Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: balls-silly

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default balls-silly

give this guy the coyotes already. he's bidding over 100million more than the NHL is. i dont know all the facts 100% but i know he's pissing off bettman so i love it more than ever. he has money coming out of his ass lol.

Dobber Sports Icon

Relocation fee will be $100-195 million on top of that! But I don't know if that's for sure or what the NHL is hoping to charge Balsillie...

Unreal.

I would love to see Bettman's face if/when he hears the news that JB's bid is accepted. How can they not accept the bid when its almost twice as much as the next highest? Is it totally up to the Coyotes owners which bid wins? (if JB ends up being allowed to bid that is). I am not going to study the legal crap so maybe someone who knows it can chime in here...

If only Winnipeg was a viable option...*sigh*
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

I wonder what it feels like to have money coming out of your ass!

I agree! Just give the damn team to My man Jim!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Apprentice

He probably has it by now if he doesn't bang down the door, guns blazing.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Yeah that would be pirceless face to see Betman after JB bid does get accepted.Then I hope He loses his job after that that would be great.. Go Jim Go
    League - YOUNG STARS DYNASTY LEAGUE
    12 teams

MY TEAM

Kovalchuk/Tavares/Zetterberg
    Michalek/ Thornton /Nash
    E.Cole/ Spezza/ Purcell

Suter/Jack Johnsson
    Del Zotto/ Hedmen

Miller / Hiller

Benched Players

Tanguay/Desharnis/Hemsky
    McDonald/Nyquist /Selanne

Gardiner/ Orlov

Dobber Sports Ace

Must be great to just chuck another $50m in pocket change on the table and smile at Buttman and go "Raise you 50 and i'll see you" LOL
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Dobber Sports Ace

I love it. Balsillie is raising the stakes big-time.

He's either determined to get his NHL team, in which case you have to admire his tenacity or he's determined to show how foolish Bettman is by raising the bar so high for the little tweep that no right-thinking person could think that Bettman was anything but an idiot for opposing Balsillie's purchase of the team.

Either way, I admire Balsillie and I'm cheering for him to be right on at least one account, but preferably both.
    Chatham Maroons
    21-team keeper league
    (G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHP, PIM ratio, MP and Goalie combo (Wins, OTL, SvPct, GAA)
    Forwards: Backstrom, Perry, Eriksson, J. Jokinen, Henrique, Sobotka, Marner, Barbashev, Connor, Labanc, Connolly, Petan, Sutter. Farm: C. White, Comtois, M. Jones, Villardi, Roslovic, Gurianov, Hayton, B. Tkachuk, Clarke, Rees.
    Defence: Jones, Leddy, Martinez, Beaulieu, Moore, Antipin. Farm: Bean, Bear, Vukojevic.
    Goalies: Rinne, Jones; Farm: Husso, Blackwood, Knight.

On Twitter: @HockeyScribe

Dobber Sports Initiate

Balls-Silly is one of my personal heroes...he falls in line somewhere behind Hue Hefner, John Holmes, and Ron Jeremy.....

Big Jim upped his bid to $242.5 Million for the team. $195 million for the relocation fee. $100 million for Copps Coliseum refurbish....that adds up to $537.5 mill.....and he hasn't even brought the team to Hamilton yet.....

Seems like a lot of cake....but if you think about it....Jimmy will own the team until the day he dies...so, it is a long term investment. $600 mill is a tough pill to swallow...but with the cake that he has and the long term return on that will far outweigh the initial investment me thinks.....

Go Jim Go!!!!

Dobber Sports Ninja

$600 million!? Unbelieveable. And when oil prices shoot back up to 200/barrel the cost of running an NHL team is going to skyrocket, not to mention revenues are going to drop significantly.

Hope he knows what he's doing. Fun story to watch though!

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Relocation fee will be $100-195 million on top of that! But I don't know if that's for sure or what the NHL is hoping to charge Balsillie...

Unreal.

I would love to see Bettman's face if/when he hears the news that JB's bid is accepted. How can they not accept the bid when its almost twice as much as the next highest? Is it totally up to the Coyotes owners which bid wins? (if JB ends up being allowed to bid that is). I am not going to study the legal crap so maybe someone who knows it can chime in here...

If only Winnipeg was a viable option...*sigh*
    I don't think you'll get to "see Bettman's face if/when he hears the news that JB's bid is accepted."

From what i understand, the current NHL owners voted unanimously against having Balsillie as an owner of any team in this league. You may not like bettman, but at the end of the day, he's just the errand boy of the 29 team owners (Moyes got kicked out of the club per the by-laws when he declared bankruptcy).

So the fact that the NHL and Bettman are fighting this, is a sign that the NHL owners don't want balsillie to be an owner.

Here's the thing: A bankruptcy judge in the united states, does not have technically have the authority (as far as i'm concerned) to undermine the lawful constitution of an international corporation. A U.S. judge doesn't have the jurisdiction or the authority to mandate that any unit be moved to a different country (which would be the case if they accepted Balsillie's bid... they'd basically be saying that Balsillie can move this team to Canada... but that's canada's decision to make). The NHL has specific rules pertaining to how teams can be bought, transferred, owned, etc... (all of which Balsillie is violating by taking this route of acquisition).

The judge is not going to deem anyone as owner of this team when it 100% violates the rules of the NHL as an organization.

==========

Bottom line is... that at the end of the day, the NHL has the power here... the by-laws have strict rules, and if Balsillie is magically awarded this franchise by a U.S. bankruptcy judge, the NHL has the power through said constitution to remove the coyotes from the league if the current owners are indeed that dead set against him.

So Balsillie could pay hundreds of millions of dollars for this team, and move them to hamilton, end up having no competition... source of income... or even NHL players to fill his roster. He'd basically have to join the AHL or something along those lines, because the NHL doesn't want him.

Meanwhile, by simply removing the coyotes... after having balsillie pay the city of phoenix the necessary compensation fees, the NHL could simply "expand" by one team, with much less cost/damage than if they were to give up on phoenix completely. So balsillie would be helping them... and still wouldn't have his NHL team... and lose millions in the process...

This is what could happen... if the NHL wants to take this all the way...

------------------------------

i really don't see any winning scenario in the cards for balsillie. As long as the organization doesn't want him, no extent of money, lawyers, judge decisions will get this guy a team.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by lanky522; September 8, 2009 at 12:28 PM.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Ace

You raise some interesting and valid points, Lanky.

While I'm not certain that your skepticism regarding Balsillie's chance of getting an NHL team is unwarranted, neither do I think it is entirely justified -- for two reasons.

I don't believe that NHL owners voted 27-0-2 (there were two abstentions) against having Balsillie. I don't believe that that many NHL owners are that dumb, which brings me to my second reason.

I know that they like Bettman, but I think that they like money more. I know that Balsillie has gone about this the wrong way, but there is no question that the NHL would be a healthier league financially if the Coyotes moved out of the desert. Pretty soon, some owners are going to start realizing this and if there are enough of them, then Balsillie will get his team. He will have to pay through the nose, though.
    Chatham Maroons
    21-team keeper league
    (G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHP, PIM ratio, MP and Goalie combo (Wins, OTL, SvPct, GAA)
    Forwards: Backstrom, Perry, Eriksson, J. Jokinen, Henrique, Sobotka, Marner, Barbashev, Connor, Labanc, Connolly, Petan, Sutter. Farm: C. White, Comtois, M. Jones, Villardi, Roslovic, Gurianov, Hayton, B. Tkachuk, Clarke, Rees.
    Defence: Jones, Leddy, Martinez, Beaulieu, Moore, Antipin. Farm: Bean, Bear, Vukojevic.
    Goalies: Rinne, Jones; Farm: Husso, Blackwood, Knight.

On Twitter: @HockeyScribe

Dobber Sports Master

Hope to see him get the team and make the NHL better
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    You raise some interesting and valid points, Lanky.

While I'm not certain that your skepticism regarding Balsillie's chance of getting an NHL team is unwarranted, neither do I think it is entirely justified -- for two reasons.

I don't believe that NHL owners voted 27-0-2 (there were two abstentions) against having Balsillie. I don't believe that that many NHL owners are that dumb, which brings me to my second reason.

I know that they like Bettman, but I think that they like money more. I know that Balsillie has gone about this the wrong way, but there is no question that the NHL would be a healthier league financially if the Coyotes moved out of the desert. Pretty soon, some owners are going to start realizing this and if there are enough of them, then Balsillie will get his team. He will have to pay through the nose, though.
    I disagree... in many circles... trust is more important than money. All of these owners are millionaires or billionaires... making several thousand dollars more a year most likely means less to them than having a guy they deem to be an douche in their clubhouse.

And don't get me wrong... i think Balsillie and Blackberry could do wonders for the sport in terms of exposure, exclusive rights, advertising, etc... and i think that hamilton could support a team (though there's not a doubt in my mind that buffalo would be negatively impacted).

But at the end of the day, i'm pessimistic at best. Balsillie is one guy... the NHL is a whole lotta guys... they are the big dogs still... even when money and bankruptcy judges are up against them.

---------------

I mean if you read the NHL by-laws... the stuff that balsillie is doing is stuff that any current owner would be removed for.

I have no problem believing the vote of 0-27-2 against balsillie. The guy is breaking the rules before he even owns a team!! what's he gonna do after he gets one? Suddenly stop? Play by the rules? No. Doubtful. why would he?
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lanky522 View Post
    I don't think you'll get to "see Bettman's face if/when he hears the news that JB's bid is accepted."

From what i understand, the current NHL owners voted unanimously against having Balsillie as an owner of any team in this league. You may not like bettman, but at the end of the day, he's just the errand boy of the 29 team owners (Moyes got kicked out of the club per the by-laws when he declared bankruptcy).

So the fact that the NHL and Bettman are fighting this, is a sign that the NHL owners don't want balsillie to be an owner.

Here's the thing: A bankruptcy judge in the united states, does not have technically have the authority (as far as i'm concerned) to undermine the lawful constitution of an international corporation. A U.S. judge doesn't have the jurisdiction or the authority to mandate that any unit be moved to a different country (which would be the case if they accepted Balsillie's bid... they'd basically be saying that Balsillie can move this team to Canada... but that's canada's decision to make). The NHL has specific rules pertaining to how teams can be bought, transferred, owned, etc... (all of which Balsillie is violating by taking this route of acquisition).

The judge is not going to deem anyone as owner of this team when it 100% violates the rules of the NHL as an organization.

==========

Bottom line is... that at the end of the day, the NHL has the power here... the by-laws have strict rules, and if Balsillie is magically awarded this franchise by a U.S. bankruptcy judge, the NHL has the power through said constitution to remove the coyotes from the league if the current owners are indeed that dead set against him.

So Balsillie could pay hundreds of millions of dollars for this team, and move them to hamilton, end up having no competition... source of income... or even NHL players to fill his roster. He'd basically have to join the AHL or something along those lines, because the NHL doesn't want him.

Meanwhile, by simply removing the coyotes... after having balsillie pay the city of phoenix the necessary compensation fees, the NHL could simply "expand" by one team, with much less cost/damage than if they were to give up on phoenix completely. So balsillie would be helping them... and still wouldn't have his NHL team... and lose millions in the process...

This is what could happen... if the NHL wants to take this all the way...

------------------------------

i really don't see any winning scenario in the cards for balsillie. As long as the organization doesn't want him, no extent of money, lawyers, judge decisions will get this guy a team.

My 2 cents.
    Lanky, I enjoy reading your opinion but this last one is not really realistic.

A couple of points.
    The NHL appears to be in a conflict of interest with a bid of its own in on the Coyotes. For them to reject his bid & their bid the next best (The other bid from Ice Edge is not realistic) reeks of duplicity. The NHL has previously approved Baisille as an owner. They must demonstrate what has changed for him now to be unacceptable. That is a tough sell with the cast of rogues as NHL owners including most recently Minny's & Nashville's. Even Melnyk complained. Baisille never mentioned him. It was in the court documents regarding the ownership of other NHL franchises. Baisille never said he was spotless just look at the other owners as well. That got Melnyk's goat.

Think of the team as an asset. A bankruptcy judge actually CAN decide who gets to own an asset (The team). That is his job - to maximize the return of creditors who have interests in the asset. He doesn't care where the asset goes. He is there to look after the interests of the creditors not the affiliated international corporation (NHL).

For the NHL to do what you suggest puts them on real thin ice. With the antitrust laws in the US you may find all of your international corporation's (NHL) USA assets (say maybe 24 NHL teams) tied up in a whopper of a lawsuit. Check out the Oakland Raiders lawsuit). This is why all the other sports have an interest in this decision. It is about the leagues' power over the individual teams.

I think that this is one of the reasons for the outrageous relocation fee. Drive the costs up for Baisille so the purchase becomes too expensive. My only argument against this is that an expansion team will probably cost a couple of hundred million. With an expansion team you have to build from scratch. How much is a team that appears to be on the verge of good things worth - alot more than an expansion team.
    Last edited by WhatThePuck?; September 8, 2009 at 1:38 PM. Reason: atrocious spelling

Dobber Sports Ninja

Interesting points, I'm not on the up and up with law etc but this should be quite the story to continue watching.