Thread: Kristian Vesalainen

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Kristian Vesalainen

Looks like Vesalainen is carrying his WJC success (led Finland in points with Tolvanen) into Liiga and has gone on a tear since. Now up to 25 pts in 28 games there. If he can keep up this play, it will put him in the company of players like Sebastian Aho or Teuvo Teravainen who have gone at or near a point-per-game as a U19 player for draft+1 years in Liiga. The season will be done by the time Vesalainen turns 19.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Kristian Vesalainen

He's actually been very good all season long but his 6 points in 2 games since the WJC are definitely improving his season totals. He's been getting more ice-time lately as he was previously playing about 15 minutes per game but is now up to 19 minutes in the last six games he's played.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

He has had a great season there and I think if the Jets were smart they would let him develop there for another year or two.

They already have a young top 6... and can be patient with him and let him come over and be elite rather than playing bottom 6 for a year.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    He has had a great season there and I think if the Jets were smart they would let him develop there for another year or two.

They already have a young top 6... and can be patient with him and let him come over and be elite rather than playing bottom 6 for a year.
    I don't know if the Finnish league can offer good enough competition for him next season. It might be better to make the jump to the AHL and spend a couple of years there.

Dobber Sports Ace

With just his stat lines to look at, he definitely looks like he's trending up. DobberProspects' analysis makes it seem like he's still another year or two out, if only to adjust to playing against bigger, more experienced players. Does projecting him as getting a look next year, and then coming in part-time in 19-20 make sense? Just curious how to gauge his value beside similar style players.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

This is a prospect that has been growing on me all year. He's a bit raw at 18 but the combination of speed and size he offers, his work along the boards and not-insignificant offensive ability really stand out. It's nice to see him performing so well in a pro league at this juncture. Doesn't strike me as the kind of bigger prospect that got along using his size against the kids. He'll need work at the AHL level for sure but I think he could be a doozy. Having Kyler Connor and Ehlers with the big club should afford the Jets some time to develop this guy properly. I think he could be one of the low-key stories of his draft class when everyone's focusing on the likes of Pettersson, Mittelstadt, Tolvanen, Heiskanen, Hischier etc.