Thread: Goalie Rank'em. Markstrom/Neuvirth/Varly/Scheneider

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Goalie Rank'em. Markstrom/Neuvirth/Varly/Scheneider

If you had the opportunity to nab one of these tenders in a prospect draft which would it be? (W GAA SAV% SO)

Looking to compete this season, and no matter of playing time I can keep the drafted player for three seasons with an option to 're-up' another three years before the season where the player starts his 25th game. (ie. if I had owned varlamov aleady, I could re-sign him for another three years this season as he has not yet reached his 25 game mark.)

Markstrom - arguably the top guy on this list - a few years away
    Varlamov - Here now... starting job?
    Neuvirth - Ready to battle for starting WSH gig - just waiting for opportunity
    Schneider - did not impress during stint last season when Luongo went down - still highly touted.

What kind of ranking would you give with in my situation?

Thanks if advance!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

if you want to compete this season, then of course Varlamov.

Other than that, Markstrom>Neuvrith>>Schneider

Schneider wont' be of much use til Vancouver trades him somewhere else. With Luongo signed for life, Schneider usefulness is way down, even if he wins the backup job now.... being a backup behind goalie like Luongo who play 70+ games isn't fun, for him or for his fantasy owners.
    12-team H2H Dynasty League
    4C 3LW 3RW 2W 1F 1Util 5D 2G 4Bench + 25 players farm
    skaters stats(11): G A P +/- PIM PPG PPA SOG FW GWG SHP
    goalies stats(5): W SV GAA SV% SO

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Varlamov- Maybe not the full time starter this year, but I think he'll eventually be the starter. And he'll have Neuvirth backing him up. Call it a hunch. The only reason I would pick him in the draft over Markstrom is because you're trying to compete this year.

Markstrom- Will either steal the job from Vokoun or will have it handed too him within a year, maybe two. Will be extremely solid when he's in.

Neuvirth- Future backup(after Theo is shown the door after this year) on a very good, young team. All he needs is an injury or inconsistent play by Varly to take the job.

Schneider- This guy really reminds me of Al Montoya. All that hype. Nothing will come of it. Either because he backs up Luongo or (more likely scenario) he gets traded and stinks elsewhere.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Markstrom is the clear winner for long term in my mind, not only is he the best prospect as far as I'm concerned but he is the best position to be a clear number one down the road

Neuvirth and Varlamov both have a very good chance at the starting job and there is a good chance they will share starts like Boston did last year with their goalies.

Schnieder looks like he could be a pretty decent starting goal tender but as it has already been said he will basically never see the light of day while he's in Luongo's shadow. He'll be a blue chip trade piece for Vancouver and hopefully for his sake he ends up in a good spot. Tampa Bay or L.A. maybe? Both those teams will be ready to compete by the time he's competitive....

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default My 2 cents.

I agree with NYR9394 (didn't read your post before I replied)
    Not sure if you want to add in another notible mention. But, I think Tuukka Rask will have a good chance to challenge Thomas in 2010-2011 for starter spot. Probably get the start position in 2011-2012 the same situation as Markstorm.

Varlamov - 50/50 for starts for 2009-2010, I ssee him being the best option fastasy value wise. He'll be the Main starter after this year, and should be a soild tender for the season.

Markstrom - probably another year or 2 out before seeing NHL time. Skill wise probably the best out of the group. Most of the young guns in Florida should be hitting there prime when Markstorm gets the starter status. 2011-2012?

Neuvirth - I see him as Varly backup. He's a great tender as well but WSH is in favor of what (Ovechkin's wishes" and thats to assemble his semi Russian Team) Unless Varlamov gets rocked or injuried, I don't see much starts for Neuvirth. He'll be like Schneider is to Loungo.

Schneider - All backup unless Loungo falls to injury. maybe 10-15 games each season. Not much fasntasy value here if you ask me. Unless Injury to Loungo or he get traded.
    Last edited by wwkwan3; September 14, 2009 at 2:14 PM.
    12 Team roto Keeper League
    Player: G, A, PPG, PPA, +/-, PTS = 2pts
    Goalie: GGP, W, GAA, SPct, SO = 1 pt

Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D 2G, 6Farm Players.
    Keep 5/Team; Free Carryovers (under Age24)

C: H.Sedin, Weiss
    W: Ovechkin, D.Sedin, Booth, Voracek
    D: Streit, Suter, McCabe, M.Staal
    G: Bryzgalov, Neimi
    Farm: Leighton, White
    Carry: Connolly, McBain, Kabonov

Addicted to trading....sigh