Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Should women play best of 5 sets in tennis majors?

Administrator

Default Re: Should women play best of 5 sets in tennis majors?

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    1.Golf
    Isn't there also no contact in women's hockey?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

The height of the volleyball net is higher for men versus women.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Isn't there also no contact in women's hockey?
    That correct as well
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Star

Well it seems as if there are more differences between men and women sports than I may have initially realized. In shot put, men also use a shot which is almost twice as heavy as the shot women use. Maybe, it’s just me. I have been a tennis fan for a long time and the fact that women have always only played best of 3s is something that has always bothered me. Something for me to consider, anyway. Thanks all for your input.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Prodigy

They should play best of seven

Dobber Sports Titan

Women use a different size basketball, different size softball.

In coed rec leagues for soccer i know you need at least X number of girls on the field at all times (like min of 3), kinda making the assumption all men are better than girls so it's an advantage if you have 0 girls on the field.

No contact in lacrosse for women (rule thats been in place for like 124yrs)

No 4-women bobsleigh, its just 2. Pretty sure it's because the thought originally was they couldn't push a 4man sled
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ok, fine, best of nine.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I've never understood why women only play 3 sets.
    They should definitely play 5.

I've also never understood the animosity launched at Djokovic a couple years ago for suggesting men deserve to be paid more. He really got slammed for what many (including me) felt was a very reasonable opinion.

The evidence and the basis (and I assume Djokovic's basis too) for my opinion here :

"The men's tour was watched by a total global TV audience of 973 million, including 102 million for the year-end finale at the O2, while the women's tour attracted 395 million viewers, including 32 million for the finale in Singapore."
    source: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/t...-a6945016.html
    NOTE: (these are 2015 figures, I couldn't find yearly stats like that for 2016 or 2017 - so please do post them if you find them. I can't imagine they would have changed enough in 2 years to overtake that wide of a disparity, but i guess it's possible...)

Also, in 2017 Wimbledon, a ticket for Centre Court on ladies' final day were 155 and were 190 on men's final day.
    source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/39111...-queue-finals/

So... the Men play longer matches, consumers pay more for tickets to watch them, and the men have a larger tv audience... but they shouldn't be paid more than women players ?
    Well, all things considered, I think they should.

Let's also not overlook the exposure players like Roger Federer bring/brought to the game over the years. The sport as a whole has grown immensely because of players like him, and players like Samprass and Agassi before him. And McEnroe and Connors before them.
    Players like Steffi and Martina contributed plenty in that regard too, for sure, but I don't believe to the same degree as the men did.

And lastly, politically incorrect as it may be to say this... the men's game is simply more entertaining. I suspect that's why the ticket prices are higher - I mean, would it make sense for the ticket prices to be higher for an inferior product?
    It's faster, the players are stronger, there's more net play and volleying, more strategy etc. etc.

Anyway, I do hope to at least see 5 setters in the future for all tennis matches, not just the men.
    It's definitely a controversial topic. Looking over Nielsen ratings over the last 20 years for tennis, Men's tennis still tends to draw more, but there have been MANY times where women matches out draw the men, including huge finals. It's definitely closer than many think.

Part of the women appeal, is sex. I know that several years ago when women tennis was on the rise, the WTA suggested asking the women players to wear skimpier outfits, and they were slammed pretty hard for it. If the women want to wear something skimpy, they should, but they shouldn't be asked to by the association to sell tickets.

Also, I think Djokovic was also partly slammed that particular time, because it was an awkward interview. He did make a comment suggesting that women also "have to deal with their hormones and all kinds of different stuff", which many thought was a little offside.

All 4 of the tennis majors pay women and men the same payouts, and have for some time now. I also would prefer to see the women play the best of 5 sets. If that was the case, it would certainly be harder to make the case that men deserve to be paid more.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Superstar

They should clearly play the same number of sets in my opinion. If the men continue to play 5 then the women should as well. If 5 is the right number of sets to balance out skill, endurance and keep fan interest for men then it should be for women as well.

I assume the distinction is based upon history and a belief that women could not handle the "rigour" of playing 5 sets?

I do not follow a lot of Tennis but I do follow Athletics (Track & Field) which has a similar history of restricting women to certain events. Up until 1972 women did not run anything over 800m in the Olympics and only recently have they added women's pole vault and steeplechase to the Olympics and World Championship. The multi-events are still segregated by gender with the men competing in the decathlon and the women in the heptathlon (7 events). The Hep was picked because of a combination of reducing the events and a belief that women could not pole vault.

Anyways, back on topic, play the same number of sets, and pay the players based off a formula that focuses on TV revenue and ticket revenue (similar to the NHL's HRR).
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR