Thread: Tough day at the draft

I...am your father.

Default Tough day at the draft

My championship team has been beset by injuries/misc. Jagr, Ryan Whitney, Gonchar, Briere, McDonald, Green, Arnott off and on...I\'m able to trade them for slightly lesser value and when we trade in this league the points to date go with the player.
    Hemsky and Huselius getting hurt this week was the kicker. I mean come on. So I\'ve fallen to fourth and although I managed to hang onto my own pick - plus an extra pick - in the single round midseason draft yesterday...neither pick was great. 7th and 11th.

I also only had one drop (Mike Fisher) because Nigel Dawes suddenly got hot. So here is what happened.

The 1st place team somehow got the top pick so he took Versteeg.
    The 2nd place team somehow got the next two picks so he took Todd White and Eberle.
    Then Weber and Streit went.
    Then Rene Bourque.

So it\'s my pick. Just prior to the draft I trade Dawes for a second-round pick in 2010. So I have my two spots. I can either try and climb out of fourth and draft one of the top four undrafted players with points (Weight, Booth, Guerin and Wideman - and there are no positional requirements so I do not need d-men). Or I can go strictly for playoffs (Vlasic, Wideman, Glencross, Rob Blake - won\'t help me in the season though)
    Or just improve my team.

So I took James Neal.

The following picks are made: Booth, Bowman, Grachev.

I pick next, but I am presented with an offer that I feel I can\'t refuse. I give a 3rd round pick and I get Alex Steen. I want to roll the dice on him so I take the deal and drop Mike Fisher. Now I need to pick and I don\'t have any drops. Well, is the player available better than Kris Letang? I go for it and drop Letang - with the thinking that I could redraft him if I\'m so inclined (I have Goli and Whitney - roster in my sig).

I take Oscar Osala.

Later picks are Wideman, Raymond and J. Andersson (DET).

That\'s our one-round draft.

I went in basically giving up on the season (but still hope to place and get some money) and I wanted to load up on playoff guys. Instead, I get no playoff guys and I actually get rid of two of them. My team improved...but it didn\'t work out like I had hoped.

Summary:
    Acquired: Osala, Neal, Steen, 2nd
    Gave/Drop: Letang, Fisher, Dawes, 3rd

Failed trade attempts:
    Tried to trade Tkachuk for Samsonov to the guy in 5th.
    Tried to trade Brown, Huselius, 1st and 2nd for Hudler.
    Someone offered me J. Staal, Franzen for O\'Sullivan and Brown (this would REALLY help my playoffs). I asked for two mediocre to late draft picks and he declined.

Anyway, thought I\'d share!

B)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Expert

I can\'t see this topic, is that a database error? I can only see the reply buttons and stuff. When I click reply, I can see the post quoted below.

Super Moderator

Yeah RT is right, you can\'t see the post until you hit reply.

I don\'t see how you can go wrong with James Neal. The kid\'s a goal scorer and he\'s got plenty of playmakers over there. And maybe they can turn it around and make the playoffs but I wouldn\'t count on it but you knew that going in.

Also, how the hell can the 1st place team get the first pick? Sucks.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

I...am your father.

test

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Expert

now i can see the post, but i can\'t see my first one or smack\'s unless I use the reply button.

Dobber Sports Pro

http://www.dobberhockey.com/componen...,22/id,225291/

Dobber\'s moved this to the Dobber\'s Take forum, but hasn\'t switched the link in the ramblings ... or something ...
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Pro

The link in the ramblings still goes to the Keeper Advice forum, while the thread has been moved from there, hence the confusion - I guess.
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

I...am your father.

smack1919 wrote
    Yeah RT is right, you can\'t see the post until you hit reply.

I don\'t see how you can go wrong with James Neal. The kid\'s a goal scorer and he\'s got plenty of playmakers over there. And maybe they can turn it around and make the playoffs but I wouldn\'t count on it but you knew that going in.

Also, how the hell can the 1st place team get the first pick? Sucks.
    Link fixed - sorry, I didn\'t know that.

It was a garbage deal getting that first pick. Basically, it (i.e. the first pick of the midseason draft) was offered to me along with Matt Stajan for my Nikita Filatov. I balked...but then started to think about it. But within 24 hours, the guy in first took the package and gave up Turris, Bailey and a draft pick.

I...am your father.

Further to this - the last deal that the guy declined (Franzen/Staal etc) - he wrote me today and accepted.