Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to rebuild a team ?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default How to rebuild a team ?

I just recently picked up a seriously bad team in a keeper league (point only) and this is my first keeper league and I was wondering how I should approach my rebuilding . The league is 30 players per team 13 teams and we keep 25 each year (unless we traded for more pick) . Lots of my players are either old or bad and I know I'm in for long rebuilding , should I aim for lot of choice or take a different approach ?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: How to rebuild a team ?

If you post your team, settings, and any prospects/picks you own, we would probably be able to help you shape a nice little rebuilding plan, and possibly even get into some targets for you to look into during the offseason.

In the meantime, target the contenders, and look to see if you can find some homes for older guys like Zetterberg, Koivu, etc (just tossing out some names since we don't know who you actually have). Stockpiling picks and prospects is never a bad idea, but don't look too far out. I would say the best course of action is to look to next year as a retooling year, with the goal of being competitive in 2019-2020. Anything you can get done this season is gravy.

And welcome to the forums!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Definitely need to see your team. Vets can be traded to contenders for prospects or picks. Stars could also be used for a very attractive package but your better off being patient and developing through other trades and drafts. Watch out for vultures being a new owner. Know your players stats as they relate to your league. I love this part of fantasy, the wheeling and dealing! Good luck!

Dobber Sports Rookie

My team looks like this

Well it's not that "old" but I have some dead weight around

I know I need a good cleanup on the Goalie and defense side . I currently got 6 pick (1 first , 2 second , 2 third , 1 fourth) and I'm currently sitting 10th at 32 point from the last but they all made their big move , I guess getting last spot and first pick should be easy enough . I would like to try and target dahlin but I don't want to do it at all cost .

12 best forward , 6 best def , 2 best goalie count toward the score . Others are just depth . Goal and pass are 1 point / 3 point hat trick /1 point winning goal / 2 point def goal / goalie is 2 p per win +2 if shut-out

Forward

Kopitar
    Radulov
    Landeskog
    Schwartz
    Reilly Smith
    Toews
    Jordan Staal
    Jeff Skinner
    Nazem Kadri
    Drouin
    Dubois
    Domi
    Palmieri
    Beauvillier
    Bjork
    Boedker
    Nolan Patrick

Defence

Sergachev
    Butcher
    Morrissey
    Shultz
    Brett Pesce
    travis Hamonic
    Nathan Beaulieu

Goalie

Ryan Miller
    Lethonen
    Rinne
    Samsonov
    Saros
    Darling

Dobber Sports Titan

Doesn't look half bad. Definitely need a stud on D and a Goalie or two. Ristolainen might be a decent target to buy lower, Letang could be solid in your setup, as he would only count if he's healthy enough anyways (and could be had cheeper due to the health risk).

I would look to move Palmieri, Kopitar, and maybe sell high on Schwartz. Also try shopping Rinne and see if you can get someone younger for him. Maybe a Martin Jones/ John Gibson type.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Rookie

Def are pretty hard to deal for because of the setup , almost everyone need some and price are unreasonable and rarely get traded . Risto belongs to one of the contender who won't trade him to anything but another def I tought of Butcher maybe ? he would get more point immediately . In term of def I got someone willing to trade mcdonagh/Girard but the whole trade is actually Kopitar/Staal/Petry/my 4 pick/Toews for Arvidsson/Mcdonagh/girard/his 1 pick (end round)and it's just being talked about not a clear offer yet . Hamilton/hedman/letang/parayko are open to trade but the owner is a pain in the *** to deal with and ask ridiculous price and I don't know what to offer .

I also just got someone set to aquire Sergachev offering either 2 first pick + seabrook or 3 second pick + seabrook for sergachev only . Not sure if he will back down but since I just joined and don't know what awaits in term of def in the draft I'm not sure if I will end up with a better def Squad .

The race for the win is between 3 people and in term of goalie only price is "available" , a trade could be possible as he is looking for points and got the third pick overall to trade . Rinne + kopitar = Price + first pick (3rd ov)maybe ?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Your team really isn't that bad but lacks star power. You have some good futures in net and on the back end but you lack the depth up front. Of your team the ones I highlighted below are who I would keep moving forward

Kopitar
    Radulov
    Landeskog
    Schwartz
    Reilly Smith
    Toews
    Jordan Staal
    Jeff Skinner
    Nazem Kadri
    Drouin
    Dubois
    Domi
    Palmieri
    Beauvillier
    Bjork
    Boedker
    Nolan Patrick

Defence

Sergachev
    Butcher
    Morrissey

Shultz
    Brett Pesce
    travis Hamonic
    Nathan Beaulieu

Goalie

Ryan Miller
    Lethonen
    Rinne
    Samsonov
    Saros
    Darling

Your top trade assets are Rinne, Schwartz, Kopitar and Radulov.
    I would try and move all of them right now as they are all having relatively good seasons. Schwartz and Rinne should be top priority. Radulov before the end of next season and Kopitar as well. Both should command sizeable young assets in return. Try to sure up the 1st overall pick going into next year and draft Dahlin. Guy will be a stud.

Players for trade targets: Risto, Barzal, Marner and anybody decent below age 23 haha.

As far as players in the draft you can snag for cheap which will bring back good returns: Bellows will be a complete stud. I would draft him relatively high and hang onto him. He will have opportunity and be in the NHL next year. Dahlin will be very good as well. I would try and draft Cale Makar as well to round out your back end. Shea Theodore and Sam Girard might be worthy trade targets going forward too.

Where it's points only Kadri is worth hanging onto but I would take a wait and see approach. If someone wants him bad, move him. Same goes for Palmari and Domi.

Drouin, Bodker, Hamonic and Beaulieu are all duds in a points only league. If anybody wants to trade you for them, take it and run to the bank. Drouin could have value and people rave about his upside but he has less than 40 career goals and played on a top 5 team in the league and was given plenty of opportunity. Guy is a dud!
    14 team head to head, 7 keepers
    G, A, PPP, HITS, PIM, +/-, GWG, W, L, SO, SV%
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2 Utility, 2G, 4 bench, 1IR+
    F - Matthews, Marner, McDavid, Debrincat, Thomas, Jeannot, Vilardi, Zegras, Guentzel, Zibanejad
    D - Dahlin, Bouchard, Lauzon, Durzi,. Chychrun
    G - Samsonov, Gustavsson, Askarov

16 team head to head, 15 keepers
    G, A, PPP, SOG, Hit, Block, W, GAA, SV, SV%
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 1F, 4D, 1 Utility, 2G
    F - McDavid, Tavares, Kucherov, Meier, Duchene, Foerster P. Kane, Pastrnak, R. Smith, Forsberg, Poitras, W. Johnston

D - Josi, Reilly, Faber, Matheson, Nemec,
    G - Vasilevskiy, Merzlikins, Vladar, Cossa

Dobber Sports Master

I would actually advocate keeping Schwartz, who is only 25.

Trade Radulov, Toews, Palmieri and I would actually advocate trading Drouin. Cash-in on the draft status and name value to land a player with similar upside who may be out of the spotlight. While Drouin may have excellent upside, it will be very hard for him to make it in Montreal. You may be stuck with Schultz, but I would try and move him for a stud D prospect if you can. Given that you have the handcuff in Saros, unless you can trade Rinne for anything of value, keep him. The tandem should get you a lot of wins. You could also try and net a huge return (and I mean huge) if you move the tandem for some serious name power up front.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Rookie

What do you guy's think about Kopitar/Rinne VS Price/1 pick (currently 3th overall) ? It could fill a need in goalie and first pick could help rebuild

Just asking cause price owner is kinda desperate for point right now

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Kenricht View Post
    What do you guy's think about Kopitar/Rinne VS Price/1 pick (currently 3th overall) ? It could fill a need in goalie and first pick could help rebuild

Just asking cause price owner is kinda desperate for point right now
    I think you should be able to do a bit better than that. Guys like Kopitar don't grow on trees - and third overall, heck, it could be a number of years before that player is producing for you. And it carries risk; crap - just look at Drouin this year. He was a 3rd overall pick. And Price is on Montreal - and you only get points for wins and shut outs. I might trade Rinne for Price on the age thing, but I wouldn't trade Kopitar for 3rd overall. What other pieces does he have?

And don't trade Sergachev for draft picks....

Dobber Sports Rookie

Well he pretty much did all his move , no pick left except for the one I mentionned and a few 5th pick . No def either he got the minumum he does have player like hornqvist/stepan/henrique on the bottom of his top 12 witch he want to upgrade in term of point , he also mentionned he is ready to let go of Mathews for a bomb offer .

The Great One

Don't take on his junk. If you are gonna help him win now, you need to be getting a solid return on your investment.

Ask him what he wants for Matthews. Start there...

Dobber Sports Rookie

well he want a chunk of point basically , I already asked and he got interest for Kopitar/rinne/toews/landeskog

Dobber Sports Jedi

I would do kopitar & rinne for Price #1 - I almost think you should be able to get another piece (solid prospect) added to this coming back. Price hasn't been good for a calendar year now.

Beauvillier should be on your keep list as should Schultz and Kadri, Palmeiri, Drouin, Staal should be holds... meaning - do not not rush to move them. they all have some trade value, hold out for the right deal.

Drouin is one that in your format might be best to keep into next season, crap year be-damned.

when taking over a team... patience in making moves is key. The rest of the league understand player values better than you do. Don't get over-zealous making a splash to make a name in the pool. It's like playing poker, play tight.. when you get in a hand, they'll think you're hand is bigger than it is.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Rookie

The only prospect left on his lineup is pavel Zacha , he already traded all the others and went all-in for this year