Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mat Barzal

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Mat Barzal

Quote Originally Posted by reggiebarnes View Post
    He was not Canada’s best player last year. That was Chabot by a wide margin
    I should have specified best forward, you are correct.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by masterjeff View Post
    Like DeBrincat good junior
    Yes, certainly, but he has looked much better IMO than DeBrincat in the games I've seen both play. He seems a step ahead, if not two. His rapid adaptation has been sensational and to me, bewildering.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Ace

This roid talk is silly. I don't get why it's even being mentioned. This Barzal chap is the goods. One of the best damn skaters I have ever seen. One of the best young playmakers in the league and damn, he can score too. Can keep your Marners, Nylanders and probably even your Kellers and Strome's. Yes, I think he is better than all those young players. I wonder if Devils fans wish they could trade Hischier for Barzal. And I think he will continue to be better than those young players through his career. Only young players that are rivaling Barzal are McD, Mathews, Laine and Boeser. Maybe I'm forgetting one or two others but damn. I guess Scheifle can be included. Islanders struck gold with this one.

I fully would expect him to continue to improve as well. Many were suggesting he would be a 40 assist guy, but that he would maybe only get 20 goals. From how he's been doing it, I seriously wouldn't be surprised if he was a 40 goal 50 assist player some year. I suppose 30/50 is probably more likely but still. Could he reach 100 points eventually? I think it's entirely possible all though I wouldn't yet count on that.

Very happy I grabbed him in both of my main dynasty leagues. Can't see trading him unless it's for McD or Mathews probably. All though I offered Barzal, Huberdeau and Kunin for McDavid and it got turned down. I suppose McDavid is still the top of the charts. But that Barzal kid, wish the Rangers had him or someone like him. Buchnevich starting to look like horse chow in comparison. Here's hoping for Chytil to make some waves when he arrives.
    '
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
    This roid talk is silly. I don't get why it's even being mentioned. This Barzal chap is the goods. One of the best damn skaters I have ever seen. One of the best young playmakers in the league and damn, he can score too. Can keep your Marners, Nylanders and probably even your Kellers and Strome's. Yes, I think he is better than all those young players. I wonder if Devils fans wish they could trade Hischier for Barzal. And I think he will continue to be better than those young players through his career. Only young players that are rivaling Barzal are McD, Mathews, Laine and Boeser. Maybe I'm forgetting one or two others but damn. I guess Scheifle can be included. Islanders struck gold with this one.

I fully would expect him to continue to improve as well. Many were suggesting he would be a 40 assist guy, but that he would maybe only get 20 goals. From how he's been doing it, I seriously wouldn't be surprised if he was a 40 goal 50 assist player some year. I suppose 30/50 is probably more likely but still. Could he reach 100 points eventually? I think it's entirely possible all though I wouldn't yet count on that.

Very happy I grabbed him in both of my main dynasty leagues. Can't see trading him unless it's for McD or Mathews probably. All though I offered Barzal, Huberdeau and Kunin for McDavid and it got turned down. I suppose McDavid is still the top of the charts. But that Barzal kid, wish the Rangers had him or someone like him. Buchnevich starting to look like horse chow in comparison. Here's hoping for Chytil to make some waves when he arrives.
    '
    Boeser is not comparable to guys like Laine and McDavid. I don’t think he’s better than nylander either

jusr be careful crowning him too early. you mentioned marner. Well he was the flavour of the year last season and now he’s considered a one year wonder. Need to see lots of production from rookies every year, not just one. Even barzal was considered a flop last season , with many questioning his upside after an average wjc and post draft years

Dobber Sports Deity

Boeser is not comparable to guys like Laine and McDavid. I don’t think he’s better than nylander either

jusr be careful crowning him too early. you mentioned marner. Well he was the flavour of the year last season and now he’s considered a one year wonder. Need to see lots of production from rookies every year, not just one. Even barzal was considered a flop last season , with many questioning his upside after an average wjc and post draft years
    I dont think people consider him a one-year wonder. They are simply looking at a kid who is struggling through the dreaded sophomore slump, which can obviously happen to any player. Boeser and Barzal are not exempt from this as a possibility as well.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by SensArmy93 View Post
    Imagine having three opportunities to draft this kid in the first round and not using one of those picks to take a risk on him. Obviously that's in hindsight, but you have to think at least one scout in Boston wanted to draft him.
    Here?s the joke : I saw him play at the Quebec peewee tournament and I was waiting for him . I drafted him as early as I could and the boys have been harassing me for 2 years about my ?peewee scouting skills? , especially the Bruins fans who are trying to justify passing on him 3 times at the draft . It?s anything but hindsight for me , I couldn?t believe it when I whitnessed that at the NHL draft ! Unbelievable ! And I told the boys too .

I never thought he? d do that well this year but I had a great feeling about the very near future . I am glad I never budged when a few ?visionaries? in our league approached me for him .

In peewee , he was the same size as the others (even on the small side) but the vision and skill were off the chart . He was sooooo dominant but if he would have been 6 feet then , it would have ho-hum for me .

Anyway , one of my favorite players to watch . A point machine with great blue collar work ethic (his dad is a plumber I think )
    17th season keeper league with salary cap,16 teams ,max 38 players per team,UFA/RFA system,contracts.
    Cats:fwd(1pt=1pt)top 6 count -Bratt/Hischier/Kakko/Hintz/Meier/W.Johnston/Mercer/Lafrénière/Perfetti/Zibanejad//Mercer/Holtz/Panarin/Kreider/
    D(G=2,A=1.5)top 4 count- A.Fox/Heiskanen/K.Miller/Hutson
    Goalies(save%,W,SO)top 2 count-Shesterkin/Oettinger
    plus 4 other cats: top powerfwd(Trocheck)
    setupman(J.Hughes),sniper(J.Robertson)rookie(M.Bou rque/G.Perreault/Stankoven)

Playoffs Champion 2009, 2010, 2018
    Reg.season Champion 2011-12,2012-13,2016-17,2017-18,2018-19,2022-23

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by SensArmy93 View Post
    Imagine having three opportunities to draft this kid in the first round and not using one of those picks to take a risk on him. Obviously that's in hindsight, but you have to think at least one scout in Boston wanted to draft him.
    If I?m a Boston scout pushing for him (and I would have been !) and if they pull the stunt of passing on him , I leave the table and quit on the spot . Bye bye !
    17th season keeper league with salary cap,16 teams ,max 38 players per team,UFA/RFA system,contracts.
    Cats:fwd(1pt=1pt)top 6 count -Bratt/Hischier/Kakko/Hintz/Meier/W.Johnston/Mercer/Lafrénière/Perfetti/Zibanejad//Mercer/Holtz/Panarin/Kreider/

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by hank mooney View Post
    Yep, he must be on 'roids. Only logical conclusion. I mean, he was only Canada's best player last year in the World Junior's, and a first round draft pick...but he does look Ben Johnson good out there, and no-one predicted this kind of success so...it must be 'roids! As a Barzal owner, I just hope he never gets caught.
    The kid is skinny ! Have you seen his face ? He looks more malnourished than a guy on steroids . If he gets caught for PED , there will be another 400 players caught as well ! Ha ! Ha!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Since a disproportionately high number of 19 and 20 year-olds regularly accomplish the feat at that level due to their physical maturity as compared to their competition (which averages about 17.5 years of age).

I am not saying Barzal shouldn't be good at the NHL level, but we are talking about someone who in his rookie season is 7 pts from 2nd in league scoring (Art Ross territory) after never having totally dominated play at his level. He has never dominated play at any level, but in his first year, he is dominating the best league in Hockey. I don't know how anyone cannot help but be mystified by this. It's crazy. I am very happy for him, but it is bewildering.
    I thought he was dominant at world juniors . And really at every level he played .
    To your PED point it makes very little sense to me . PED doesn?t do much for so many factors important to do what he?s doing ( vision, edges, deception , precision and release of shot, etc,etc,etc)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I think Barzal is awesome but let's not go too crazy yet.

If you remove 2 games of production it takes away 10 points. In my opinion he hasn't been "dominating" against NHL competition every shift-- dominating is a strong word. Crosby doesn't even dominate every game. Barzal is defintely scoring consistently, but I don't think he's setting the bar at a new level for rookies or anything. He's got insane skating skills and awesome hands and those things are the first that jump out when you're watching hockey. Just because he looks so dynamic on the ice does not mean he's dominating the competition though. He still has to improve his hockey sense, defensive play, puck possession battles, etc before we start saying he's dominating at the NHL level IMO.

Also, the Islanders play pond hockey so there are tons of points to go around. Hell, at one point just a few weeks ago Josh Bailey was on pace for what, 130 points? Josh Bailey! Has he ever even hit 50? Barzal is awesome but in my opinion he's gonna max out around a Pat Kane-lite, scoring at the pace he is now. Nothing to sneeze at but nothing to drop your panties for either.
    I think this is a good comment .

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post

'
    The previous poster who had him Kane-light is close . But it might not be that light . 80-90 pts makes sense to me , especially when he’s 22-25 yo . The guy has a heck of a work ethic , that’ll never hurt .

Dobber Sports Ace

Well I would have to strongly disagree with that sentiment. He's not comparable with Laine or McDavid? Firstly, Laine is not comparable to McDavid if you want to get down to it. McDavid is in a class of his own. Laine hasn't yet shown he's near that level. A lot of people were suggesting he's the next Ovechkin to McDavid's Crosby. I absolutely don't think he's there yet and there is no guarantee he gets there. Second, how is Boeser not comparable to Laine? Boeser has shown as much or more offensive ability as Laine in their short careers. Isn't Boeser all ready averaging a better scoring rate than Laine did in his rookie season? There is still a huge chunk of the season to go, but I don't really think Boeser is going to slow down aside from a short slump here or there. At worst I think Boeser will finish around the same as Laine. Laine brings other aspects to the game like hitting, but offensively? You don't think he's better than Nylander either? I think a lot of folks overrate Nylander. "Just be careful crowning him too early" I kind of think that's what you are doing with Nylander. Nylander is a very good player, but right now I would 100% prefer Barzal for instance. The way Boeser has looked, I think I would prefer Boeser as well.

Your opening statement would seem to contradict your ending statement as all of Laine, McDavid, Marner, Nylander and Boeser fall into that category of being too early in their careers to really say. Who thinks Marner is a one year wonder? I still think Marner is going to be a fantastic player and I rate him close to if not better than Nylander even long term. But again, I am not sure why so many are THAT high on Nylander. But also, it's way too early to make a declaration of who will have a better career. I am just suggesting as things stand, from what these players have shown, they seem very even.

I think you are somewhat underselling Boeser at the moment. Only time will tell.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by poolsharks View Post
    The previous poster who had him Kane-light is close . But it might not be that light . 80-90 pts makes sense to me , especially when he’s 22-25 yo . The guy has a heck of a work ethic , that’ll never hurt .
    Yea. I don't see why anyone would think Nylander projects better than Boeser's plausible upside. I think he can be very comparable to Kane from a scoring sense.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont think people consider him a one-year wonder. They are simply looking at a kid who is struggling through the dreaded sophomore slump, which can obviously happen to any player. Boeser and Barzal are not exempt from this as a possibility as well.
    Exactly. I think at this point there is no way to tell who will be the better player long term of Nylander, Boeser, Barzal, Marner and probably even Laine. The only two young players that I think you can really suggest at this point that they will be better long term are McDavid and Mathews.
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by poolsharks View Post
    I thought he was dominant at world juniors . And really at every level he played .
    To your PED point it makes very little sense to me . PED doesn?t do much for so many factors important to do what he?s doing ( vision, edges, deception , precision and release of shot, etc,etc,etc)
    It's his speed; speed of hands and of foot. He's a blur out there and seems a step ahead of the rest. I know he's not on PEDs (I don't believe he is anyway) but he's just got so much jump ahead of the competition at this level coming straight out of Junior where honestly, I don't feel he was so much ahead of his elite peers. Better than average, sure, but nothing like this. It's incredible to see him play and a treat really.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin