Thread: Give Up Forward Points to Gain Defence Points? Strategy/Opinion Needed - REP Given!

Dobber Sports Pro

Question Give Up Forward Points to Gain Defence Points? Strategy/Opinion Needed - REP Given!

For the second team in my sig, I'm a bit torn on how hard to push in my quest to gain D depth. I'm quite happy with my team and am one of the top few teams in the league, but I feel like I'm benching some forwards too often. There are NO decent D on the waiver wire, so it looks like I'll need to trade. At the same time, I find it hard to justify trading away a 60 point forward for a 40 point D-man, even if I do have to sit him once in a while. Thoughts? We start 4 L, 4 C, 4 R, 6 D. Thanks for your advice!
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Give Up Forward Points to Gain Defence Points? Strategy/Opinion Needed - REP Given!

The best way that I look at this is not by total points but by points above replacement.

Take a look at the forward that you are considering trading and who the best comparable forward is that is on free agency.

Then take a look at the D man you would be getting and who the best comparable defenseman is that is on free agency.

See where the value lies.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Give Up Forward Points to Gain Defence Points? Strategy/Opinion Needed - REP Given!

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    The best way that I look at this is not by total points but by points above replacement.

Take a look at the forward that you are considering trading and who the best comparable forward is that is on free agency.

Then take a look at the D man you would be getting and who the best comparable defenseman is that is on free agency.

See where the value lies.
    Great point! I knew I was missing something when I was trying to convince myself.
    G - Skinner

F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Value above replacement is a big deal, and replacement is based on league size and starting requirements. How many do you start?

Over the lass two years, there are about the following quantities:

70 forwards at a 60 point pace for the year
    30 defenders at a 40 point pace for the year

The reason I used pace is so that we don't lose guys who are a few points short of the total, but missed a few games and apce would've gotten them there.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Value above replacement is a big deal, and replacement is based on league size and starting requirements. How many do you start?

Over the lass two years, there are about the following quantities:

70 forwards at a 60 point pace for the year
    30 defenders at a 40 point pace for the year

The reason I used pace is so that we don't lose guys who are a few points short of the total, but missed a few games and apce would've gotten them there.
    This helps too! Thanks very much.
    G - Skinner

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Svbetts View Post
    This helps too! Thanks very much.
    Glad to help. For analysis like this, www.hockey-reference.com is your friend
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Jedi

you've been given really good tips already. I can only add, that it's easy to justify moving 60pt forward for a 40pt dman when you say that he's wasting on your bench and you're unable to play him. That 60pt forward is only valuable to you if he gets an active spot
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Thanks guys! You gave me the push I needed. I just turned Johansen and a 2nd into Krug and a 4th. It feels better to have a little D depth now. Hard to get in this league, and Johansen was good but no dual eligibility and I have loads of other good C.
    G - Skinner