Thread: Who would you take first: "Monster" vs Markstrom?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Who would you take first: "Monster" vs Markstrom?

Standard four goalie cats: W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Markstrom is #1 on most lists, but the one's I've seen (including Dobber's) only chart goalies signed to an NHL team, something the "Monster" was not at the time of release.

In terms of trade value, who would you take first and why? Gustavsson will get some starts this year, and may be starting the year after, but behind a rebuilding Leaf team. Markstrom may be time sharing with Vokoun by '10-11 according to the guide, and one would think Florida will be better than the Leafs, although from what I've read about Markstrom, he may be able to win games on his own.

Who would you take?

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Katharsis View Post
    Standard four goalie cats: W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Markstrom is #1 on most lists, but the one's I've seen (including Dobber's) only chart goalies signed to an NHL team, something the "Monster" was not at the time of release.

In terms of trade value, who would you take first and why? Gustavsson will get some starts this year, and may be starting the year after, but behind a rebuilding Leaf team. Markstrom may be time sharing with Vokoun by '10-11 according to the guide, and one would think Florida will be better than the Leafs, although from what I've read about Markstrom, he may be able to win games on his own.

Who would you take?
    well if you can wait... i'd go with markstrom... he's got superstar potential... and will very possibly be the next big thing in goaltending... He was arguably the best prospect goalie this past year in the world (including the "monster").

Gustavsson will be good though (if he stays in the NHL which is not a guarantee), and he'll play at least some quantity of games this year... so he's your pick if you need immediate help.

As for your concerns about toronto vs. florida... they are null to me... toronto is building from the backend... in 2 years (if the monster is still there), toronto's defense could be one of the best in the league. Burke is a smart GM, and he'll stick to his plan... Even an average goalie may have pretty good stats for the buds in a couple of seasons...

Anyways...

Short term i take Gustavsson.

Looking 2-3 years out... markstrom no question. He'll be a stud.

EDIT:

whoops... i skirted answering your question... Gustavsson has better trade value right now, because he'll play games this year... I think it's much more likely that you can trade gustavsson for markstrom at some point this season... but it's probably pretty unlikely that you'll be able to trade markstrom (if you select him first) for the monster once Gustavsson starts playing NHL games this year, and markstrom is not.
    Last edited by lanky522; September 4, 2009 at 9:03 PM.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by lanky522 View Post
    EDIT:

whoops... i skirted answering your question... Gustavsson has better trade value right now, because he'll play games this year... I think it's much more likely that you can trade gustavsson for markstrom at some point this season... but it's probably pretty unlikely that you'll be able to trade markstrom (if you select him first) for the monster once Gustavsson starts playing NHL games this year, and markstrom is not.
    Thanks for the insight. I almost find it hard to think someone would trade what is supposedly the top goalie prospect for Gustavsson though, even if one is playing and the other isn't. Production now is always better than production later in most cases, but Gustavsson is far from a sure thing for good production right away...

You've definitely made me think harder on the issue, thanks!

Dobber Sports Rookie

My money is on Markstrom. He's come along the right path - good prospect, drafted high, stellar WJC performance and now he's being developed in Sweden and will not be rushed. Vokoun's contract ends next year and at this point I don't see any reason why Markstrom wont take over at that point.

Gustavsson came out of nowhere last season and is now being thrust into the spotlight in Toronto (it hurts me to say this as a Leafs fan) where we tend to tear young players apart if they falter.

At the end of the day I think Markstrom is a stronger prospect based on how long we've known about him and his performances to date (plus how he's being developed), whereas Gustavsson is a wildcard that was 'discovered' last season and will either be the next Backstrom or be chased out of Toronto.

One last point in this long-winded answer - production now isn't always better if you're considering these two as trade bait. Right now they're both top prospects, but let's say Gustovsson starts the season poorly, what happens then? His value plummets whereas Markstrom is still in the lofty 'prospect' category.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Simply put, i'd go with Markstrom.