Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Top-100 prospects rankings

Dobber Sports Grand Master

You have a bunch of great goalies listed in the 10-15 range (Salak, Hackett, Tokarski, Eriksson, Allen, Pickard). As far as long term potential (time frame doesn't overly matter), are they listed in roughly the same order as they're ranked? As in Salak > Hackett > Tokarski > Eriksson > Allen > Pickard. Looking to pick one of them up and already have goaltending set for the next 5 years probably so don't necessarily need anyone with a short-term impact. Or is there someone else on your list that is way ahead of these guys but just further away?

The King of Diatribes

Not necessarily. I would definitely take their "NHL arrival date" on an individual basis in relation to their rankings. So it would look like this for those guys:

Salak - sits #4 in the Panthers depth chart. Will slide depending on Markstrom's workload. The more Markstrom plays, the more Salak slides.

Hackett - could sit #4 in Wild depth chart, unless they sign another veteran to play in Houston behind Khudobin. He's still 2 seasons away from fighting for an NHL gig.

Tokarski - sits #3 in Lightning depth chart. Will challenge Smith for the backup spot but obviously regardless of how he competes, he's slated to start in Norfolk. If Smith walks next summer, Tokarski is Ellis' new backup in 2011-12.

Eriksson - Long term keeper extraordinare. Still three seasons away from NHL gig, but is going to be a starter in SEL for the first time. Guys below him are much higher in a team's depth chart, but because the kid is SO skilled and the Flyers are really high on him, his value and ranking is very high. He's a "work in progress" for sure but still deserves to be ranked where he is.

Allen - Will sit #4 in Blues depth chart, as he's expected to play behind Ben Bishop. Could fight for NHL job in 2 more seasons. Because of Allen graduating from QMJHL to AHL, it pushes Joe Fallon's value down (he dropped 7 spots I believe).

Pickard - Interesting to see where his placement ends up. Does he get a chance to fend off Dekanich for the backup role to Rinne? Doubt it...he needs to play games. Does he start in Milwaukee while Dekanich backs up Rinne? Don't know, but that would be ideal for his value. Does Nashville sign an UFA veteran to back up Rinne? Most likely. So that's what is currently going on with Pickard.

So as you can see, just because a goalie sits higher on the depth chart doesn't necessarily mean their ranking/value is higher. Talent, ability, and to be honest a bit of my personal bias all goes into this ranking. There is no structure to the ranking, it is merely a guide compiled from all my thoughts and knowledge in what makes a prospect a good choice for a fantasy keeper league =).

The King of Diatribes

http://www.thegoalieguild.com/?p=4217

A post that updates everyone with the top risers, bigget fallers and the new kids added to the Rankings!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Awesome info, thanks Justin. So long-term you'd say Eriksson is one of the best out there?

MacLiii

Default Who to choose

Hi Justin,

I am very close to pulling off a trade for Kari Lehtonen; thus giving me Price, Thomas and Lehtonen on my main roster with Modig and Pogge on my farm. I was then hoping to snag Jack Campbell, but alas he was just taken in the farm team draft. Given my list, who is my best prospect to go after? Stalock, H. Karlsson, Calvin Pickard, G. Wesslau, M. Visentin, Cheverie, Rynnas, Pielmeier. Also, if I get one of them, would you recommend holding onto Pogge, Modig or both?

The King of Diatribes

I would say out of the ones you listed, Stalock, Pickard and Rynnas are your best bets. They are all going to be very good and are already entrenched as AHL goalies. All three have crazy high upside and great size as well. Can't go wrong with any of those guys in my opinion! I like Stalock's "opportunity" the best out of the three, Rynnas has good opportunity and due to Rinne, Pickard's opp is lowest!

Hang onto Pogge and Modig as they are both kind of volatile for different reasons. If you kept one, roll the dice and hang onto Modig!! More upside IMO.

And to Dyz, yes, Eriksson is one of the best to own for his age group!

MacLiii

Thank you very much Justin. That's where I was thinking about going as well

The King of Diatribes

Good Braden Holtby story:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...e-patient.html

Love the fact that the story prints the info about Holbty having Lasik eye surgery. That's a huge win for Holtby owners. Also the fact that he's secured the #3 job due to his great play last season is great news.

Very good update for a very good goalie with very good size. Could be in the NHL in one more season.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thank you for your outstanding contribution to the fantasy universe You must have answered more or less the same questions many times and I apologize if my questions are repeats. Just cut and past earlier answers and I'll be satisfied.

Stalock vs Sateri -> is Stalock now firmly ahead of Sateri? Do you see this to be the case long-term too, as in their careers?

McCollum -> what happened to him? I own him in one league and early last year guys were begging me to get him. Now no one wants him. Could there be resurrection or is he a wasted fantasy asset?

Campbell & Lehner -> is it conceivable that they are in the NHL already next year? Hard to believe but because of the situations in Dallas and Ottawa....could it happen?

Hackett v Khudobin -> why are guys thinking Khudobin is the obvious benefactor of Harding eventually leaving Wild? Why is it not Hackett who gets the opportunity before him?

Crawford -> you must not like him very much....? He's the likely backup to Niemi next season and possible starter for the Hawks if Niemi leaves or falters. Yet, he's only #51 on your list. Please explain.

Thanks again.

KJ
    BFHL - 2013 Champion, 2012 Champion, 2011 7th Place, 2010 Champion
    AHL - 2013 8th Place

The King of Diatribes

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for reading Guild material!!! =D

1. Yes, Stalock > Sateri right now and for at least the next 3-4 seasons.

2. Did not display the maturity, durability or consistency needed to play in the AHL. His demotion to the ECHL wasn't as big of a deal as it seemed, because he honestly wasn't that polished of a goalie to begin with. He's a work in progress and should have a fairly good season in Grand Rapids this year, especially with a veteran mentor like Joey MacDonald. Not sure who was begging you to get him, but I can't consider him a wasted asset because even before he was drafted, he was always a work in progress. Three more seasons and he'll be ready to reach for the NHL ranks. Until he displays any kind of consistency in the AHL, I wouldn't consider him a prospect worth owning unless you're in a SUPER deep keeper league.

3. By next year do you mean the 2010-11 or 2011-12 season? 2011-12 for Lehner is a slight possibility now that he's heading to Binghampton for the 2010-11 season. Campbell will play at least one year in Windsor and one year in Texas/Idaho ... so expect him to have a shot at the NHL in the 2012-13 season.

4. Khudobin has more experience, is more mature and has been paying his dues in the AHL. Hackett has no pro experience and is still in the unpolished stages of his development. I obviously think Hackett has more upside and potential, but Khudobin has proven at both the AHL and the NHL (2 games last season w/ Wild) level that he deserves the chance to claim a role with the Wild before Hackett does. There's no rush for Hackett and Khudobin is capable. With Endras staying overseas for this season, Hackett has a chance to win a job in Houston ... from there who knows how many games he can pry away from Khudobin ... but as of now Khudobin is going to be Minny's choice for a call-up due to injuries or if Harding is traded. It's just the way she goes.

5. I do like Crawford when it comes to his skill and talent, but I don't like the way Chicago develops goalies and manages their minutes. If Niemi stays in Chicago, Crawford won't have much of a chance because its one or the other. If Huet leaves, there's no way the Hawks go with Niemi/Crawford tandem ... so maybe you see the other Finn in the system, Hannu Toivonen, come up instead. He will remain in the 40-50 range until Niemi leaves or something happens to Huet.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the thorough feedback.

As a Sateri owner....Stalock came out of nowhere to me :/
    BFHL - 2013 Champion, 2012 Champion, 2011 7th Place, 2010 Champion
    AHL - 2013 8th Place

The King of Diatribes

Deep into the next round of updates.

I had to make an executive decision.

Since I am doing an expanded Top-100 for the Monthly Scouting Journal, the format in which it is displayed is obviously different from the chart you currently see on the website.

I need to make the process of updating as simple as possible. Updating it in the journal and then going through and doing the same thing again for the chart is just not time efficient at all.

The chart was cool and everything, but since I cant fix the fact it sorts things by individual character instead of the entire number, it's not as effective as it should be. You can't sort by +/- because it takes just the first number, not the whole value. Same for draft spot and everything else. It's frustrating and I just can't figure out how to fix it, I've tried everything.

So the new format on the website will kinda go back to how it used to look, where they were just images laid on a page. I'll still have an option for you to download the rankings, but they will go back to being PDF's as opposed to an Excel file.

This makes my life a lot easier and helps me promote the Scouting Journal.

More updates to come!

The King of Diatribes

Adios, Kevin Lalande.

Why hello, Endras! Sleek little bugger.

Montoya goes up.

Peters goes up.

Enroth out of the Top-10!!!

You'll find a lot of "no change" since it's the dead days of summer. But goalies that moved or affected by trades will appear to have a little more of a drastic change than usual.

And of course the new format will be digital images of the pages in the journal. So there won't be links to articles anymore. Those are only activated with the purchase of the actual journal. I am thinking about displaying the expanded Top-100 for everyone though...since the chart no longer exists. We'll see!!

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    Adios, Kevin Lalande.

Why hello, Endras! Sleek little bugger.

Montoya goes up.

Peters goes up.

Enroth out of the Top-10!!!

You'll find a lot of "no change" since it's the dead days of summer. But goalies that moved or affected by trades will appear to have a little more of a drastic change than usual.

And of course the new format will be digital images of the pages in the journal. So there won't be links to articles anymore. Those are only activated with the purchase of the actual journal. I am thinking about displaying the expanded Top-100 for everyone though...since the chart no longer exists. We'll see!!
    I'm surprised at the jump Enroth made, I had read a few disconcerting reviews on him in the last little while.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

The King of Diatribes

He made a jump due to the fact the Sabres had no backup signed.

Lalime signed after the July 5 update ... so it hasn't been reflected yet. That is why he's out of the Top-10.

I wrote one of those disconcerting reviews. Just not a good thing for him being stuck in the AHL another season. Especially if Portland signs a good goalie to back him up. Lamoureux is now in Calgary.