 Team Salary Cap Keep 6 League - Points only
    (protect max 6, salary cap = $103.5million)
    FWD: G/A = 1pt, D: G=2pts, A=1pt, Goalie Win = 2pts, Shutout = 3pts
    Dress 4LW, 4C, 4RW, 6d-men, 2 goalies (max 6 bench spots)

LW - Benn (LW/C)
    C -
    RW - Kucherov, Ovechkin (LW/RW)
    D - Gostisbehere, Letang
    Goalie - Holtby

on the bubble: Galchenyuk (C/LW), T. Johnson (C), M. Reilly (D), Yandle (D), Doughty (D)

The King of Diatribes

For a goalie in Lindback's position, you have to approach his projections from two fronts - skills and opportunity.

Skills: I don't think his game is at the point where he would thrive as a starter. It would help if he was on a defensively sound team, but even then, things like his rebound control and consistency are major question marks. I have no idea how he would handle or manage energy starting 9 of 10 games, 15 of 20, or 60 of 80. There's no knowing, because he hasn't started more than 2 or 3 games in a row this season. 29 other GM's will say that same thing, "We're hesitant to acquire him to be a starter because he's hardly played behind Rinne."

There was a very important stretch of hockey he played last season as a rookie when Rinne was out with an injury. He was good back then, so the odds are good he would play well again this season if god forbid Rinne misses some games. But there's no knowing for sure.

In terms of his long-term potential, as long as he gets steady goalie coaching, the sky is the limit. He has everything you want ... size, quickness, athleticism, strong work ethic, the active edge, the fundamentals, the telescoping legs and arms. There's nothing to not love about this guy.

Opportunity: He rarely plays, so what he's capable of doing in a larger role is unknown. I don't see him enough to really decipher mannerisms or trends in his game. It's one game and that's it. Within that one game, I can only evaluate his technique, how he handles one-game adversity, battling with a lead, etc. But every time that happens, I end up saying, "Well, that's only one game...and anything can happen in one game."

This is the crux of Lindback becoming a starter. Can he do what he does in some games on a continual basis? Nobody knows until he does it.

Either the Predators do an awesome "sell" job and help him earn a better opportunity, or he is stuck in limbo and the Predators sign him for one more year. Remember, he's an RFA, so he has to sign for more than the $750K he is getting this season.

I personally see the Predators signing him for one more year. He needs another year working with Korn before he could really be considered as a guy like Schneider.

He has the POTENTIAL of a Schneider, but what does one goalie have over the other in terms of opportunity and exposure? Games played.

Lindback needs a string of starts if he's going to legitimize his Top-10 presence. He's going to start sliding down this month ... how far from his #2 overall spot does he drop? I'm not sure ... but like Jonathan Bernier ... the lack of playing time is killing his long-term fantasy value.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

awesome, thanks for the breakdown!
    7 Team Salary Cap Keep 6 League - Points only
    (protect max 6, salary cap = $103.5million)
    FWD: G/A = 1pt, D: G=2pts, A=1pt, Goalie Win = 2pts, Shutout = 3pts
    Dress 4LW, 4C, 4RW, 6d-men, 2 goalies (max 6 bench spots)

LW - Benn (LW/C)
    C -
    RW - Kucherov, Ovechkin (LW/RW)
    D - Gostisbehere, Letang
    Goalie - Holtby

on the bubble: Galchenyuk (C/LW), T. Johnson (C), M. Reilly (D), Yandle (D), Doughty (D)

The King of Diatribes

Top-150 Prospects Rankings updated through 2/10!

View the Top-30 for free here: http://thegoalieguild.com/top150prospects

GoaliePost and TGG members will get the full release on Monday!

A lot of movement in the Top-30, especially the Top-10. Just one of those monthsI guess!

The King of Diatribes

GoaliePost members can now login and download the full Top-150 Prospects Rankings release!

The King of Diatribes

Top-30 is updated and can now be downloaded! Top-150 will be complete in a few more days. Cheers mates!

http://thegoalieguild.com/top150prospects

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I paid for my report but cant figure how to get into website. My paypal was connected to another email that I dont have access to. I have sent a few emails in. Not sure if you responses are in my spam.

The King of Diatribes

Top-150 for September went out to all the TGG members. Jeff is working on some database stuff for GoaliePost so that we are all set for the new season. Things had to change because the website is now "free" (no $10 membership) but you can buy the "extra goodies" like the e-mail updates, the premium releases, etc for a few bucks a year. So I can't upload the new Top-150 Rankings to GoaliePost just yet. If you are a GoaliePost member and want the new release e-mailed to you directly, send me a PM and I'll get back to you ASAP!

FYI: I will be attending my first AHL Training Camp this weekend. It's Houston's camp, which is being held here in the Twin Cities at the XCEL Energy Center. I'll get a good look at Hackett, Kuemper, Mike Brodeur, etc.

The Great One

link to the top 150 prospects?

EDIT: nevermind!