Thread: Nabokov Meeting with Wilson

The King of Diatribes

Default Nabokov Meeting with Wilson

So I found a pretty interesting article on Evgeni Nabokov:

http://www.mercurynews.com/topstorie...nclick_check=1

I am beyond curious just exactly how that "meeting" went. Were they really yapping back and forth about Nabokov's play???

"Nabokov, who took part in the informal Captain's Ice practices last week, characterized his meeting with Wilson as a mix of criticism and positive reinforcement."

Pardon my boredom, but in my mind, the meeting actually went something like this........

------------------------------------------

Wilson: Nabby, you are easily one of the best goalies in the game. So what the heck happened in that series against the Ducks???

Nabby: Well, you know, I had to deal with some groin issues this season...and uhm...you still let the coaching staff start me 62 times.

Wilson: What are you saying??? Were you just way too tired by the time the Ducks flew into town??

Nabby: Uhh...no, I wasn't tired. I just wasn't in my normal rhythm. I wasn't as focused as I should have been. You couldn't tell from watching me??? Couldn't you see the difference compared to last April???

Wilson: Are you questioning my ability to analyze and read games???

Nabby: DUDE...calm down...I didn't say anything like that. Look, man...I love it here in San Jose. The fans are insane, winning at home is a breeze and the team is solid. But why are you expecting me to be like Luongo??

Wilson: Whyyoulittle...

Nabby: WAIT. Let me finish!! I'm only human, dude...and I'm 34 years old. Why don't you do us all a favor and give my good friend Thomas Greiss some minutes. He's extremely solid, a very good enthusiastic young kid and he's been waiting patiently to play. You also have that Tyson Sex-whatever kid just foaming at the mouth for a chance in training camp. Between the two of them, let them play some of these less-important games in the first half of the season.

Wilson: -ponders quietly- Are you saying you don't want to be the #1 guy for San Jose anymore????

Nabby: What is your deal, huh???? You are the one that set up this meeting. You're the one furious about our loss to the Ducks!! Look, I'm not so happy about my performance either. But I'm being open and honest about what we need to do to fix it and you're turning this into something it's not. Look. It's this simple. Manage my minutes better and create a competitive atmosphere between Greiss and Sexsmith. Let me do my thing over 62-65 games and then I SWEAR I'll be more focused in the second half of the season...when it really matters and our team really starts having fun...and THEN I'll be in that perfect elusive rhythm I so desperately need.

Wilson: ....Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII get it. Yes...yes...I love it!! Okay, we'll roll with this. Why are we forcing you to play almost every single game when we are locking up the PRESIDENT'S TROPHY, not a PLAYOFF SPOT. There's no need for it. Your talent is unquestionable. But to force you to play that many games then perform at your highest in the playoffs is almost unfair.

Nabby: Right! Exactly! And at the same time, you just might uncover an incredible goalie prospect, or two, in the process.

Wilson: Nabby, you're a genius.

Nabby: Indeed, sir, I am. Now if it's okay with you, I'd like to pack my bags for Russia. I have a pretty important training camp coming up...what with the Olympics and everything, you know??

Wilson: Ah yes, best of luck to you, good sir. But just real quickly, about that no-trade clause........................

Dobber Sports Pro

Nabby: Oh ya, thanks for that NTC I really appreciate it. This way I can do what I want and you can't do much about it. So..off to Russia!

Wlison: WHAT? At 34 years old, instead of resting and focusing on the upcoming season you are going to fly overseas and participate in a training camp for free? Then you have the audacity to suggest that I start that Greiss kid or Sex-whats-his name? Are you screwing with me?

Nabby: Sounds about right. Once again thanks for the NTC.

Wilson: GRRRRRR... Just make sure you are "in your rhythm" come playoff time.

Nabby: And you make sure that those 2 clowns understand that if they don't score in the playoffs, you will do more than take the stupid letters off the front of their jerseys. And don't be stupid and give them a no trade clause.

Wilson: Have a nice flight. SIGH....

The King of Diatribes

Hilarious!!!

For some reason, your whole post I was using Stewie's voice. LOLOLOL. I love Family Guy way too much. But it made your comment THAT much funnier.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The article says that Wilson mentioned that things got 'heated' and Nabokov said there was 'criticism' in there. Anyone else think this could become an issue or am I reading between the lines too much?

The King of Diatribes

Well I just wanted to clarify that after seeing the article, I thought the emphasis on the meeting in the first place was a little over-dramatic. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

My question is this, however:

Did Nabokov come out and say he would trade his no-waive clause BEFORE or AFTER this meeting he had with Wilson? It sounds like he said this way before the meeting, but I don't know exact dates for sure. If Nabby said this AFTER the meeting, was it BECAUSE of the meeting, or was he going to agree to waive the no-trade clause REGARDLESS?

My other question is:

Why is San Jose one of the ONLY teams that hasn't signed a reliable experienced backup?? I've already listed all the teams that did this in a previous post...but what reasoning does SJ have for NOT signing someone?

Either Greiss and Sexsmith are really THAT good and the organization is THAT comfortable with him, or something else is going on here.

Why have Boucher be Nabokov's backup last year and then let him go, then have a million other backup goalies to choose from ... and up until right now, do nothing but lead everyone to believe it's up to Greiss??????

Again, I'm probably looking WAY TOO FAR into this, but THAT'S EXACTLY what I hate about August ... but when it's printed in a newspaper, it always seems more dramatic than what it really is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    Why is San Jose one of the ONLY teams that hasn't signed a reliable experienced backup?? I've already listed all the teams that did this in a previous post...but what reasoning does SJ have for NOT signing someone?
    Calgary has no experienced backup either...

But what I really wanted to say is.. I just acquired nabokov yesterday, I am a little confused about this article. Is he going to Russia as in KHL, or just for training camp?

Do I need to worry about nabokov this year? I traded Hossa away for him, so I better not be screwed hehe

Dobber Sports Apprentice

He's going to Russia for the Russian Olympic Hockey Camp I believe...

The King of Diatribes

Yes, just for Team Russia's camp. It said somewhere in the article that he was heading over there this week I believe.

Banned

ahh oke, thanks for letting me know

Dobber Sports Pro

Haha! Great post. Definitely spot on(well, I'd imagine worded differently but whatever).

Personally, I think that they should give Greiss a bunch of games in a healthy split between him and nabby(maybe 65-35 until the olympics) to keep nabby fresh so that the olympics schedule won't mess him up too much. San Jose management is high on Greiss, high enough to say he could be a starter on some NHL teams(I recall an article with pretty much that exact quote last year) so that's why they didn't sign an experienced backup.
    Anywho, once the olympics are over, depending on the outcome, either give Nabby the reigns and rest him on back to backs, or let Greiss start a couple of games going forth in the same split as before, but give Nabby a lot more starts down the stretch. That way he's fully prepped, not worn out, and will likely have played around 60 games in the season when all is said and done. A fresh goalie in the playoffs is better than a tired goalie(I recall another article, I think it was here, discussing the amount of games played by Cup winning goalies in the past and it was rare for any to have played over 65 games or something). Also, a goalie on a hot tear down the stretch is better than one who's been swamped with games and has his momentum sapped by necessary spot starts to rest him up.

I remember the ferocity Nabokov played with after Warren Strelow died, in the '07 playoffs, and if it weren't for arguably the most embarassing post-season play in Sharks history from the rest of the squad(not to mention Coach Wilson getting thoroughly outcoached at every step by babcock), Nabby would at least have a conference final to show for it and likely more due to his remarkable play that year. Even in the '07-'08 playoffs, he was stellar. People make him out to be a dog in the playoffs, and it's true that he'll let in a softie(it rarely happens, but it happens), but he's made saves that he had no business making, and his epic faceoff against Turco in the 07-08 playoffs was proof enough for me that he's clutch.

Any talk about trading him would be foolish. Sure, there are other goalies I might prefer to have on San Jose right now but I can count them on one hand.

If Wilson wants to address the problem with the Sharks, he needs to look at a few things:
    -Intensity. There's always been a lack of intensity in the modern day San Jose Sharks. Ever since Vinnie Damphousse left the team, it's been running on embers. Marleau is a solid captain, and I'm ok with him losing his C if he's given an A and Boyle given a C. Still though, they need a guy(or a group) to get them fired up. They need to stop giving canned remarks about them being fine with their ability to perform and not worrying about themselves going forth in the playoffs. They need to be less casual and more like #4 on this list, or the '96-'97 Dallas Stars or Craig Conroy or Ovie here or even Jagr's post-game honesty here. EVERY post-season it's always "Well, we lost *enter number of games here* but we're still in it, we're confident we can pull it around, we're not the same as we were before and we'll pull through". People with fire like Derek Roy, or whatnot. People who aren't totally placid. They have that in Mitchell, and Roenick was like that too(Grier had an edge too but he left, and Goc had huge post-season work ethic but was let go).
    Logan Couture, from what I've seen of his play, might have a bit of that. They should have drafted Michael Latta, I think he'll be one of those 3rd line post-season types that put it all out there and get results.

But I've ranted off-topic completely. Sorry :P

ANYWHO, with rest and a less strenous schedule, I can see Nabby shining in the playoffs again this up-coming post-season if the Sharks make it. Worst comes to worst they end up as underdogs and they lose the pressure of being the favourite, and lose the excuse of that false superiority over their opponents.
    Nabby would benefit from having a team that fully cared as much as he does, and in return they'd have a better mindset going forward. Strangely enough, I'm somewhat looking forward to seeing how it all turns out, instead of my usual dread. XD
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

The King of Diatribes

Awesome post, good insight, great links.

I would say that you are spot on with a lot of what you say. You could totally tell that Nabokov wasn't focused, energized or alert in that series against the Ducks. He had very few chances to build any type of real momentum because every time San Jose had a scoring chance, it was almost always thwarted.

When a goalie is clawing and scraping his way into a rhythm and the OTHER goalie is getting tons and tons of work and making amazing saves, it becomes even tougher to find that rhythm...and tougher to stay focused. This is because you WANT MORE SHOTS ... you want to move around and get some of that nervous energy out so that you're blood is flowing and your feeling more comfortable. This is something a goalie of all ages and levels feels and goes through in a game.

I would say that there's definitely some lazy attitudes on the Sharks that don't allow them to play at their best in the playoffs. It's leaks through everyone and if every single player doesn't put in 110%, they will lose the series to the team that does. This is one of the reasons the Avalanche have been losing so many games the last three years.

It's not because they're just not talented enough or don't have good goaltending...it's because they don't put in the effort. They are not only one of the smallest and weakest teams out there, but they don't have a single power forward except Chris Stewart. And if you are going to come on here and tell me that Wolski is a power forward, I'll have to dig up my post on him that went on and on about how much of a weenie he is with the puck.

On the other hand the Sharks are HUGE and have GREAT goaltending. So that's why I can see so many fans getting so frustrated with the Sharks in the playoffs. I would say that this team has learned their lesson big-time. Same with Nabokov. He and the entire team has so much experience now that if they get in a playoff position where the opponent is a lower seed, they will not be complacent.

I wonder at the number of chances Nabokov has to win a Stanley Cup. Do you think he notices that it could also be counted on one hand?

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Calgary has no experienced backup either...

But what I really wanted to say is.. I just acquired nabokov yesterday, I am a little confused about this article. Is he going to Russia as in KHL, or just for training camp?

Do I need to worry about nabokov this year? I traded Hossa away for him, so I better not be screwed hehe
    I would not have taken Hossa for you if he was fleeing Dutch.
    2010-2011 Team Try Hard League Champion
    2009-2010 Dobber Pirate League Champion
    2009-2010 Dobber Elite League Champion

I'm the best! Dutch is the Worst.