Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Comish Dynasty Playoff/Draft Update

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Comish Dynasty Playoff/Draft Update

Chinny wrote:
    like i have mentioned the biggest flaw of the 11th and 21st guys getting the winning Tier picks is that this year those guys don\'t move up, they stay in the tier they are in, therefore getting an advantage over the rest of the tier, net year when those guys move up a tier sure it is a great bonus and maybe even needed as you are against a so called better tier
    What do you mean they dont move up? I thought this was to set the tiers???

Dobber Sports Stud

sd1976 wrote:
    Chinny wrote:
    like i have mentioned the biggest flaw of the 11th and 21st guys getting the winning Tier picks is that this year those guys don\'t move up, they stay in the tier they are in, therefore getting an advantage over the rest of the tier, net year when those guys move up a tier sure it is a great bonus and maybe even needed as you are against a so called better tier
    What do you mean they dont move up? I thought this was to set the tiers???
    there was talk to give the 11th and 21st places the draft picks that the rules state (T2 and T3 winners) but in that format the teams move up, since this is year 1 it is just to set the Tiers and so they won\'t move up, giving them an advantage over the rest of the tier, it is just my reasoning against that format for this year.

Dobber Sports Giant

Chicleteur wrote:
    One last thing for you Russ (I\'ve already sent you an email and it\'s not related to the draft), is there a reason why the rules regarding the IR players is different in the last email you sent than what\'s in the \"Rules\" documents you sent on Friday? You said that we have to bring back our IR players at the end of the regular season where in the rules it says end of the playoffs. I know I can only speak for me, but this make a real difference as I can leave Zubov, Kariya and even Miller on IR if they aren\'t going to be useful in the playoffs.
    BTW Russ, did you have time to think about this one?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Sorry, just misunderstood I guess. Personally, I still think the tier winners should get the benefit of the higher picks due to the fact that in season one, everyone was on the same footing after the draft. It\'s probably more important this year, than it will be in any other season due to that fact. Since there is no moving up or down, per say, which would be the benefit of winning the tier in any other year, there should be some sort of bonus for winning your tier in year one. Just my opinion though.

Dobber Sports Ace

But the thing is, you don\'t really win your tier. The places are oriented through the overall standings, so its not just you competing against the other guys in your tier, you are competing against every other single player and either end up in 11th or 21st. I don\'t see why those people should get that much of an advantage over the 10th or 12th, or the 20th or 22nd.

The reason in the original rules that the tier winner got the pick is because that player actually beat out the other 11 just as in a normal 12 person pool and they deserve to win something.
    12 team roto with 6 keepers, G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG, W SV% SHO
    C-Crosby Spezza Connolly
    L-Smyth Rolston Malone Sullivan
    R-Hemsky Ryan Ryder Backes Fleischmann Cleary
    D-Phaneuf Rafalski Whitney Pitkanen
    G-Lundqvist Bryzgalov Theodore Rinne

Dobber Sports Guru

exactly. there were no tiers this year. the idea of a \'tier winner\' this year is completely arbitrary based on flukily finishing in that spot (11 and 21).

this year is just to establish the tiers for next year.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Chicleteur wrote:
    So if there\'s a vote, I still vote for my proposition:

1st - Playoff winner
    2nd - Playoff finalist
    3rd - 30th team
    4th - 29th team
    5th - Regular season winner
    6th to 30th - Worst to best

Okay, Chicleteur\'s version gets the approval by the competition committee (The Comish). It may not be 100%, but it\'s what we are going to go with this year.

It\'s very hard to please 30 rabid hockey poolies, so please bear with me as we work through some of the rules tweaks that come up early in this pool\'s existence.

You said that we have to bring back our IR players at the end of the regular season where in the rules it says end of the playoffs. I know I can only speak for me, but this make a real difference as I can leave Zubov, Kariya and even Miller on IR if they aren\'t going to be useful in the playoffs.
    Chic, I was WRONG on my last email. The rules CLEARLY state that we can keep our IR players until the playoffs are DONE. My apologies for the confusion.

One of you guys (Anonymous) mentioned that you were dropping a player (Modin - I think he was on the IR) in anticipation of the playoffs. I will put that player back on your roster if you wish. Just let me know.

Edit: Modin is back on your team Anonymous!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Giant

Thanks for the update regarding the IR thing Russ. I knew there was something wrong, but just wanted to confirm this with you.

I\'m also glad you (and other guys too) liked my proposition for the draft!

I can\'t wait for the playoffs and than the draft to happen!

Dobber Sports Guru

best. league. ever.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Good convo, and agree with the final decision.

I had seen no problem with the original posting for the draft order, but as the discussion went on, I had not realized nor taken into account that this was the first year and that we were\'nt even divided into tiers yet.

Excellent idea Chic.

It definitely makes more sense this way for the first year.

...if I might add, we are currently dating, and she is quite a handful in the bedroom...

Dobber Sports Initiate

Good work guys getting the draft order in place.To bad Im not getting #1 pick lol. But I could be Happy with the 3rd overall. We will see what happins.
    League - YOUNG STARS DYNASTY LEAGUE
    12 teams

MY TEAM

Kovalchuk/Tavares/Zetterberg
    Michalek/ Thornton /Nash
    E.Cole/ Spezza/ Purcell

Suter/Jack Johnsson
    Del Zotto/ Hedmen

Miller / Hiller

Benched Players

Tanguay/Desharnis/Hemsky
    McDonald/Nyquist /Selanne

Gardiner/ Orlov

Dobber Sports Initiate

When I say Tiers I mean the 10 teams you compete against in Yahoo. Those are the Tier winners I mean. They are legit and there is a mini competition going on there.

Dobber Sports Guru

sd1976 wrote:
    When I say Tiers I mean the 10 teams you compete against in Yahoo. Those are the Tier winners I mean. They are legit and there is a mini competition going on there.
    ahh, i got ya.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

sounds fine, although now I am faced with the decision whether to try to scratch and claw and try to get in the playoffs or to take everyone out of my lineup and tank the season - and that kind of behavior shouldn\'t be rewarded
    Points Only Dynasty League - count top 6 F, top 4 D and top G

F: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Bergeron, R Smith, W Karlsson, Atkinson, Zuccarello, Radulov, Lee, Steel, Milano, Farabee, Batherson, Sprong, Heponiemi

D: Burns, Letang, Carlson ,Yandle, Green, M Matheson, Niko

G: Markstrom, Rinne, Samsonov

Dobber Sports Ninja

pensfan wrote:
    sounds fine, although now I am faced with the decision whether to try to scratch and claw and try to get in the playoffs or to take everyone out of my lineup and tank the season - and that kind of behavior shouldn\'t be rewarded
    Fair enough, but it\'s not like you have a shot at a Tavares or Hedman! Seriously, who will be available after the top 5 or 6 guys? No one who will help immediately for sure.

Just a note, we aren\'t limited at the draft to take only the players that are drafted at the 2009 NHL entry draft. Any player that has previously been drafted or signed by an NHL team and is not on one of our dynasty rosters protected lists is available.

I see slim pickings after the first 5 picks or so...not useless, just slim. My $0.02
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket