Thread: How do you hang onto fantasy hockey long term?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default How do you hang onto fantasy hockey long term?

Hello guys!

Bit of a bummer for me in my hockey leagues, as I'm slowly drifting away from the 1st spot in both my keeper and one year league. It's only been a few years that I've jumped into a couple of fantasy leagues, hoping to snag the title away eventually. For those who have been into fantasy hockey longer than me (2+ years), how to you maintain your commitment to hockey leagues? Do you take breaks?

Seeing as luck and "skill/knowledge" weight probably equally in crowning a GM at the year's end, how do you stay motivated in your fantasy hockey leagues?
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: How do you hang onto fantasy hockey long term?

Quote Originally Posted by cheese_cake View Post
    Hello guys!

Bit of a bummer for me in my hockey leagues, as I'm slowly drifting away from the 1st spot in both my keeper and one year league. It's only been a few years that I've jumped into a couple of fantasy leagues, hoping to snag the title away eventually. For those who have been into fantasy hockey longer than me (2+ years), how to you maintain your commitment to hockey leagues? Do you take breaks?

Seeing as luck and "skill/knowledge" weight probably equally in crowning a GM at the year's end, how do you stay motivated in your fantasy hockey leagues?
    I keep adding more.. It used to be 2.. now I'm up to 5 and based on all the threads I've noticed this year about available players on the WW in 1 year leagues. it will likely be 6 or 7 next year.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

You're supposed to do it because you enjoy it. Of course sometimes you feel jaded and when that happens you can pre-set your lineup for a week or two and come back to it later. But if it truly isn't enjoyable just walk away from one league or all of them. You get to create the reality that is your life.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Of course I enjoy it! But I believe the motivation to manage a fantasy team could be quantified as a 9 out of 10........ and then drop to 2-3 from time to time.
    I was curious to know if others related and dealt with that feeling from time to time and what was their experience of that
    G Shesterkin Samsonov

Dobber Sports Wizard

I play in 3 leagues. When I'm happy about my team in my primary league, I move on the one of the other leagues and try to make improvements there. It might be trades or it might be free agents but I'm going through each league trying to find ways to improve my team. By the time I'm happy with those two teams, there's usually work to be done for the team in my primary league. So basically I shift my focus from one team to another to keep things interesting.

Prospects are really the thing that keep leagues interesting to me. I doubt I could even play in a league without a farm system anymore. I spend a lot of time looking for sleeper prospects I could add, and I also spend a lot of time preparing for the prospect drafts. When I'm doing that, I might also find some trade targets if some of the players are already owned.

Salary cap is another thing that keeps things interesting - you always have upcoming free agents on your roster, so you need to figure out if you can keep them or if you should trade them.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If your enjoyment is only tied to your success (you mention that you're drifting away from 1st place), then you're not going to be in it for long.

Myself, I've been enjoying fantasy hockey - as much or more so than real hockey - since I was a teenager. I'll be 35 this year (holy shit... ) and have left behind the one year leagues in favour of dynasty leagues. My signature league is filled with friends, so much so that we actually have a yearly BBQ for the trophy presentation and everything.

If you're finding you're not liking it anymore, you need to figure out why. If it's simply cause you're no longer running away with 1st place, then it may not be the long term hobby for you.

Either way, best of luck sorting things out!

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko

Dobber Sports Titan

I have about 12 leagues going this year, and I would say at any given time my focus on any individual league varies between 50-100%. In more active leagues, I'll end up closer to the 100% it requires, but in some others I coast along for a week or two, and then end up spending a little more time on that team for a day or two to tune it up a bit. I think for me it works having a few leagues to jump between, that there's always something interesting going on. I'm only in one paid league too, so that's not really where the motivation is.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by cheese_cake View Post
    Of course I enjoy it! But I believe the motivation to manage a fantasy team could be quantified as a 9 out of 10........ and then drop to 2-3 from time to time.
    I was curious to know if others related and dealt with that feeling from time to time and what was their experience of that
    H2H is easy for that my friend. Just treat every week as a new challenge. I use Sundays to scout my lineup and schedule for the next week; target guys I want. Make the moves Monday (assuming I have a couple of weekly flyer players) and then adjust as the week goes. I'll also look into what my opponent's strengths are and try to adjust accordingly.

I never find myself getting bored with it because every week is a new matchup.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I play in 3 leagues. When I'm happy about my team in my primary league, I move on the one of the other leagues and try to make improvements there. It might be trades or it might be free agents but I'm going through each league trying to find ways to improve my team. By the time I'm happy with those two teams, there's usually work to be done for the team in my primary league. So basically I shift my focus from one team to another to keep things interesting.

Prospects are really the thing that keep leagues interesting to me. I doubt I could even play in a league without a farm system anymore. I spend a lot of time looking for sleeper prospects I could add, and I also spend a lot of time preparing for the prospect drafts. When I'm doing that, I might also find some trade targets if some of the players are already owned.

Salary cap is another thing that keeps things interesting - you always have upcoming free agents on your roster, so you need to figure out if you can keep them or if you should trade them.
    I am not involved in those leagues yet, and I must say I'm eager to try. I think the scouting part is what I like the most even though it has close to no impact in my keeper league because it is too shallow. I definitely feel it could be something worth trying

Obviously I am aware winning can't be the sole reason to do fantasy hockey; however my only keeper league at the moment is shallow enough to be contending every year and lately I think I put into my mind that I could win if I spent enough time on it. Scouting though is something I feel I could do all the time, and maybe its the one of the solutions I should be exploring
    G Shesterkin Samsonov