Thread: Bryzgalov Or Rinne?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Bryzgalov Or Rinne?

I Have been struggling with this question since well before last season's end. I get 6 keepers a year on a 20 man roster, so this probably isn't a large look into the future as they may be replaced in one or two years as it is, but my 5 to be set in stone are Crosby, Lundqvist, Phaneuf, Spezza, Hemsky, and then I'm pretty much deciding between which of the goalies to keep.

I am probably going to try and go for it this year, so that is definitely a consideration. I am really a big fan of Rinne, I'm just a little scared he may not be able to carry over into his sophmore year, although he is more mature so it may be less of an issue. With Bryzgalov, he definitely has the talent to turn it around and Phoenix is bound to be good one of these years, but will it be this year and will any of the off ice drama have an effect?

I'm leaning Rinne right now, but I've definitely been flopping between the two.

I could also go an alternate route and keep Rafalski as a second d man, but I believe strongly in goaltending.
    12 team roto with 6 keepers, G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG, W SV% SHO
    C-Crosby Spezza Connolly
    L-Smyth Rolston Malone Sullivan
    R-Hemsky Ryan Ryder Backes Fleischmann Cleary
    D-Phaneuf Rafalski Whitney Pitkanen
    G-Lundqvist Bryzgalov Theodore Rinne

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

That is really a tough one considering the issues you've laid out. Not to mention that I doubt either team will be particularly good over the next few seasons. As of right now, i'll say Rinne. He is younger and has alot more potential to be a very good goalie. I think that at this point Bryz is what he is. He may have some above par seasons, but I think that while he is the goalie of the Yotes, he is limited on what he can/will do. He will not be as good as Rinne overall, imo.

Administrator

I prefer Rinne, but I wonder about keeping Ryan instead. Don't really want to throw another wrench into your decision but the guy is pretty solid as a keeper option.

With Lundqvist in goal you will always be strong between the pipes. My thinking is Rinne and Bryz are close but perceived value will probably see Rinne go way earlier. So you could keep a roster player, draft Bryz later and still come out looking pretty good.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Banned

I own them both myself and I'm very happy to as I think they will both be studs in 2-3 years. But you are right to agonize...the goalie situation in NSH is infuriating, how many times have we seen franchise tenders fallen by the wayside there? Still if you are going for it this year or the next, then Rinne is your man I think, he's signed until 2010/11 for a rookie salary so he should stick around and post great numbers...Bryz is a work in progress since his team is a work in progress, 1-2 years away from giving us steallar numbers unless he blows up this year which I dont see, I see him and the yotes progressively getting beter collectively

Dobber Sports Ace

Alright, I sort of got the reassurance of what I was thinking there. Ryan was a good point, but I actually traded him at the end of the season for a pick and just never updated my roster there. That was a good strategy though, and unfortunately it doesn't really apply with the goaltenders because I think they will both go in the first couple rounds where I would like to be drafting forwards, hence keeping two goalies.

I know neither are particularly old, but I think for this year I have to keep Rinne. I am a Bryzgalov fan for sure and like where the Yotes are going, but unfortunately I don't have enough keeper space to retain that many goalies through the future.

So thank you all for the input, its definitely a big helper.
    12 team roto with 6 keepers, G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG, W SV% SHO
    C-Crosby Spezza Connolly
    L-Smyth Rolston Malone Sullivan
    R-Hemsky Ryan Ryder Backes Fleischmann Cleary
    D-Phaneuf Rafalski Whitney Pitkanen
    G-Lundqvist Bryzgalov Theodore Rinne

Dobber Sports Initiate

Want some quick and dirty fantasy advice? Stay away from Phoenix players.
    12 team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (keep 6)
    G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GAA, SV%, SO

2C - Stamkos
    2LW - Benn
    2RW - Laine, Marner
    4D - Josi
    1Util -
    2G - Rask

The King of Diatribes

MetalDude had a great way to handle your problems but obviously that's not possible anymore.

Therefore, definitely go with Rinne. Despite all the "perceived" notions of him, this is a goalie that is certainly on the rise, no matter where he plays or how bad his defense is. Can you say the same for Bryzgalov? Maybe, but not as easily as you can say it for Rinne.

Also look at my reply in the other thread where someone asks me for advice in the title...that has a lot of my insight on Rinne!