Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To tank or not to tank that is the question

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default To tank or not to tank that is the question

So my team is sitting in 12th right now after a rocky two weeks. Realistically I could make some noise and get into the 7-8 spot by seasons end but anything higher is close to impossible. The top 8 make the playoffs. With my team currently I hold all of my draft picks for next season aside from my 3rd. I moved it for Varly and got a 5th in return. Small downgrade for a starter (who is now injured).

My roster is good aside from my goalies who are the reason why my team sucks. I have plenty of assets I could move out and pile up picks going forward. Goalie values are inflated and I've tried to land a tendy at almost all costs but have not been successful.

If I'm to pull a tank job and sell off assets for the remainder of the year, what 7 from my roster should I keep (roster in sig) and what should I be able to get in return for the ones I'm selling off?
    14 team head to head, 7 keepers
    G, A, PPP, HITS, PIM, +/-, GWG, W, L, SO, SV%
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2 Utility, 2G, 4 bench, 1IR+
    F - Matthews, Marner, McDavid, Debrincat, Thomas, Jeannot, Vilardi, Zegras, Guentzel, Zibanejad
    D - Dahlin, Bouchard, Lauzon, Durzi,. Chychrun
    G - Samsonov, Gustavsson, Askarov

16 team head to head, 15 keepers
    G, A, PPP, SOG, Hit, Block, W, GAA, SV, SV%
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 1F, 4D, 1 Utility, 2G
    F - McDavid, Tavares, Kucherov, Meier, Duchene, Foerster P. Kane, Pastrnak, R. Smith, Forsberg, Poitras, W. Johnston

D - Josi, Reilly, Faber, Matheson, Nemec,
    G - Vasilevskiy, Merzlikins, Vladar, Cossa

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: To tank or not to tank that is the question

Matthews, Backstrom, Zibanejad, Ovechkin, E. Kane, Draisaitl, Point, Huberdeau, Buchenivich, Marner
    Ellis, Fowler, Parayko, Theodore, Butcher
    Lehner, Varlamov, Saros, M. Subban - Only because you probable have to keep a goalie if their value is inflated.

I wouldn't keep any of your D and focus on D and goalies early in next years draft.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Matthews, Backstrom, Zibanejad, Ovechkin, E. Kane, Draisaitl, Point, Huberdeau, Buchenivich, Marner
    Ellis, Fowler, Parayko, Theodore, Butcher
    Lehner, Varlamov, Saros, M. Subban - Only because you probable have to keep a goalie if their value is inflated.

I wouldn't keep any of your D and focus on D and goalies early in next years draft.
    keeping Point over Zib...

for teh record, i dont approve of the tanking method
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Well if i'm trading off my non keeper assets it will effectively be a tank job. I will finish bottom 3 just based on the goalie weights alone if I start Lehner every game. I have a good team, I just have horrible goalies. I've tried to offer insanely one sided trades and have had them declined. I.E Kane, Draisaitl and Butcher for Rask and Backes
    F - Matthews, Marner, McDavid, Debrincat, Thomas, Jeannot, Vilardi, Zegras, Guentzel, Zibanejad

F - McDavid, Tavares, Kucherov, Meier, Duchene, Foerster P. Kane, Pastrnak, R. Smith, Forsberg, Poitras, W. Johnston

Dobber Sports Sage

12th out of 14th and more than half way through the season. If I'm you I'm thinking about next season and building my keepers and draft picks.

No brainer keepers:
    Matthews
    Backstrom
    Ovi
    Hubs
    Drai
    Varlamov

I'd shoot for some 2 for 1s to try and improve your last spot. Also keep working on a second goalie, you only need 1 person to accept, don't get discouraged. I'd think about targeting Talbot as he may come somewhat cheap (relative).
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    12th out of 14th and more than half way through the season. If I'm you I'm thinking about next season and building my keepers and draft picks.

No brainer keepers:
    Matthews
    Backstrom
    Ovi
    Hubs
    Drai
    Varlamov

I'd shoot for some 2 for 1s to try and improve your last spot. Also keep working on a second goalie, you only need 1 person to accept, don't get discouraged. I'd think about targeting Talbot as he may come somewhat cheap (relative).
    I don't really plan on stopping trying to get a second tendy. To give you a sense of who to target and who owns what here's the break down of tendys in my league by team. Tendy grouping is in order of the teams standing.
    Schneider/Allen/Vasilevskiy
    Holtby/Lundquist/Reimer
    Bob/Bernier/Smith
    Andersen/Hellebuyck
    Quick/Hutton/Miller
    Jones/Dubnyk/Dell
    Gibson/Fleury/Darling/Ward
    Rask/Rinne/Ullmark
    Price/Elliot/Anderson
    Talbot/Howard
    Bishop/Murray/Luongo (inactive GM)
    Subban/Saros/Lehner/Varly/Forsberg
    Raanta/Jarry/Glass/Markstrom
    Halak/Crawford (inactive GM)

I'm currently sitting in 12th with 127 points, 13th is 122 points and 8th (playoff cut off) is 147 points. I'm thinking I'm getting to the point where playoffs are unlikely for my team unless some miracle happens. I finished 4th last season but I rode Matthews, Draisaitl and Marners hot seasons.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Keepers for me:

Matthews, Backstrom, Ovechkin, Draisaitl, Huberdeau, Varlamov, (To be determined)

I think you can likely upgrade that last spot by offering Kane & some of your other guys. Possibly try to get a defenseman keeper.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Pro

I really like the idea of getting Talbot, as that GM is not contending, and you can get him cheap. Seems like everyone has the keepers nailed. I agree with the group too, try to get back a D keeper, there are plenty underperforming now (Shatty)
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The person who has Talbot wants matthews in return for the deal. I've tried that one many times. They don't want to go into next year without a keeper tendy. The way I look at it is my best trade targets are Allen/Schneider or rinne/rask

Dobber Sports Deity

Selling assets for future development isn't tanking to me if you are out of it. That's just smart management to me. Not setting your lineup is tanking and that isn't right.

F - Matthews, Backstrom, Zibanejad, Ovechkin, E. Kane, Draisaitl, Point, Huberdeau, Buchenivich, Marner

D - Ellis, Fowler, Parayko, Butcher
    G - Lehner, Forsberg, Saros, M. Subban
    IR - Varlamov

For me, all seven of your keepers are from your forward core. I would try and deal Ovechkin in some sort of deal to improve your goaltending and see if you cant find a keeper goalie. Ovechkin is still a nice scorer but loses a lot of value in a league that doesn't use SOG or hits. I am not sure how much others will value him due to his age but that would be where I would start.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Selling assets for future development isn't tanking to me if you are out of it. That's just smart management to me. Not setting your lineup is tanking and that isn't right.

F - Matthews, Backstrom, Zibanejad, Ovechkin, E. Kane, Draisaitl, Point, Huberdeau, Buchenivich, Marner

D - Ellis, Fowler, Parayko, Butcher
    G - Lehner, Forsberg, Saros, M. Subban
    IR - Varlamov

For me, all seven of your keepers are from your forward core. I would try and deal Ovechkin in some sort of deal to improve your goaltending and see if you cant find a keeper goalie. Ovechkin is still a nice scorer but loses a lot of value in a league that doesn't use SOG or hits. I am not sure how much others will value him due to his age but that would be where I would start.
    The league is introducing hits next year and removing SHP as a category. Ovi should gain value going into next year. I think Ovi has 3 more good years left in him

Administrator

It's not tanking if you're dealing assets you'd be dropping anyway for value. I'd have more of an issue if you deal away keeper players for underwhelming/useless returns. Nothing wrong with stockpiling picks to give you better odds to hit home runs and improve your long-term team.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Stalinism View Post
    The league is introducing hits next year and removing SHP as a category. Ovi should gain value going into next year. I think Ovi has 3 more good years left in him
    Gotcha. Would have been good info to share in your OP as this changes things.

That being said, that only helps trading certain guys. Guys like Ovechkin or EKane's value will only go up on the trade block. I do agree that Ovechkin has a few more good years left in him and that's why you should be dealing him NOW and not in three years when his value drops dramatically.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

i would try to dangle Ovi and Lehner and try to get a real upgrade in goal ..but that would only happen if you got a GM with very strong goalies imo

I would then keep your new Goalie, Matthews, Backstrom, Leon D, Point, Marner and Zib or Parayko

Dobber Sports Apprentice

But the question is; if i'm out of contention, what should my asking price be for my non keeper assets? There's plenty of good there to be moved and I should be able to load draft picks in preparation for a serious push next year. Moving ovi is a good point, I'm completely open to moving him but the return I would want would have to be a roster player going forward, likely a goalie