1 4.17%
  • O. Roy

6 25.00%
  • D. Larssen

9 37.50%

Thread: Please rank these goalie prospects

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Please rank these goalie prospects

Who will have the greates upside potential within the next 3-5 years?

Curry
    Tokarski
    D. Larssen
    Helenius
    O. Roy
    M. Murphy
    M. Lee

Thanks
    16 TM H2H Dynasty
    Stats: G A PPP +/- PIMs SOGs W GAA SV% SHO
    Rosters: 3C 3RW 3LW 6D 1G 8BN 3IR
    Farm:14 plyrs

C- Krejci Arnott Umberger
    RW- Ryan Doan Gionta
    LW- Vanek Smyth Avery
    D- Green Chara Doughty McCabe Liles Rozsival
    G- Price
    BN- Bryz DEllis Kotalik Ott Legwand MRaymond MacArthur Sykora SBernier Hamhuis

Farm: Duchene Colbourne JCarlson Pietrangelo ZBoychuk Neuvirth Koskinen Salak BSmith CSchneider Frazee MMurphy CJohnson RStone

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by senswin View Post
    Who will have the greates upside potential within the next 3-5 years?

Curry
    Tokarski
    D. Larssen
    Helenius
    O. Roy
    M. Murphy
    M. Lee

Thanks
    Im not a goalie guru so im gonna leave potential stats out of this. I will base my OPINION simply on team player is with, youth, and situation.

1) John Curry ( If Fluery goes down with injury, Curry steps right in / also is the backup

2) Mike Murphy ( similar situation as Curry is in, Murphy could get a call this year to backup - long term starter though

3) Oliver Roy - future legit #1 starter

4) Daniel Larssen - Detroit has Osgood and also McCollom as a prospect , not to mention Howard. So I dont think Larssen ever makes it to the bigs in Detroit ( I think he gets traded at some point) thus his value will be determined by that, it could go higher in this list based on that.

5) Mike Lee - he's a long way away from NHL play - but a very good prospect

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Defiant View Post

4) Daniel Larssen - Detroit has Osgood and also McCollom as a prospect , not to mention Howard. So I dont think Larssen ever makes it to the bigs in Detroit ( I think he gets traded at some point) thus his value will be determined by that, it could go higher in this list based on that.
    Larsson is the best prospect the Wings have. He outplayed Howard last year with Grand Rapids, and was an all star in the AHL. He also should be playing on Team Sweden come the olympics. Larsson is the real deal. Look for him to get a call up this year at some point when Howard isn't getting the job done at backup. By 2010-11, he'll be backup, and get a hard look to get the nod as the goalie of the future. The Wings historically go for cheap vets, but he could make that decision a tough one for Holland.
    MFHL

F: Kovy, Stamkos, DSedin,PKane, Hemsky, Vanek, Gagner, Bergeron, Little, Gagne, Frolik, Backes
    D: Gonchar, JBo, Jovo, Yandle, Martin, Pronger
    G: Lundy, Turco
    B: Lupul, Kunitz, Filatov, Hornqvist, Moss, Coburn,Kulikov, Lee, Sekera, Price, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ace

I don't see Curry playing backup in Pitts this year, and even though I've been hearing Dobber and co. talk him up a while now, one thing I've learned watching junior in the west the last few years is never bet against Dustin Tokarski. If the poll said 1-3 years UI;d for sure vote Curry, but 5 years from now Tokarski will be a solid starter if he keeps up the momentum he has.

The King of Diatribes

Okay this is one of the tougher rankings I've come across this summer LOL. I see at the top the poll uses the word "best" but the first post says "greatest" so I'm not sure how I should rank these goalies. So I'll choose...

GOALIES RANKED BY CURRENT UPSIDE, OR HAVING HIGHEST POTENTIAL IN 3-5 YRS:

1. TOKARSKI - I would argue that he has the best raw skills and quickest raw reactions out of anyone on this list. Has some big international experience with Team Canada to use as a springboard to a solid professional career.

2. CURRY - He'd be first since this list is about position in the league, not overall skill, but by the time 3-5 years rolls around, he'll be at a much different stage in his career.

3. LARSSEN - By far the best long-term value for Red Wings prospects. If he doesn't stick with Detroit, the exposure he gets in a Red Wings jersey will give him clout with other teams (like Manny Legace or Curtis Joseph...but a lot better LOL).

4. ROY - Have to be careful with this one, because he's a lot more talented than it shows when he ends up 4th on a list like this. It's more his situation in Edmonton and the fact he's only two years into his QMJHL career. He will take longer to get to the NHL than the ones before him...but slow and steady often wins the race.

5. MURPHY - Very quick and talented goalie, but not as technically sound as those above him. Murphy is a gamer and a tireless worker, so he gets by on effort and energy as opposed to sheer talent. It's tough to gauge what kind of impact he'll have on the NHL but depending on what goes on with Michael Leighton, Murphy's chances will come quicker than Larssen or Tokarski.

6. LEE - Will develop into one of the more successful pro goalies to come out of the NCAA, but he is a work in progress. Let's see how he holds up in his first season in the WCHA and see if he can make St. Cloud State a contender in the toughest division in college. If he plays three years and then leaves early, that's a real good sign.

7. HELENIUS - A solid prospect right now, but in three to five years he could be a flame out. I see him succeeding for a short amount of time but not really sustaining a long and successful NHL career.

Hope that helps!! That was a fun list to rank...very tough but that's how I see it going down.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the replies everyone. Very much appreciate the insight on a tough list of prospects (as shown by the poll results...no run away winner, but Larssen did get the edge.

Cheers
    16 TM H2H Dynasty
    Stats: G A PPP +/- PIMs SOGs W GAA SV% SHO
    Rosters: 3C 3RW 3LW 6D 1G 8BN 3IR
    Farm:14 plyrs

C- Krejci Arnott Umberger
    RW- Ryan Doan Gionta
    LW- Vanek Smyth Avery
    D- Green Chara Doughty McCabe Liles Rozsival
    G- Price
    BN- Bryz DEllis Kotalik Ott Legwand MRaymond MacArthur Sykora SBernier Hamhuis

Farm: Duchene Colbourne JCarlson Pietrangelo ZBoychuk Neuvirth Koskinen Salak BSmith CSchneider Frazee MMurphy CJohnson RStone