Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Top-100 prospects rankings

The King of Diatribes

http://www.thirstforhockey.com/media...vs_Olivier_Roy

Good video I found earlier today.

Who would you take, J-F Berube or Olivier Roy?? This one is a little obvious, but a great example of what you would find reflected in these rankings and updates.

Dobber Sports Pro

Great list! I applaud you for the hours of work that must have taken, and I can agree with most of the placements on the list.

That said,
    I think Poulin is better than the position you place him at, but that's probably just me :P
    Last year I was lucky enough to catch numerous Victoriaville games(I've taken a liking to the team, even if they've been terrible in recent years) during my trips to Quebec and I always left shaking my head and absolutely frustrated for the kid, making great save after great save only to be let down by his defense over and over again. Sure, he'd sometimes try too hard and wind up out of position because he was thinking too much and trying too hard, but lately he's settled that back and has worked on his positioning and doesn't have to rely on his reflexes as much as he had to before.
    I swear, prospects who play for bad teams like that who learn to step it up that extra notch when he needs the team to survive...they excel when their team gets the least bit better because they're so conditioned to be incredibly focused all game and not having to pull out that extra gear makes them more consistent(well, consistent in their performance, not necessarily the result of the game).
    I've seen that with Poulin this year, I've seen it with Beskorawany in my local Kingston, and a few others. Their teams are still rather rough, mid-tier at best in their respective leagues, so they don't have the shiniest of stats, but you can see the improvement in the live games.
    Of course, I don't teach goalies, and I've never been a good enough goalie to do well even in amateur leagues, but I try to pick out things in players to help me draft goalies better, and it's definitely less of a crap-shoot for me now...the main variable usually ends up being opportunity whenever one fails(something I don't tend to look into, to my own dismay).

I just like passing on what I see. *shrug*

Oh, and Lehner has absolutely been on fire for Soo. I regret not picking him up in the draft, has me shaking my head every time he slams the door shut on high offense teams, as if to spite them.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Initiate

Dude, wow.

This is... wow.

I seriously think that some real life GM's would have MASSIVE benefits from this list. It is worth $$$.

No really, it is. I had to suffer through a terrible internet connection problem, so I only just got to it then. Damn.

Some stuff on there surprises me, so it is great to know. There is no way that I can keep up to date with all those guys (although I would love to, maybe when I move to Canada) so this is pure gold for me. Appreciate your efforts so much.

Couple of names way down on that list that I am rooting for :P.

NHL 09 still thinks that Montoya will be an elite some day though I was playing against a team where Luongo was backing him up the other day haha. Stats wise he was second to Price only. If only those developers had your list.

Am I wrong in thinking that Frazee was once much higher on your list?

I love this so much that it is getting bookmarked.

The King of Diatribes

Lockedge,

Poulin is a very interesting prospect and I have learned a lot about him over the last few months. A couple of things from what you said...

"Sure, he'd sometimes try too hard and wind up out of position because he was thinking too much and trying too hard, but lately he's settled that back and has worked on his positioning and doesn't have to rely on his reflexes as much as he had to before."

This is exactly why he's a little lower on the list. Goalies that play in any of the CHL leagues, especially the Q, have all the talent in the world when it comes to reflexes and sheer ability to make the "desperate" save (I don't mean that as a bad thing). But most of them are missing a vital component to making it to the next level. They have to know how to manage their game and play in an efficient manner so that they have consistent energy throughout 60 minutes.

I have seen plenty video of the kid and even saw some video of him at work at the Isles' rookie training camp and I loved what I saw. Of course it was only training camp, not a real game, but one of the knocks against Poulin is that he exerts so much energy trying to make the most amazing save in the world, that he does get caught out of position a lot and is unable to stay consistent with his focus and his movements because of that energy drain.

"I swear, prospects who play for bad teams like that who learn to step it up that extra notch when he needs the team to survive...they excel when their team gets the least bit better because they're so conditioned to be incredibly focused all game and not having to pull out that extra gear makes them more consistent(well, consistent in their performance, not necessarily the result of the game)."

Couldn't agree with this more. Glad to hear this is what's happening with Poulin and Beskorowany. That's the kind of juice I am looking for, as obviously I do not get the luxury of watching full games. Some online feeds I have work decently but most are so scrambled or grainy, it's like watching a blob in the crease and I get all frustrated.

I am pretty sure Poulin will slowly rise in the standings as the months go on. I never dictate someone's placement in the rankings by stats alone, it all has to do with their ability to absorb information through games and experiences. I would say Poulin has awesome skill, but not the best situational awareness. It will come with time though, especially if he's performing so well and the technical foundation is already super solid!

And yes, Lehner is a rock. I wasn't sold on him at the time of the draft, but the fact he's playing so well and impressing everyone is a good sign for his future being very bright.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Great info as always, love checking the new lists. Jeff Deslauriers doesn't make the top 100 though? Any insight on him would be awesome.

The King of Diatribes

Not sure how I forgot to add him in LOL. He has started 18 games now. He would easily be in the Top-10 or Top-15. We will have to see if he reaches the 25-starts mark by December 31st or I'll have to add him in. BLARGH!!!!!!! I knew there was at least one goalie I would overlook.

I'll add a separate post on Deslauriers because his last two games have been outstanding and I've watched them both. 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds does not speak at all for the size this kid has. And he's quick as all hell, one of my favorite prospects out there.

Thanks for the heads up on him. Mistake on my behalf!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Ah great, looking forward to it! I picked him up as my third goalie in my full keeper and when I didn't see him on there I thought maybe he wasn't turning out how you expected! At least I don't have to panic haha.

Dobber Sports Icon

I know its alot of work so Im not rushing you or anything(down to my last few hairs from pulling them out....smile)but when should we expect the December update for the top 100?

Keep up the good work Bro!!!

The King of Diatribes

I am running a short two-day tournament down in Monument (about an hour away f rom where I live here in Littleton) so I would expect everything to be posted on Sunday the 2nd. If it's not up by then, I'll have everything updated and uploaded and tied it into School of Block for Monday the 3rd!

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    I am running a short two-day tournament down in Monument (about an hour away f rom where I live here in Littleton) so I would expect everything to be posted on Sunday the 2nd. If it's not up by then, I'll have everything updated and uploaded and tied it into School of Block for Monday the 3rd!
    I got a better idea if its not done by Sunday - YOU"RE FIRED!!!!(LOL)

Thx Justin

By the way another nice article about Rollie the Goalie.

The King of Diatribes

I am actually working on some of it today =)

Down goes Koskinen, up goes Lehner

Up goes Howard and McCollum and Stalock.

Down goes Lalande and Riopel.

Dobber Sports Giant

Can wait to see the final results!

The King of Diatribes

Down goes Zaba, up goes Delmas.

Up goes Pielmeier, down goes Weiman.

Up goes Cheverie, down goes Dekanich.

Martin Jones goes up a lot as well.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Joacim Eriksson keeps playing very well Since getting snubbed for the WJC he's pitched a shutout in winning two games (let in two the other game). He has 6 SO on the year, which means that he's broke Eddie Belfours club record from a few years ago.
    GO WINGS!

The King of Diatribes

Janus goes up slightly now that he has signed a three-year entry level deal with the Lightning. Thanks for the update on JOACIM. Love that name.