Thread: Which goalie to draft?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Which goalie to draft?

Roto keeper league, 11 teams, 7 keepers (expanding to 12 after the draft), 8 skater stats + W, GAA, SV%.

I have Brodeur and Rinne as two of my keeps. Looking to win this year, but goalies will be at a premium going forward so I may grab a few.

Draft starts soon and I'll be in a position to have my choice of some of these tenders. What should be my draft order?

Turco
    Emery
    Varlamov
    Osgood
    Vokoun
    Giguere
    C. Mason

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Varlamov- He probably wont start as the #1, but he'll get his fair share of playing time. Then you could also enjoy Washington's franchise goalie for years to come.

Emery- The best option if you're looking to win this year, but I dont trust that he'll be with Philly past this year. I think he'll play well this year and get his money elsewhere with a lesser team. That wont be too good.

Giguere- Either he'll take over the #1 in Anaheim and be the man again or he'll get traded and be the man elsewhere. Either way he'll bounce back.

The rest are either too old or too inconsistent with uncertain futures.

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree on Varlamov & Emery.

I disagree on Giguere. I think we has an uphill battle with a big salary as a noose around his neck. I think he is the riskiest of the bunch.

I think that Turco and Vokoun post numbers this year, with a leaning towards Turco.

Emery is a bit of a gamble. Feast or famine when picking him, but with Broduer and Rinne in front of him, not a bad gamble to take.
    10 Team Salary Cap Keeper League-protect up to 15
    Total of points and +/-; position vs. position (ie. my 2 Centres vs. his 2 Centres)
    C -Crosby, Ribeiro, Strome, Granlund
    LW -Neal, Nyquist, Johansson, TBD
    RW -Coyle, Eberle, TBD, TBD
    D -Streit, Phaneuf, Green, Keith, Letang, TBD
    G -S. Mason, TBD

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd rate them like this:

Varlamov (be wary that he may be sitting on the bench quite a bit this season)
    Emery
    Turco
    Vokoun
    C. Mason
    Osgood
    Giguere

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Wow, is that the consensus? That Giguere's days as a starter are done? If so, I think it's a little pre-mature. He had 1 bad year!

Dobber Sports Giant

Varlamov is probably only good if you're looking to replace Brodeur down the road, but I don't think he would help you much this year.

Emery again is a gamble, but as for your 3rd goalie, I woudn't mind.

Vokoun is really underated and usually post good numbers.

I just read Justin's article and really like what I've read about Turco. He (Justin) and I don't have a crystal ball, but I like what he said about the fact that Auld should push Turco to play like he was playing a couple of years ago.

As for Giguere, I really don't know what to think. I don't think he's done, but I don't like his situation in ANH where he could be easily outplayed by Hiller.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default My 2 cents

Emery - he's played well in KHL... I'm pretty sure he wants to prove himself on his NHL come back and with a strong Defense to help, not to mention the firepower up front. Even if he does an avg. performance I think the team will be able to carry him through it. Soild pick.

Varlamov - We know how Jose is not gonna perform since way back when the "equipment changes" were made it's all down hill for him. Varlamov will get half the games this season.

C. Mason - with most of the offensive lineup coming back from injury, I think Mason will have a good chance to pick up a good number of wins this year. Shoutouts... probably not but he'll get 30-35wins this year.

Osgood
    Giguere - Both are in the same boat. Up and down... I beleive Osgood is in a better position then Giguere though. Howard hasn't really stepped up his game yet so if Osgood stays healthy he'll remain #1 for Det. For Giguere, Hiller had a great playoff run. I think ANA wouldn't mind switching to him for half the starts.

Vokoun - FLA has another year under there lineup. I think he'll be decent 25-28 this season.
    I think by the time the FLA snipers are ready Vokoun will be replaced with Markstorm.

Turco - Roll the dice and see what you get...35win.... or 20wins ahaha But he'll take most of the starts.
    12 Team roto Keeper League
    Player: G, A, PPG, PPA, +/-, PTS = 2pts
    Goalie: GGP, W, GAA, SPct, SO = 1 pt

Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D 2G, 6Farm Players.
    Keep 5/Team; Free Carryovers (under Age24)

C: H.Sedin, Weiss
    W: Ovechkin, D.Sedin, Booth, Voracek
    D: Streit, Suter, McCabe, M.Staal
    G: Bryzgalov, Neimi
    Farm: Leighton, White
    Carry: Connolly, McBain, Kabonov

Addicted to trading....sigh