Thread: Hamilton or Big Buff - I'll Rep

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Hamilton or Big Buff - I'll Rep

I had been rolling with Hamilton/Big Buff for most of the season, then acquired Subban in a trade in early December. He's a no doubt starter for me, and I was playing Hamilton with him while Buff was out. Since Buff is back, I've played him over Hamilton but he's had less fantasy points (no hits, pims, sog) in my format.

Buff plays on the road (B2B) against Minny tonight, and Hamilton plays in Carolina tomorrow afternoon (4th game, all on road since Jan 9).

I don't think either matchup is ideal, but who would you trust more here/for the rest of the season as a whole? Hamilton has 17 fantasy pts in past 4 games, and Buff has 7. I still trust Buff more as a whole, but Hamilton is trending towards a second half surge.

My plan all along was to play whoever was on a good streak, but I obviously missed on Hamilton's most recent 4 games, but at least got some points with Buff. Is Buff the better play at home and Hamilton on the road (given their splits)?

Winn played Buffalo twice, and a struggling San Jose and Chicago in the 4 game stretch, while Calgary played Anaheim, Minny, Tampa (surprisingly beat them 5-1), and Florida, and I felt Buff had the better chance of success matchup wise.

I'm in a good position where I have 3 good D for 2 spots. Knowing me, I would take Buff out tonight and put Hamilton in tomorrow and Buff would do better, haha.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    Goalie points: A (2), G (10), SHO (4), W (5), OL + ShL (2)
    Keepers: Kaprisov (4 yr), Svechnikov (3 yr), Point (2 yr), P Kane (1 yr)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    Bench: Trocheck, Rakell, Wedgewood, Francouz
    Rookie: Kochetkov
    IR:

Max GP: C (164), LW (164), RW (164), D (164), Skt (82), Goalie (82)
    1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    14 teams (4 keepers/team + can carry 1 rookie over)
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Hamilton or Big Buff - I'll Rep

It's really hard to forecast anything out of the two. Last year Hamilton played a very strong second half (almost a ppg) so I'd want to hold him in case he does it again this year (and he's been heating up lately). The problem with him however is the lack of exposure to PP1 as he seems to always be behind Gio or Brodie.

Meanwhile, Buff has a had a more defensive-minded role in Winnipeg this year (less TOI overall, but similar duty on PK and a lesser role on PP) which might translate by a subpar performance in points by his standards since he's getting less opportunities overall. Not all poolies might be aware of these changes in usage so you might fetch a good return for him.

My take on your situation is probably being patient and keep both unless you receive a good offer for either (an upgrade at center over Guentzel, for example). This way you can surf on their respective streaks and trade the less productive of the two down the road. If you can afford the wait, that is
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cheese_cake View Post
    It's really hard to forecast anything out of the two. Last year Hamilton played a very strong second half (almost a ppg) so I'd want to hold him in case he does it again this year (and he's been heating up lately). The problem with him however is the lack of exposure to PP1 as he seems to always be behind Gio or Brodie.

Meanwhile, Buff has a had a more defensive-minded role in Winnipeg this year (less TOI overall, but similar duty on PK and a lesser role on PP) which might translate by a subpar performance in points by his standards since he's getting less opportunities overall. Not all poolies might be aware of these changes in usage so you might fetch a good return for him.

My take on your situation is probably being patient and keep both unless you receive a good offer for either (an upgrade at center over Guentzel, for example). This way you can surf on their respective streaks and trade the less productive of the two down the road. If you can afford the wait, that is
    Good points. I'll just correct you on Hamilton, he did have a better 2nd half, but still 38 pts in 55 games so wasn't close to ppg. You don't really see that with D, unless talking Karlsson (usually), Burns (at least last year) and Klingberg (this year so far), but I don't really see any d getting 80 pts this year. I'm not looking to move any d right now, it's good to have depth. I may just stick with Big Buff, because I like Winnipeg's offence more. I picked up Thornton last night, I mean my league is goal heavy but still think Thornton is the better play than Guentzel right now, and I moved Dubois back to my rookie slot. I played him for 1 game at centre, and 1 at skater slot (had a game to use up from Zuc who was a late scratch the other game), and he didn't do anything. Since Guentzel plays twice this weekend, and I used a centre game by Dubois, I'll just use 1 centre game this weekend to stay on track. Don't see Thornton fitting into my plans for ROS, but will see how he does tonight against the Coyotes.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Considering you don't seem to need to trade either, I would hold on both then.
    Hopefully the Sharks pick up some offense vs the Coyotes
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cheese_cake View Post
    Considering you don't seem to need to trade either, I would hold on both then.
    Hopefully the Sharks pick up some offense vs the Coyotes
    Yeah for sure, I have the room. Always nice to have that security blanket. Another team had Subban, Hedman and Butcher, and traded me Subban, then Hedman got hurt. He had to pick Schultz up from free agency, but not the same.

Yeah, I'm glad I benched Guentzel, now I can sit back and see if Thornton does anything tonight. I mean at least he's on 1st line/pp.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax