Thread: Little mistakes...are a big deal

I...am your father.

Default Little mistakes...are a big deal

Don\'t underestimate small mistakes you make. I often preach that every little bit counts.

Here is an example. In my one league, in the last round of the entry draft I had decide on Kontiola or Versteeg. I went with Kontiola, because I always go with the smaller guy and it rarely pans out so this time I decided to go with the bigger guy.

Oops.

So what did that mean? My team still improved. But this is what I think it means:

1) Having Versteeg, especially when he was at 25 points in 25 games, would have brought in a ton of return. Especially from a guy in our pool who has five Chicago guys already.
    2) With those extra players, I would have more to work with for future trades
    3) At the deadline, instead of dropping at the last minute, I would have been much closer to the eighth and final playoff spot and I would have went for it.
    4) I would have made the playoffs and would currently be in third place (instead, my playoff points don\'t count - I didn\'t make the playoffs)

Each little thing stems from one little decision I made.
    B)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

The Magnificent One

very random but interesting.

yeah im in a similar situation now. we are currently drafting and noone is taking goalies. so i took lundqvist, brodeur, kipper, but now some missunderstanding in the rules has come up. we might only be playing 2 goalies as the rules stat but most of us understood the league to be a h2h nightly lineup. as it calls for 25 roster spots but 20 active guys. seems like that might be wrong and we have locked rosters of the 20. only 2 goalies play.. puts me now in a huge hole with having 3 goalies in my top 6 picks.

did it thinking i now have 3 stellar starters and teams will lack goalies and need to come at me with crazy trades. but my plan might have just blown up in my face.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

I...am your father.

I think you\'re still looking good, to be honest - everyone will still come to you for goalie help, and you can blow through the draft without touching goalies again. In November you can really rape someone when they need goaltending help. Probably for more than a player you would have selected otherwise.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

The Magnificent One

Dobber wrote:
    I think you\'re still looking good, to be honest - everyone will still come to you for goalie help, and you can blow through the draft without touching goalies again. In November you can really rape someone when they need goaltending help. Probably for more than a player you would have selected otherwise.
    yeah kinda my thoughts.. but that means i leave kipper on the bench which sucks lol..

i was going to take weber. so yeah tuff choice. i maybe would have taken weber then another goalie next round. but time will tell in this league.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

In my league, we have one counting enforcers where only his PIM counts.

Last year, in my last pick, I had to choose between O\'Brien and Valabik as my second enforcer. I went with Valabik (based on AHL numbers and Dobber\'s prediction).

Well, turns out I own Carcillo and he counted for me. However, others teams in my league were desperate for good enforcers. I guess in that case, I could have more easily traded O\'Brien than Valabik.

Maybe made myself a couple of draft picks.
    QHL Stanley Cup champion 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
    www.thephysicsofhockey.com

Dobber Sports Ninja

Soup or Salad?

I went with the soup and my friend had the garden salad. When our orders came, I laughed at my friends \"healthy\" decision. Then I burned my tongue on the soup and didn\'t enjoy my main course. Little mistake...big deal.:blink:
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Traded Bobby Ryan in all of my leagues - was really missing G at the wing position this year.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Initiate

Ouch, that's rough Angus. May I ask whom you got in return?

I agree with Dobbs original posting, especially when going through the grind of twilight draft picks. Often times people get lazy in the later rounds, and don't really focus on finding the hidden gems. There's always a trend, and most people go for proven talent (like a Mike Comrie-type player) but I've always felt its worth taking a flyer on youngsters who will be given ample ice time (David Backes). Sometimes those gems are the difference between 7th (out of the playoffs) or 1st. For example, I was lucky enough to grab T. Thomas, S. Mason, Wideman and Little in later rounds this past season, and it really gave me flexibility in trade talks. I also had Kipper so I flipped him and Antropov for Rafalski, Dumont and Arnott and in the end came out with a championship. Those attention to detail later draft picks make all the world of difference.
    12 team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (keep 6)
    G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GAA, SV%, SO

2C - Stamkos
    2LW - Benn
    2RW - Laine, Marner
    4D - Josi
    1Util -
    2G - Rask

Administrator

Played Thornton instead of Staal one night during the finals of my league. Staal got a hattrick, I lost the H2H matchup by one goal. FML.

Also dropped Thomas 2 weeks into the season when he was underwhelming.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by BladesOfSteel View Post
    Ouch, that's rough Angus. May I ask whom you got in return?

Ryan for Pyatt was definitely the worst.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    Ryan for Pyatt was definitely the worst.
    Ouch...........
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Master

now this is funny

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Soup or Salad?

I went with the soup and my friend had the garden salad. When our orders came, I laughed at my friends \"healthy\" decision. Then I burned my tongue on the soup and didn\'t enjoy my main course. Little mistake...big deal.:blink: