Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guentzel = Trash

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Guentzel = Trash

Probably a big mistake of mine to pick him up when I got Benn, and moved Kuzy/Monahan. I have used him for 12 games, he has 2 fantasy pts. I have benched him for 3 games, and he had a pp goal in 1 of them. All the big boys for Pitt hog the pp time, they get 5-6+ minutes tonight, Guentzel gets just over 2, and he's buried on the 3rd line until Pitt gets healthy.

Just to further outline his lack of usefulness, he is on pace for 41 pts.

In Oct, Dec, Jan, he has 6 goals, 8 assists in 35 games.

In his 1 good month, he had 10 pts (8 goals) in 13 games, and shot 27.6%.

In the other 3 months, his average shooting % = 7.2.

I would seriously drop him, if it wasn't for the fact I grabbed him in a trade/he's supposed to have high upside, but this year seems like a write-off. He may not even get to 40 pts at this rate. He gets more pk time now, yet when Pitt was protecting the lead at end of game, and had some powerplays, he wasn't even on the 2nd pp unit. They were rolling with 2 d on each unit, so Hornqvist went to 2nd unit, and they had checkers out there. I should have just kept Thornton and rode his hot streak, I had him for his 3 pt night, then dropped him and he had goals in 3 games in a row after that.

On my overall roster, Boeser had been slumping before bye week, Guentzel doing nothing, Zuc cold, and even Perry (a bench guy). Dubois is in my rookie slot, and I had him active for a couple of games and he did nothing. I need Horvat back, but even then I'll still have 1 weak spot in my lineup, because it's #2 centre and skater slot that are weak. #2 lw has been mediocre too, but Patches has shown signs of waking up lately.

Might need to shake it up via trade soon. My team is still in contention though, I'm in 6th in FP/G (2.26), and ahead of me, it's 2.28, 2.33, 2.37, 2.39, 2.47, and Top 4 place in the money.

I guess my steady eddy guys (Hall, Wheeler, Benn, Subban, Rask) are keeping me afloat. Sorry, just needed to rambled a little and let out my frustration!
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    Goalie points: A (2), G (10), SHO (4), W (5), OL + ShL (2)
    Keepers: Kaprisov (4 yr), Svechnikov (3 yr), Point (2 yr), P Kane (1 yr)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    Bench: Trocheck, Rakell, Wedgewood, Francouz
    Rookie: Kochetkov
    IR:

Max GP: C (164), LW (164), RW (164), D (164), Skt (82), Goalie (82)
    1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    14 teams (4 keepers/team + can carry 1 rookie over)
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Guentzel = Trash

Drop him for whoever is on a roll.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Drop him for whoever is on a roll.
    The free agent market is crap, and I just can't justify dropping a guy I picked up in a trade. He can just go back to the bench, lol. I don't doubt his talent.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Sage

Sophomore slump. It's a thing.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Yup, just unfortunate. They mess around with his usage too much, he should be in the Top 6, and get more powerplay usage. It's just always the same thing, Malkin, Crosby, Kessel, Hornqvist, Letang. They go on for 3/4 of the pp it seems, and Guentzel get's the scraps with weak linemates.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by LeafsFan1967 View Post
    Yup, just unfortunate. They mess around with his usage too much, he should be in the Top 6, and get more powerplay usage. It's just always the same thing, Malkin, Crosby, Kessel, Hornqvist, Letang. They go on for 3/4 of the pp it seems, and Guentzel get's the scraps with weak linemates.
    The Pens are probably going to make some deals so lets see what happens.

Dobber Sports Pro

The Pens are probably going to make some deals so lets see what happens.
    Let's hope so. Don't see why they bury one of their most talented forwards! I mean I get the injuries bit, but surely they can find a better solution.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by LeafsFan1967 View Post
    Let's hope so. Don't see why they bury one of their most talented forwards! I mean I get the injuries bit, but surely they can find a better solution.
    I'd just like to ask why Guentzel should get PP time over any of these guys: Malkin, Crosby, Kessel, Hornqvist, Letang? Malkin, Crosby, Kessel are all better than Guentzel now... Hornqvist is the net front guy - Guentzel wouldn't be nearly as good in that role; and well Letang is the sole D man on that PP - and I'd also say that Letang is better than Guentzel now also - especially in the PP QB D-man role.

I've always thought that Guentzel was talented, however, I've also always thought that his value was tied to playing with Crosby in the top 6. If watching the Pens last year told you anything it was that this coveted spot next to Sid was always fluid... I mean Guentzel was there, then Sheary, then someone else. It's not like this guy had the role and lost it. He's never truly had it. Draft accordingly. That's the risk v. reward upside. I'm sure he'll be back up with Sid at some point this year, but until then you have to wait. He was always a talented player with a questionable lineup position which would lead to very streaky numbers based on his position in the line up.

I also don't see this changing in Pitt at least this year... and then if they bring in a guy via trade like people are saying what then. Young guy, lots of talent, but it's going to be a waiting game like so many of these guys.

Dobber Sports Jedi

hold and bench for the ROS.. you'll be glad you held onto him next year... just ask Dylan Larkin owners
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    hold and bench for the ROS.. you'll be glad you held onto him next year... just ask Dylan Larkin owners
    Agree 100% with this in keeper leagues, long term potential > this season output

Dobber Sports Stud

Hot garbage

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by FFleming5 View Post
    I'd just like to ask why Guentzel should get PP time over any of these guys: Malkin, Crosby, Kessel, Hornqvist, Letang? Malkin, Crosby, Kessel are all better than Guentzel now... Hornqvist is the net front guy - Guentzel wouldn't be nearly as good in that role; and well Letang is the sole D man on that PP - and I'd also say that Letang is better than Guentzel now also - especially in the PP QB D-man role.

I've always thought that Guentzel was talented, however, I've also always thought that his value was tied to playing with Crosby in the top 6. If watching the Pens last year told you anything it was that this coveted spot next to Sid was always fluid... I mean Guentzel was there, then Sheary, then someone else. It's not like this guy had the role and lost it. He's never truly had it. Draft accordingly. That's the risk v. reward upside. I'm sure he'll be back up with Sid at some point this year, but until then you have to wait. He was always a talented player with a questionable lineup position which would lead to very streaky numbers based on his position in the line up.

I also don't see this changing in Pitt at least this year... and then if they bring in a guy via trade like people are saying what then. Young guy, lots of talent, but it's going to be a waiting game like so many of these guys.
    I'm not saying he deserves it over Malkin, Crosby, Kessel or Letang. I get Hornqvist is the net front guy, but they could tinker with their pp. Guentzel must have had pp 1 time at the end of last year/in the playoffs, I don't see all his production being even strength.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    He is on my bench, and no one seems to look into my format. It says clearly it's a keep 4 + carry rookie over, and I've already got 4 contracts, so Guentzel is likely to be dropped. My best hope is he heats up, and I trade him, or if I end up dropping him, I just re-draft him next year. I've also mentioned in various other threads about my league, and stated about how the keeper setup works.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by FFleming5 View Post
    Agree 100% with this in keeper leagues, long term potential > this season output
    See response to lucafen above. I don't doubt he has long-term potential though.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Pro

I agree. Also I agree with most of what was said above. Especially that he is not used on the #1 PP but to me that Pens power play is more dangerous with Guentz on it than Horny

I'll add though that he is kind of playing out of position as the 3rd line C. Sure he has Kessel on the wing but you can see he is uncomfortable in his own zone and with the different style a C brings (like Drouin)
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league