Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mat Barzal

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Mat Barzal

had Barzal played all 70 games last year, he was on a 135pt pace. in the WHL... that's about as dominant as it gets. Considering, going all the way back to the 99/00 season only Sam Steel, (131) Adam Brooks (130) and Shinnimin (134) have cracked 130.

Players look entirely different in person vs. on TV.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

This Matt Barzal kid is really good. Damn.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Pro

I had sushi for lunch today it was really good

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    It's trolling to point out that four separate times one user mentioned PED use about one specific player in the same thread? Huh. I'm cool with that "trolling".

Huh. Maybe you just meant agentzero was trolling. My mistake.

Who the hell are you?.... Except the exact definition of what you just posted above?

This is a fantasy hockey forum for fun, not a court-room. I don't know if you can distinguish the two but I assure you I certainly can.

Right now, Barzal plays like he has a video game cheat code on. Of course, the NHL occurs in real life and not on a video game, right?

J'ai jamais vu.... You serious with this shit? Holy cow....
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    had Barzal played all 70 games last year, he was on a 135pt pace. in the WHL... that's about as dominant as it gets. Considering, going all the way back to the 99/00 season only Sam Steel, (131) Adam Brooks (130) and Shinnimin (134) have cracked 130.

Players look entirely different in person vs. on TV.
    And I'll be damned, though Shinnimin is a great example of a player who went entirely the other way... So is Emerson Etem, who scored 61 goals in 65 games in his last year. I agree they look different in person, but considering no one predicted this level of dominant play this early on, it has to be considered surprising. And I'm not just talking his inflated secondary assists, his play all around the ice has been so dynamic.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Pro

I think Barzal is awesome but let's not go too crazy yet.

If you remove 2 games of production it takes away 10 points. In my opinion he hasn't been "dominating" against NHL competition every shift-- dominating is a strong word. Crosby doesn't even dominate every game. Barzal is defintely scoring consistently, but I don't think he's setting the bar at a new level for rookies or anything. He's got insane skating skills and awesome hands and those things are the first that jump out when you're watching hockey. Just because he looks so dynamic on the ice does not mean he's dominating the competition though. He still has to improve his hockey sense, defensive play, puck possession battles, etc before we start saying he's dominating at the NHL level IMO.

Also, the Islanders play pond hockey so there are tons of points to go around. Hell, at one point just a few weeks ago Josh Bailey was on pace for what, 130 points? Josh Bailey! Has he ever even hit 50? Barzal is awesome but in my opinion he's gonna max out around a Pat Kane-lite, scoring at the pace he is now. Nothing to sneeze at but nothing to drop your panties for either.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Barzal was on pace for 121 assists his last year in junior. Good god that's insane. Not really adding anything to the thread, just.... Damn haha.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    So a player you never saw play live in junior didn't look dominant in junior. Got it.
    Rataylor, drop it. Agentzero expressed his opinion in multiple posts to other forum members in a clear and cogent manner that included far more content and thought than you are attempting to portray. If you disagree, fine. But kindly present your opinion in a more substantive manner than sarcastic one liners that offer no content to the discussion.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Prodigy

You see that feed to Eberle in tonight's game? He's GOTTA BE on 'roids!!!

Dobber Sports Monster

I'm currently shopping him in my points keeper league. Trying to sell high. Roided up or not, he is one heck of a player.

The Great One

I have an offer of Barzal and W. Nylander for my Kucherov. I turned the offer down, but Barzal made me think about it for a couple of days.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    How does a player go from scoring 10 goals in 40 games as an overager in Junior, to scoring 16 in sensibly the same amount of games in the NHL? Either this guy is on roids or I don't know, because he looks dominant at the NHL level in a way that he never was in Junior.

I don't get it.
    Confidence.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Thomas
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg, Hyman(L/R)
    R-Svechnikov(L/R) Konecny(L/R) P. Kane, Zucc
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi, McAvoy, Montour
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill, Grubauer
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I think Barzal is awesome but let's not go too crazy yet.

If you remove 2 games of production it takes away 10 points. In my opinion he hasn't been "dominating" against NHL competition every shift-- dominating is a strong word. Crosby doesn't even dominate every game. Barzal is defintely scoring consistently, but I don't think he's setting the bar at a new level for rookies or anything. He's got insane skating skills and awesome hands and those things are the first that jump out when you're watching hockey. Just because he looks so dynamic on the ice does not mean he's dominating the competition though. He still has to improve his hockey sense, defensive play, puck possession battles, etc before we start saying he's dominating at the NHL level IMO.

Also, the Islanders play pond hockey so there are tons of points to go around. Hell, at one point just a few weeks ago Josh Bailey was on pace for what, 130 points? Josh Bailey! Has he ever even hit 50? Barzal is awesome but in my opinion he's gonna max out around a Pat Kane-lite, scoring at the pace he is now. Nothing to sneeze at but nothing to drop your panties for either.
    I've watched every game this season, that line has dominated games on most nights, he's the main reason.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Thomas
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg, Hyman(L/R)
    R-Svechnikov(L/R) Konecny(L/R) P. Kane, Zucc
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi, McAvoy, Montour
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill, Grubauer
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

He was not Canada’s best player last year. That was Chabot by a wide margin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Yes, he does look Ben Johnson good.

He was Canada's best player, but by no means was it a dominant performance, against kids his age, not men. He didn't carry team Canada to Gold by himself or set the tournament on fire with like 15 goals.

First rounder or not, I just can't remember the last time a player had a decent but not dominant Junior career (we're not talking approaching records or breaking any here), an okay overager season (in which it is common for 19 and 20 year olds to post like 100+ points and never sniff the NHL) and is basically tied with Sidney Crosby in scoring.

Good player or good prospect or not, this is nuts.
    Like DeBrincat good junior
    [FONT=trebuchet ms]
    7 Partial Keeper (Keep 5 + 2 reserve spots) 12F (G,A=1) 6D (G,A=1.5) 2G (W=2,OTL=1,SO=1)
    F: MacKinnon, Marner, Svechnikov, J.Hughes, Konecny, Ziba, Malkin, Kaprisov, Monahan, Reinhart, Tarasenko, Seguin (Hintz while IR)
    D: Chabot, Q.Hughes, Barrie, Sergachev, Burns, Dobson
    G: Price, Hellebuyck
    Reserve: Kakko, Gusev