Thread: salary cap projections?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default salary cap projections?

Can we start a new thread to discuss salary cap projections for current RFA / UFAs?

To start with a few off my roster guys:
    • Elias Lindholm - 3-4 mil 2 year bridge deal
    • Oliver Bjorkstrand - same as Lindholm
    • Evander Kane - 6-7 mil 1 mil deal
    • Nick Ritchie - no clue. 2-3 mil bridge?
    • Darnell Nurse - I think he gets paid now. longer term at 5 million?

Anyone have any better insights to these guys?
    16 Team H2H | Keeper with Salary Cap (81.5 mil, cap hit)
    6F | 4D | 1 UTIL | 1 G | 7 bench

G A SOG PPA PPG PIM HIT BLK
    W SA SV%

F: Barkov, Lindholm, Evander Kane, Marchessault, Horvat, Bjorkstrand, Toffoli, Beauvillier, Hagel, Jost, Jaskin
    D: Petry, Muzzin, Morrissey, Zadorov, Walker, Lyubushkin
    G: Binnington, Husso

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: salary cap projections?

I have actually been getting on to this topic on my own time, and starting to cover some of my thoughts in my articles over the last two weeks (plus another one out tomorrow). You can find those through the link in my signature.

Kane is covered in the articles, so here's projections on the rest from my prediction model (still a big work in progress):

Nurse - $4,120,753 x 4yrs
    Bjorkstrand - $3,141,824 x 3yrs
    Ritchie - $2,645,243 x 3yrs
    Lindholm - $4,396,003 x 4yrs

So all similar range. I would expect $4M to be the minimum for Nurse, and Lindholm I see locking in a longer term deal after already having done the bridge deal. I would bump his projection up to $4.75 x 5yrs.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yeah, those articles were awesome, somehow missed them the first time, thanks. I love the idea of building a projection model for this.

Those weren't too far off my wild guesses at least.

Will look forward to more of those articles.
    16 Team H2H | Keeper with Salary Cap (81.5 mil, cap hit)
    6F | 4D | 1 UTIL | 1 G | 7 bench

G A SOG PPA PPG PIM HIT BLK
    W SA SV%

F: Barkov, Lindholm, Evander Kane, Marchessault, Horvat, Bjorkstrand, Toffoli, Beauvillier, Hagel, Jost, Jaskin
    D: Petry, Muzzin, Morrissey, Zadorov, Walker, Lyubushkin
    G: Binnington, Husso

Dobber Sports Titan

No problem. Looking into the bridge deal model in tomorrows, so that's probably the most relevant.

As far as the accuracy, it's not an easy thing to build. Constantly updating, and needs a lot more hours, but it's a nice skeleton for now.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Titan

Scratch that initial on Lindholm. Messed up the input for him. Projected for an eight year contract, almost dead on 5M a year.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I have actually been getting on to this topic on my own time, and starting to cover some of my thoughts in my articles over the last two weeks (plus another one out tomorrow). You can find those through the link in my signature.

Kane is covered in the articles, so here's projections on the rest from my prediction model (still a big work in progress):

Nurse - $4,120,753 x 4yrs
    Bjorkstrand - $3,141,824 x 3yrs
    Ritchie - $2,645,243 x 3yrs
    Lindholm - $4,396,003 x 4yrs

So all similar range. I would expect $4M to be the minimum for Nurse, and Lindholm I see locking in a longer term deal after already having done the bridge deal. I would bump his projection up to $4.75 x 5yrs.
    Absolutely loved those articles (the 3rd one is open on my browser but haven't read it yet) but a 4 year deal wouldn't make much sense for the Oilers with Nurse as it would take him straight to UFA. Maybe that's something you can add to your prediction model?

Dobber Sports Pro

I really enjoy reading these articles - terrific work. But, I can't see any GM (whose initials are not PC) giving Kane a $7.7M x 8-year deal. We all know, right here and now, that this deal would be a terrible anchor for any team. Hoping that Treliving reads this...

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Absolutely loved those articles (the 3rd one is open on my browser but haven't read it yet) but a 4 year deal wouldn't make much sense for the Oilers with Nurse as it would take him straight to UFA. Maybe that's something you can add to your prediction model?
    Yeah, I haven't gotten to the point of being that nitpicky with my predictions yet. At this point, if I'm within a year, I'm happy.

You are right though, they are likely to either go three years, or long term. Long term probably being the prefered option for the Oil.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    I really enjoy reading these articles - terrific work. But, I can't see any GM (whose initials are not PC) giving Kane a $7.7M x 8-year deal. We all know, right here and now, that this deal would be a terrible anchor for any team. Hoping that Treliving reads this...
    I agree, and not having the article in front of me, I don't remember exactly what I said about it. However, the gist of this prediction, is saying that Kane will be getting term and money. He's highly unlikely to take less than five years, and will not be taking a pay cut on his current 6M paycheck. So that leaves us at least with 6yrs x 7M. Additionally, in a thin FA year past Tavares, Kane will have quite a few teams bidding on him.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I agree, and not having the article in front of me, I don't remember exactly what I said about it. However, the gist of this prediction, is saying that Kane will be getting term and money. He's highly unlikely to take less than five years, and will not be taking a pay cut on his current 6M paycheck. So that leaves us at least with 6yrs x 7M. Additionally, in a thin FA year past Tavares, Kane will have quite a few teams bidding on him.
    And we're all hoping that our favorite team doesn't sign him to a long term big dollar contract.

Regarding projections, you might find some useful methodologies examing how various people project baseball free agent contracts. My reasoning is:

1. That it's been done for the longest of any of the major sports.
    2. Baseball has a fairly mature statistical (sabermetric) bunch of data.
    3, Free agent season in baseball is literally right now, and some think the market is behaving weirdly. Others think it's the low quality of the available players.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    And we're all hoping that our favorite team doesn't sign him to a long term big dollar contract.

Regarding projections, you might find some useful methodologies examing how various people project baseball free agent contracts. My reasoning is:

1. That it's been done for the longest of any of the major sports.
    2. Baseball has a fairly mature statistical (sabermetric) bunch of data.
    3, Free agent season in baseball is literally right now, and some think the market is behaving weirdly. Others think it's the low quality of the available players.
    Honestly I haven't looked all that much into projections done by others and different techniques/methodologies. I think the reason for that is jumping into this, I wouldn't have even known what questions to ask, where the pitfalls are, and all that, if I was going to start with research. So I'm starting with a blank slate, doing my own thing to start, and once I actually have a format, I might seek some other opinions/ideas. It also gives me a fresh perspective, in case those that have tried it before collaborated, leading to the same holes in their projections.
    Would not have really crossed my mind to look into other sports though, so I will definitely keep that on the back burner. Thanks!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Sub'd
    [FONT=trebuchet ms]
    7 Partial Keeper (Keep 5 + 2 reserve spots) 12F (G,A=1) 6D (G,A=1.5) 2G (W=2,OTL=1,SO=1)
    F: MacKinnon, Marner, Svechnikov, J.Hughes, Konecny, Ziba, Malkin, Kaprisov, Monahan, Reinhart, Tarasenko, Seguin (Hintz while IR)
    D: Chabot, Q.Hughes, Barrie, Sergachev, Burns, Dobson
    G: Price, Hellebuyck
    Reserve: Kakko, Gusev