Thread: Nabokov or Brodeur: Who'd you rather own for the next two years?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Nabokov or Brodeur: Who'd you rather own for the next two years?

I have Nabokov and may move him for Brodeur.

Reason being that Nabby may turn into Toskala next year if he is not re-signed in SJ. It doesn't bode too well for him that SJ was after the monster, so I am really unsure about his future in SJ and am wondering if I should move him now while he is a "sell high" tender.

Brodeur, while older, will probably retire a Devil. He still should have at least 2 elete years left in him, and should rack up 40+ wins, especially with Lemaire back in town.

This is a bit of a lateral move, but I want to spread my roster a little as I have three Sharks. I am in contention and am looking at the better option this season.

Of course, I may be severely undervaluing Nabby and over valuing Marty - Nabby has led our league in goalie pts for two years running and could be in for a monster year (contract year, coming off a bad PO performance, etc) next season. Maybe I should just stand pat.

Who'd you rather have if you were going for it over the next couple of seasons?

Thanks!!!
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Close call really - not sure I would bother with a straight up trade - the age difference would probably stop me from doing it. I suppose if you could convince the Brodeur owner that Nabbie was worth more and could get some kind of kicker in the deal then it is worth considering.

Interesting question, makes you think about goalie futures for these guys.

Dobber Sports Stud

Brodeur hands down. Contract dictates that he will be playing for at least the next 2 years and Lemaire's return means padded stats for Brodeur.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Brodeur as well.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Giant

It's close like Shoeless said, but I like Brodeur here. He'll post great numbers with Lemaire back (not that he didn't when since he left).

Dobber Sports Apprentice

For the next two years I like Brodeur for all the same reasons listed already. However, looking at your current goaltenders you will need to start a replacement plan for Marty soon if you do make the trade.

Administrator

Yeah, it certainly is a close one. If you were losing Nabokov after two years then maybe I'd consider the deal. I'd be looking for some kind of edge, so if as Shoeless suggests you could get some added incentive to make the deal then for sure do it up, but if you can't it's likely a push.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Pro

Next two only it's close. If both players play a full season I'd probably lean towards Marty. I have to wonder if he can manage to play a full slate, though. Once the injury bug hits at that age, it's very difficult to keep it at bay. Marty's value may well be nil at the end of two years.

If you're keeping beyond two, I like Nabby. SJ's attempt at signing the Monster shouldn't scare you away. Nabby still has a few years and SJ's probably looking for their goalie of the future.

SJ is still the king out west and should be able to duplicate a 50+ win season. I expect NJ to drop a few as the Atlantic tightens up.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Banned

flip a coin

The King of Diatribes

Although Nabokov has been a very proficient fantasy goalie, his performance in the Stanley Cup Playoffs exposed some things I've never seen in him before. I also agree that he will have more consistency with his game, plus the Olympics will help to improve his play. We will have to watch and make sure he stays healthy and looks good in training camp.

Nevertheless, Brodeur is primed to have one hell of a fantasy output next two seasons. Coaching change, health and his desire to redeem himself after the shocking loss to Carolina all makes his value more desirable over the next two years. You can only look at Nabokov and say MAYBE he's more valuable next year...but you don't know what will happen after that, especially if they have an early playoff exit.

Brodeur would be my choice!

Dobber Sports All-Star

I think that we are going to see Broduer play a lot less this season; or at least by the standards we are used to with him.

I think that with the injury he suffered AND the fact that he will be one of the goalies for Team Canada, I don't see more than 65 starts for him this season.

Obviously, the same thing will affect Nabakov; so 65 starts is what i peg for him too.

Really, I think it just comes down to personal preference; for me I would go with Nabakov.

just my $.02
    on fantasy hockey hiatus!!!

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think I would also take Nabby due to age and "staying power". Even though he's posted the best numbers the past two seasons, personally I think Brodeur's stats will be better the next 2 years - But overall they'll be close and I'd rather have the guy that's gonna be around longer.............well hopefully Nabby's not a KHL risk and will be around another 5+ years.

Anyways, good luck with your decision.

Cheers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyislife View Post
    I think that we are going to see Broduer play a lot less this season; or at least by the standards we are used to with him.

I think that with the injury he suffered AND the fact that he will be one of the goalies for Team Canada, I don't see more than 65 starts for him this season.

Obviously, the same thing will affect Nabakov; so 65 starts is what i peg for him too.

Really, I think it just comes down to personal preference; for me I would go with Nabakov.

just my $.02
    exactly dude, thats my feeling too...he'll be the same Brodeur we know and love, he may even have a chip and put up even crazier numbers from a GAA and S% perspective...but I think his starts will be down slightly so that they can save him for when they need him, Lemaire is a shrewd coach, he knows very well how valuable Marty is and how valuable he is in the playoffs

Dobber Sports Star

Great responses. Thanks.

Looks like I am pretty much where I started, but am leaning a little towards Brodeur.
    I think I will do as a couple of folks suggested - try to get him to up his offer a little by selling Nabby's age and performance over the last couple of years.

Either way, I can't see making a mistake whichever way I go.

Thanks again!
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue