Thread: Jacob Markstrom or Jonathan Bernier

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Jacob Markstrom or Jonathan Bernier

I have my last prospect pick coming up goaltending is super important and I would like one of these 2 guys. I don't have to release my goalie prospects untill they play 82 games so i'll get to hold onto these guys for a few years,

I hope goalieguild see's this. I think you'll say Bernier but I would like some info on these guys. I think I read GGuild state at his website Markstrom is best euro tender.

I also think LA will be a very good team in 3 years.

I am leaning towards Bernier.

Other goalies are available. John Curry, AL Montoya, LaBarbra etc

I have already drafted Michal Neuvirth and Antti Niemi

any thoughts?
    Last edited by sensfan19; October 11, 2009 at 8:20 PM.
    Roto keep 8+1G

Start - 3RW/3LW/3C/4D/2G/1Utl

G,A,+|-,PIM,GWG,PPP,W,GAA,SV%,SO

League 1 (11 Teams) 10th yr

2017/2018 Roster

LW-Panarin/Galchenyuk/Roussel/Drouin
    C-Malkin/Zinanejad/Couturier/Brassard
    RW-Bratt/Oshie/Simmonds/Sheary
    D-Karlsson/Butcher/Fowler/Green
    G-Rask/Howard/Varlamov/Bernier
    (P)-Virtanen/O'Connor/Saros/Glass/White/Vesey

Dobber Sports Star

As good as Markstrom is, I'd definitely go with Bernier. Even if their talents are similar, I like the direction the Kings are going far better than where the Panthers are headed. I could see Florida being in big financial trouble like the Coyotes very soon.
    10 Team H2H Points-based Keeper League

G, A, PIM, SOG, +/-
    W, SO, SV, GA

C: H. Sedin, Stamkos, Backstrom, Duchene, Granlund
    LW: D. Sedin, Landeskog, B. Schenn, Tatar, Boedker
    RW: P. Kane, Voracek, Hudler, Silfverberg, Toffoli
    D: Ehrhoff, Edler, Franson, Del Zotto, Myers, R. Ellis, Hamonic
    G: Quick, Bishop, Holtby, Peters, M. Jones

Farm: Terevainen, Nurse, Raanta

League Champion: 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014

12 Team Roto Dynasty League Champion: 2011 and 2013

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I was thinking the same thing. hmmm Markstrom could move to a good team. I think if Bernier is available I'll go with him.

Bernier, Niemi, Neuvirth will be a solid group of goalie prospects i think. One will be a great goalie.

Thanks for the reply, feel free anyone to keep this thread going regarding these two goalies.
    Last edited by sensfan19; October 11, 2009 at 10:44 PM.
    Roto keep 8+1G

Start - 3RW/3LW/3C/4D/2G/1Utl

G,A,+|-,PIM,GWG,PPP,W,GAA,SV%,SO

League 1 (11 Teams) 10th yr

2017/2018 Roster

LW-Panarin/Galchenyuk/Roussel/Drouin
    C-Malkin/Zinanejad/Couturier/Brassard
    RW-Bratt/Oshie/Simmonds/Sheary
    D-Karlsson/Butcher/Fowler/Green
    G-Rask/Howard/Varlamov/Bernier
    (P)-Virtanen/O'Connor/Saros/Glass/White/Vesey

Dobber Sports Prodigy

the only problem with Bernier is that the goalie in front of him is young and really good to in Quick, so if he has a great year this year he will be cemented into the spot, where as Vokun has lost his job more than once in the past few years and has been up and down, plus he is older and more expensive so Florida could get rid of him so Markstrom may have more opportunity sooner. With that said Bernier is the better prospect, but opportunity maybe his problem and he may suffer the same fate as Montoya or Halask in MTL getting stuck behind another really good young goalie.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by King Henrik View Post
    the only problem with Bernier is that the goalie in front of him is young and really good to in Quick, so if he has a great year this year he will be cemented into the spot, where as Vokun has lost his job more than once in the past few years and has been up and down, plus he is older and more expensive so Florida could get rid of him so Markstrom may have more opportunity sooner. With that said Bernier is the better prospect, but opportunity maybe his problem and he may suffer the same fate as Montoya or Halask in MTL getting stuck behind another really good young goalie.
    Seems weird to describe Vokoun as less of an obstacle as Quick. Quick hasn't played 1 season the the NHL while Vokoun's pretty well established as a top goalie.
    10 Team Keeper Roto League (G, A, +/-, PIMs, Shots, Defensive Points, GAA, Sv %, Wins) - Keep 10 each year
    23 man roster, plus 3 man IR: start 4 of each forward position, 6 defensemen, 2 goalies, 3 man bench

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

my vote is Markstrom

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd say Markstrom. Haven't seen him play, but reports are he could be elite.

Quick just signed a 3-year extension in LA as well, so Bernier's road just got tougher. And Terry Murray seems to really love Quicker too.

*** 500th post for me! ***
    HHG - Amish Flyers
    10 team roto keeper (keep 17) w/50-man minors
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG,H,Blk,P2D,SktPts;W,GAA,SV%
    6-Time League Champ
    Active
    F: Barkov/Gaudreau/Guentzel/Tarasenko/Laine/Point/Teravainen/Norris/Bratt/BSchenn/Schmaltz/Ek
    D: Hughes/Weegar/Trouba/Klingberg/Pionk/Ghost/Spurgeon
    G: Jarry/Kuemper/Husso/Ullmark
    Minors
    F: Robertson/Hintz/Lafreniere/Batherson/Farabee/Jeannot/Frost/Tomasino/Garland/Holtz/Sillinger/Johnston/McMichael/Podkolzin/Maccelli/Beck/Brisson
    D: Nemec/Lundkvist/Zellweger/Rathbone/POJoseph/Hutson/Fehervary
    G: Swayman/Wallstedt/Brossoit/Fedotov/Prosvetov/Vejmelka/Prosvetov

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Rooper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by King Henrik View Post
    Seems weird to describe Vokoun as less of an obstacle as Quick. Quick hasn't played 1 season the the NHL while Vokoun's pretty well established as a top goalie.
    as weird as it seems, it's pretty accurate... vokoun is once again struggling and as i speak i'm watching quick stand on his head against the best team in the west during the regular season last year (the Sharks).

Quick is darn good. I thought as much watching him last year, but you never know what time will bring. Time has apparently brought quick continued success. LA no longer has temporary fill-in's while they wait for Bernier... LA has a legit goalie that Bernier will have to bust his ass to displace.

Such is the life of the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by AFlyers66 View Post
    I'd say Markstrom. Haven't seen him play, but reports are he could be elite.

Quick just signed a 3-year extension in LA as well, so Bernier's road just got tougher. And Terry Murray seems to really love Quicker too.

*** 500th post for me! ***
    Yep, i wouldn't expect too much from Bernier for at least another 2 years.

Congrats on the milestone.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW