Thread: Price vs. Khabibulin vs Huet

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Price vs. Khabibulin vs Huet

All three goalies will be available in our dispersal draft this year, and i have nabokov who i am keeping. Which goalie would you go for? All 3 goalies should be taken within the first two rounds so i gotta take my pick at which one i want. It is a keeper league but my philosophy is to win every year and thats what ive done finishing 1st, 1st, and 2nd. I'd lean more towards huet because I'm a fan of getting wins, plus theres no threatening backup to Huet. Obviously Price is the better pick for the future tho. Im interested in your thoughts

Dobber Sports Giant

Keeper league: Price... no question

He will give you the numbers you need to win if you are to pick a goalie amongst these 3
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Super Moderator

I'd also go with Price. I understand your thoughts to go with Huet as Chicago is a superior team compared to the Habs, but if your league counts more than just wins, then I actually think Price will have better #'s in a defensive-minded system in Montreal. Huet for wins (for just this year) but Price or everything else and it being a keeper, Price is who I would choose.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Take Huet and win this year.

If Price, Huet and Khabi are available in your draft this year, you won't have trouble finding a replacement next year.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

For me, it depends on the stats you are scored on, care to let us know? Might help us a bit.

Plain Wins? Next year? I say; Huet/Price/Khabby

But your scoring system might change that a bit for me.
    -Matt.
    2011/12 Capped Keeper League Team((F)=Franchised@1/2 salary: 9F/3D/2G+spares

F-P.Kane(F)/C.Giroux(F)/M.Duchene(F)
    D-Green
    G-R.Luongo
    FREE ROOKIES:J.Eberle/N.Filatov/O.Ekman-Larsson/J.Bernier/C.Schneider

Dobber Sports Ace

Price is the guy to go with here biggest upside still quite young and has performed very well, minus a couple of hickups.

Makes me wonder why he is even available in your league, maybe small number of teams.

I don't trust Huet and not sure how things will shake out in Chicago cap wise makes him risky.

Khabibulin is a bit of a wild card in my mind, Edmonton always seems to underperform (maybe due to injuies?) and one of these season it just might all come together for this young fast, skilled team. Still it would be a bigger risk than Price especially given the ages involved.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sportsmaster4vr View Post
    All three goalies will be available in our dispersal draft this year, and i have nabokov who i am keeping. Which goalie would you go for? All 3 goalies should be taken within the first two rounds so i gotta take my pick at which one i want. It is a keeper league but my philosophy is to win every year and thats what ive done finishing 1st, 1st, and 2nd. I'd lean more towards huet because I'm a fan of getting wins, plus theres no threatening backup to Huet. Obviously Price is the better pick for the future tho. Im interested in your thoughts
    Hey sportsmaster,

Take 5 minutes and throw your team in your sig. Or post more details for us. I'm torn between Huet and Price right now until I know more. If it's a keeper, then Price 70/30, if not, then Huet would be the way to go next season. I'm assuming your league is a keeper though.

I think shoeless makes a good point. If these guys are available in this year's draft (suggesting you have 1 goalie keeper each year) then Huet may be the way to go if you're looking to win this year.

Since you finished 1st, 1st, 2nd - I guess part of your dilemma is analyzing how many points you need to put you over the top for a championship - and whether the gap Huet will likely have over Price this year could be the difference between winning and losing.

The one kicker in all of this - If Price bounces back, you'll kick yourself for not getting him the one time you had the chance.

Anyways, good luck.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Price for sure.

Khabby just got a brand new 4 year deal so i dont really expect him to do anything big this season.

Huet should defanitly put up some wins this year, but ive heard since the Blackhawks have all these cap problems and if they want to keep Toews and Kane, they might end up waiving Huet.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

its a 12 team 5 player keeper league where goalie stats are wins, saves, save %, GAA, and SO. I had price last year and he left me out to dry at the end because he lost his job and i couldnt drop him because i was contemplating on keeping him. I have Nabokov as my Keeper Goalie so i'm looking for a good compliment for him and i just think Nabby and Huet is more lethal than Nabby and Price since i had that combo last year. I was interested in people comments as the majority like Price even after his below sub-par season. Yes Martin is in MTL but as long as Halak is there im iffy on Price. I mean my philosophy has always been to have the great stud goalie (Nabokov) and groom the young star potential goalie for the future. (Price) Just after winning back to back and not winning last year i want to be number one again. Maybe varlamov can be the guy i groom for the future.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sportsmaster4vr View Post
    its a 12 team 5 player keeper league where goalie stats are wins, saves, save %, GAA, and SO. I had price last year and he left me out to dry at the end because he lost his job and i couldnt drop him because i was contemplating on keeping him. I have Nabokov as my Keeper Goalie so i'm looking for a good compliment for him and i just think Nabby and Huet is more lethal than Nabby and Price since i had that combo last year. I was interested in people comments as the majority like Price even after his below sub-par season. Yes Martin is in MTL but as long as Halak is there im iffy on Price. I mean my philosophy has always been to have the great stud goalie (Nabokov) and groom the young star potential goalie for the future. (Price) Just after winning back to back and not winning last year i want to be number one again. Maybe varlamov can be the guy i groom for the future.
    Nothing wrong with the idea of taking Varlamov, but he's not 100% to be the starter so keep that in mind. If it's a 12GM 5 player keeper league, you're likely going to keep Nabby at the end of the year (however, it's important to remember he is a UFA at the end of this year). If your gut is telling you Nabby/Huet rather than Nabby/Price - nothing wrong with that - especially if you're very sure you'll end up keeping Nabby at the end of the year. I guess part of it depends on whether you believe Price will become the franchise goalie everyone is expecting.

Overall it's a tough one. Good luck with your decision.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Ace

I think your gut was right last year. Nabie the workhorse and Price in the wings. Take Valry too if you can. Did Price cost you 1st place on his own?

I think he will bounce back pretty fierce this year and post some good numbers. That death spiral he entered after the allstar break will be a great learning experience and help him mature quickly.

I don't think Huet is as stable as he appears in Chicago. Keep in mind that there is a buyers market for goalies in the NHL right now and nobody is really safe. Especially in Chicago where the expectation for this season is nothing less than the Stanley Cup.
    10 Team Salary Cap Keeper League-protect up to 15
    Total of points and +/-; position vs. position (ie. my 2 Centres vs. his 2 Centres)
    C -Crosby, Ribeiro, Strome, Granlund
    LW -Neal, Nyquist, Johansson, TBD
    RW -Coyle, Eberle, TBD, TBD
    D -Streit, Phaneuf, Green, Keith, Letang, TBD
    G -S. Mason, TBD

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm down on Price right now for three main reasons.

First, Halak outplayed him last year. Halak's better at certain aspects of the game, so he will continue to eat into Price's minutes. We will hear the words "goalie controversy" at least twice during the upcoming season for Montreal.

Second, two years ago, Montreal looked like they had set up their team to be successful for quite a few years. I think their offseason moves were a step in the wrong direction, and I see them fighting for 8th in the conference instead of fighting for 1st. That's 5-10 less wins less than we were previously anticipating.

Third, Price was awful last year. Montreal fans turned on him. Not just fans in Montreal, but the ones living elsewhere. I live in Calgary, and there are lots of Montreal fans out here and most of them turned on Price. Why - because he played awful. He didn't look like he was always giving a full effort, and as a result, he was out of position a lot. On nights where the puck was hitting him, he was making highlight reel scrambling saves. These would have been "hit me in the crest" saves for a goalie with better positional play. Anyone that spent a lot of time watching Montreal games last year, saw how poorly his positional play was. For the average fan, they only saw the highlight reel saves, and thought - this guy is a stud.

He might return to his place as one of the top young goalies in the game, but I'm not taking the chance. The fans will be in his head all year and I'm going to make the bold prediction, that during the 2nd half of the season, you will be better off owning Halak than Price.

Huet's old, but he doesn't have the same question marks Price has. If I've got Nabby as my top goalie, someone like Huet seems like the perfect complement for the next year or two.