Thread: Player Rankings

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Player Rankings

This likely should go in the Suggestion Box but I didn\'t want it to get lost in there.

I am thinking back to a poll that you did on the old site Dobber. It asked whether our keeper leagues included playoffs or not. If I\'m not mistaken, the majority of the pools did not include the playoffs. If this is true, have you given any thought to taking out the weighting for the playoffs in your player and goalie rankings? I think it would be a good idea because then the majority of your users/customers could see the rankings in a way that would be most beneficial to them. For example, since Hemsky(23rd) is not going to make the playoffs, his value is deflated versus a Daniel Sedin(25th) because the Canucks seem to have a better team and therefore will get him more points.

I just think it would be interesting to see your list broken down into regular season and playoffs so I don\'t over/under value a guy based on whether my league does or does not include the playoffs. In the example above, a trade of these two players looks pretty even but if my league doesn\'t include playoffs, we\'d likely see D Sedin\'s value decrease.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re:Player Rankings

Good thinking. I didn\'t even notice there was a play-off value inside the List values, until you said so.

hoopej2 wrote:
    This likely should go in the Suggestion Box but I didn\'t want it to get lost in there.

I am thinking back to a poll that you did on the old site Dobber. It asked whether our keeper leagues included playoffs or not. If I\'m not mistaken, the majority of the pools did not include the playoffs. If this is true, have you given any thought to taking out the weighting for the playoffs in your player and goalie rankings? I think it would be a good idea because then the majority of your users/customers could see the rankings in a way that would be most beneficial to them. For example, since Hemsky(23rd) is not going to make the playoffs, his value is deflated versus a Daniel Sedin(25th) because the Canucks seem to have a better team and therefore will get him more points.

I just think it would be interesting to see your list broken down into regular season and playoffs so I don\'t over/under value a guy based on whether my league does or does not include the playoffs. In the example above, a trade of these two players looks pretty even but if my league doesn\'t include playoffs, we\'d likely see D Sedin\'s value decrease.
    This was explained on the old site regarding the value added to the players for play-offs. I do believe that 0 - 8 points are based off play off value. So a player like Ovechkin would have zero points added where as any buffalo, Nashville, Detroit etc. player would have up to eight points added. What I have been doing is determining the value added and removing it before comparing the players.

Just a thought.
    12 Team H2H - Keep 8+2 NHL Rookies

G(1), A(1), GWG(1), SHG(1), HT(2), W(2), SO(3)

Weekly Line-ups - Start 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

F: Crosby, Stepan, Gaudreau, Puljujarvi, Radulov, Wheeler, Buchnevich, Burakovsky, Domi, Fiala, Hertl, A. Nylander, Reinhart, B. Ritchie
    D: Carlson, Giordano, Leddy, Ellis, Maatta, Orlov
    G: Lundqvist, Varlamov

09/10 and 10/11 Champion
    08/09 and 11/12 Runner-up

I must have missed that 0-8 range. I remember something like that for the goalies but didn\'t know it was the same thing for players. Dobber, can you confirm?

My point was basically that if the majority of us don\'t include playoffs in our pools, and we are Dobber\'s customers, why wouldn\'t he provide the list based on the needs of the many rather than the needs of the few.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I play in a couple of Keeper Leagues and all three have gone to the NHL playoffs as our playoffs. I find it alot more entertaining & introduces an aspect of strategy into the league. Your team must be strong enough to make the playoffs but also have enough playoff players to go deep into the playoffs. Having guys like Ovechkin can help you win the league but do nothing for you in the playoffs. Meanwhile mid-level point playoff guys like Getzlaf or Penner from ANA may not get you enough points to make the playoffs. Not to mention the real playoff upsets that throw the monkey wrench into several GMs victory parade - Edmonton & Carolina. I would recommend this set-up for any league.

It also makes the draft way more strategic as you also have to look at the playoff potential of players when drafting.

That is why I like Dobber\'s ranking as it a true reflect of a player value - regular season & playoff.

I only problem I have is the little weight he places on defensemen for a lot of leagues like mine that require D-men active. His ranking is heavily ranked against D-men in comparison to player playoff potential. Look at the difference between Lidstrom, Pronger & Nidermayer in comparison to forwards. The 0-8 playoff point adjustment is minor in comparison to the adjustments required to place a true value on D-men. This is only because his is a point based ranking system for all skaters. I just take his ranking & adjust them to fit my D-man requirements.

Personally, as a keeper league GM who uses the NHL playoffs I hope he doesn\'t change a thing in his players\' ranking. I think they are well done & very helpful.

I want my league to agree to extend our league into the playoffs but they don\'t want to so I\'ll keep on trying.

I really like Dob\'s d man rankings as for my league which is points only, they show a true reflection of their value for me.

I...am your father.

Every pool is different, hard to please them all! The playoff pools vs non-playoff was something like 40-60, so it was not really that large a gap.
    I\'ll think about it though.
    The playoff points added really is just 0-8, and there is not a lot of zeros until towards the end of the season.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the explanation, Dobber.