Thread: What is the proper return for Brent Burns?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default What is the proper return for Brent Burns?

It's that time of the year in my keeper pool where teams that are out of the playoff picture are trading off pieces for draft picks and trying to get younger. Unfortunately this season I am one of those teams and as a Brent Burns owner I am trying to figure out what the proper return is for a player in his age 33 season who is still likely the top fantasy D at the moment.

I have gotten offers of a 2nd / 4th rounder from one owner. For context, there were some pretty good players available in our most recent draft in those rounds. Some notable second round picks include Klefbom, Radulov, Faulk, Schwartz, Seth Jones, Anders Lee. In the fourth it would include guys like Neal, Trocheck, E. Staal, Palat.

Another offer I got was Roman Josi straight up. Josi is 5 years younger or so and in my format (in my sig) is probably a top 5 fantasy D. Is that a good enough return or should I be asking for more? I never really know how to gauge fair value in these kinds of situations but I want to make sure I get appropriate value for my best asset. Thanks guys.
    12 team Keeper league (G, A, +-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, BLK, GAA, SV%, SV, SO)

Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 7 D, 2 G (5 bench spots)

Current projected keepers (8): Burns, Carlson, Panarin, Simmonds, Monahan, Guentzel, Skinner, Schneider

The Great One

Default Re: What is the proper return for Brent Burns?

Here is what I don't know.

If you trade for the 2nd and 4th pick, then you have an open keeper spot. Who would become your 8th keeper?

If you trade for Josi, well, he definitely is a solid pick for years to come. Does your league generally value youth to a silly degree?

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Here is what I don't know.

If you trade for the 2nd and 4th pick, then you have an open keeper spot. Who would become your 8th keeper?
    Keller. But Guentzel is hardly a slam dunk keeper at this point and would be in the mix with guys like Silfverberg, Pierre Luc Dubois, Fiala, and Faulk for my last spot.

If you trade for Josi, well, he definitely is a solid pick for years to come. Does your league generally value youth to a silly degree?
    I don't think so. I mean the guys who are potential superstars have a lot of value but other than those rare exceptions I would say no.
    12 team Keeper league (G, A, +-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, BLK, GAA, SV%, SV, SO)

Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 7 D, 2 G (5 bench spots)

Current projected keepers (8): Burns, Carlson, Panarin, Simmonds, Monahan, Guentzel, Skinner, Schneider

Dobber Sports Genius

I am not sure of all of the particulars of your league but I would want something of a 3-1 deal for Burns. I am not sure how that looks in your setting but the three assets that come back all have to be keepers. Whether it is high enough picks to get a player worth keeping or actual players (realizing it is difficult mid season to make a 3-1 deal with a contending team as they need the actual pieces to contend).

If you are not getting handsome return then simply hold Burns. Burns is awesome. /beard stroke/

After the season you may be able to get a 3-1 deal done with a stacked team that is overflowing with talent. Your current keeper list could use another couple of elite unicorns.

As for what is on the table:
    - Josi for Burns 1-1 is a step backwards. Keep the more awesome older player.
    - 2nd and 4th for Burns is a shitty offer (I think anyway). There is no way you are getting a 'Burns' with those two picks. Those two picks added together don't equal a 'Burns'.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Veteran

My league is a keep 6, points only.
    GMs in my league consider players of 30+ years old with next to no value...
    I traded away Burns when his value was at its lowest...
    I got Pastrnak and I’m happy with it.
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Dobber Sports Master

32-33 years old is not old. You should have absolutely no problems keeping him for next year and probably the year after that. If your league doesn't attribute the appropriate trade value to a player like Brent Burns, you keep him. You need players like him to win any league you are in. He's been the leagues 1 or 2 top fantasy dman for a few years now.

For context, I would want a top 20 dman, a blue chip prospect and a 1st round draft pick. In your format, I'm sure you realize, Brent Burns is a monster.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I like the Josi offer if you can get a pick thrown in. You get a yonger top-5 D back that is definitely a keeper for you.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I like the Josi offer if you can get a pick thrown in. You get a yonger top-5 D back that is definitely a keeper for you.
    agreed, if a high pick is coupled with Josi I would pull the trigger.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Guentzel,Sv ech,Thomas,Rust,Jenner,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault,Sc hwartz,Arvidsson
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Harley,Pettersson
    G:Jarry,Kotchetkov,Stolarz
    IR:Gudas,Vilardi

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Kempe,Vilardi
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Nyquist
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov