Thread: Lineup Advice - I'll Rep

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Lineup Advice - I'll Rep

I've been running Guentzel out as my #2 centre. He's been dropped in the depth chart (3rd line) and has been on 2nd pp most of the year.

I've got D Brown on my bench, and Dubois in my rookie slot.

Would either of these guys be worthy of a lineup spot right now? My weakest forwards at the moment are Guentzel, Patches and Zuc.

Zuc is playing around what is normal for him, but the other 2 are underperforming.

I was thinking of playing Dubois at Buffalo tonight, as Boeser isn't playing and I can put him in the rookie slot, then activate him for his game against Columbus tomorrow.

Dubois plays tonight/tomorrow, and Guentzel plays Sat/Sun. Boeser plays Fri/Sun. Brown just plays Saturday. I could also move Hall to centre, and put Brown on lw. Hall just plays on Sat as well.

I could play Dubois tonight, and Guentzel for 1 of the weekend games (vs Det interests me more than vs Rangers). I just don't want to waste 2 more centre games on a guy not performing right now, so if I use Dubois tonight can see how it goes at least (it's against a crap team). I could also just not use Guentzel at all for now, like wait for him to wake up, and adjust my lineup so I still use 2 games between now and Sun (Dubois tonight + 1 on Sat/Sun), however I need to do that. I just want to stay on track games played wise.

It's just frustrating having Guentzel in there, and he's putting up zeroes most nights. I think he'll snap out of it at some point. I'm not too worried about games played, I'm not burning my games too quickly or anything, it's just a matter of what is my optimum lineup right now?

Keep in mind if Dubois is part of that, and I plan to play him/Boeser on nights they both play, I'll need to drop someone. Plus Horvat is injured and I'll have to activate him at some point, so that'll be another drop, if I can't pull off a trade. I think my best bet is just to spot start Dubois, and only have to drop 1 guy at most when Horvat comes back if I can't make a trade.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    Goalie points: A (2), G (10), SHO (4), W (5), OL + ShL (2)
    Keepers: Kaprisov (4 yr), Svechnikov (3 yr), Point (2 yr), P Kane (1 yr)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    Bench: Trocheck, Rakell, Wedgewood, Francouz
    Rookie: Kochetkov
    IR:

Max GP: C (164), LW (164), RW (164), D (164), Skt (82), Goalie (82)
    1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    14 teams (4 keepers/team + can carry 1 rookie over)
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Lineup Advice - I'll Rep

Dubois owner here. I've been starting him ever since he got moved up to first line C and first line C on the powerplay and have not been disappointed. His ice time is climbing every game and his offensive output has sky rocketed since the beginning of the year (he was playing on fourth line). At this point, I would start him over Guentz all day. Guentz's value flows from Crosby, Malkin and Kessel, who he is not playing with enough right now. Dubois' line of Panarin and Anderson is on fire right now, ride that line all day
    12 team 35 player dynasty Keep all players - 2017-18 Leaque champ -
    Goals: 3 Assists: 2 Def pts: 0.5 PPG:2 SHG:2 Shots: 0.4 GA:-1 SV: 0.2 Wins: 5 Shutout: 3

F: Barkov, Scheifele, Dubois, Hall, Keller, Kreider, Drouin, Monahan, Dadonov, Shwartz, Terravainen, Wilson, Tatar, Schmaltz , Bratt Minors: Necas, Chytil, Borgstrom, Kravtsov, R.Thomas, Donato,

D: Jones, Butcher, Klingberg, Hamilton, S. Theodore, Minors: Chowlowski, Jokiharju, Brannstrom, K. Miller

G: Bobrovsky, Varlamov, IR: Crawford, Raanta Minors:Hill

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would bench Guentzel for sure and play Dubois. If Guentzel keeps playing badly, I would make him your drop. Looking at your team, he's probably your worst player besides patches. I'd also try to work in Brown wherever you can. he's slowed down but still not a bad option.
    20-team dynasty cats League, Daily sets
    25 keepers, 2 rookies
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPP,GWG, FOW, Hits, BLKS, SOG, Goalie starts,GAA,SV%,SVS,W,

F: O'Brien, Newhook, Wennberg, Tavares, Kuraly, Bjorkstrand, Skinner, Zucker, Bertuzzi, Coleman, Kurashev, N Robertson

D: Dunn, Moser, Matheson, Mintyukov

G: Binnington, Fleury, Forsberg, Dostal, Rittich
    NA: Sogaard, Denisenko, Annunen

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by stefan17 View Post
    I would bench Guentzel for sure and play Dubois. If Guentzel keeps playing badly, I would make him your drop. Looking at your team, he's probably your worst player besides patches. I'd also try to work in Brown wherever you can. he's slowed down but still not a bad option.
    Yeah I think I'll do that, play Dubois tonight since I can then see from there. I got Guentzel via trade, so I would rather not drop him given the free agent market is weak. I also think he and Patches will rebound. Maybe can work Brown in over the weekend, since won't be able to play Boeser/Dubois on the same night at this moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cdot588 View Post
    Dubois owner here. I've been starting him ever since he got moved up to first line C and first line C on the powerplay and have not been disappointed. His ice time is climbing every game and his offensive output has sky rocketed since the beginning of the year (he was playing on fourth line). At this point, I would start him over Guentz all day. Guentz's value flows from Crosby, Malkin and Kessel, who he is not playing with enough right now. Dubois' line of Panarin and Anderson is on fire right now, ride that line all day
    Can do! Will work him in when I can.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Initiate

Without question I'd bench Guentzel until he's back with Sid. This isn't last year and L3 does not have Kessel and Bonino on it. There just simply isn't enough upside to start him in this slot. I wouldn't even play Guentzel on Saturday either. I'd rather roll the dice on Brown/Kopitar or Perry/Getzlaf than bother if that's an option. Not the best matchup but the TOI, Linemates, and PP time is all there.

I would definitely roll PLD when Boeser isn't playing... that's an easy one. CBJ has started scoring more lately and it's really been a lot of that line. PLD is playing very well and IMO is a better play than Guentzel now.

I don't see an easy drop for you but you should see if you could make a trade to free up a roster spot. Horvat is coming back soon anyways so it will need to be done or you'll have to make a drop to bring Horvat off IR

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by FFleming5 View Post
    Without question I'd bench Guentzel until the Pittsburgh lineup changes and he goes back to playing with Crosby. There is simply not the talent in Pittsburgh to give him value right now on L3... It's not like its Bonino and Kessel like last year, where it wouldn't be optimal, but the line still scored. I wouldn't even want to play Guentzel on Saturday either... I'd rather roll with Dustin Brown on Kopitar's wing or Perry on Getzlaf's or save the start if you count starts. I know that Anaheim/LA isn't an expected high scoring matchup, but at least you'd have a player with the TOI, exposure to better scorers + PPP potential.

Dubois is an obvious start when Boeser isn't playing, Columbus has actually picked up a lot as of late and that line is driving it. Panarin was pretty quiet this year until the recent uptick and they've been really great... plus their powerplay, while not amazing, is no longer a trash heap

If it's a full keeper, I don't really see a great drop for you right now, you'd be better suited to pull of a trade of some sort to free up a slot to use your rookies at the same time. And possibly a good idea to make a trade anyways for a pick to free up a spot for Horvat as he'll be back soon. Looks like Perry/Brown are the drops though

You know what you've gotta do...
    I like your thinking regarding using Perry or Brown on the weekend, I think I'll do that. We have a max gp limit, so for instance we have 2 centre slots, so max games played is 164.

Yeah, I'm glad I picked up Dubois, there is bound to be someone who needs a good rookie after the season, or normally there is, and I think he's better than the rookies available: Debrusk, Kempe, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by full keeper, it's basically a limited keeper. I went into this year with Wheeler, Kuzy, Monahan, Hall and then Aho as my rookie carry-over. Guentzel I picked up given his potential, but had no intentions to sign him, since I already have 4 contracts. He would be a consideration if Patches turned it around/garned a better return, but at this point I still trust Patches more, and he's a bigger name. I just figured try to catch lightning in a bottle, like I moved out 2 keepers (Kuzy/Monahan) and got 1 back (Benn), but I figured Guentzel could fetch a decent return if he performed up to pre-season predictions. That's not the case right now, but could change in 2nd half. So instead of Monahan/Kuzy, I'll basically have Benn/Patches going into next year. I think my rookie (Boeser) is better than my rookie from last year (Aho).

At this this point, I'll probably go into next year with Benn, Wheeler, Hall, Patches and Boeser as my rookie carry-over. Yeah, if I can't move a guy for a pick, and want to play Dubois regularly, I won't lose sleep if I have to drop guys like Brown/Perry. They are depth pieces anyways. I would rather keep a high upside guy in Guentzel, will just bench him for now. The rookie slot is nice, because I can keep 1 guy in there all the time, or bring Dubois in to play tonight when Boeser isn't. If I end up playing Dubois/Boeser on the same night sometimes, I'll just have to be sure I drop someone. Then if I want to say move Dubois back to the rookie slot, can just do so and re-add guy I dropped, or someone different. Basically I have flexibility, but rookie slot works like IR basically.

When we drafted, we still only drafted 9 players each (roster size 14), and then if we drafted a rookie and put them into rookie slot, could add another player to roster. For the first part of the year, I moved Boeser in and out of the rookie slot, and played around with last roster spot, whether it was dropping someone, or moving a guy to IR. I've had injuries at different points. Guys that I drafted that are no longer on my team are Lucic and Klefbom (both bums this year). Brown, Subban, Dubois, Benn, Guentzel, Patches, Horvat were not on my team to start the year, and Monahan, Kuzy, Aho, were, and I had owned Barrie for a bit (added via free agency, moved him for Horvat). Who do you actually like more in my format, Brown or Perry? I just mean who is the 1st you would drop (when the time comes)? Perry has dropped off a lot in recent years, but his production is pretty similar to usual, whereas Brown is producing at a 50-60 pt pace for the first time in awhile.

I still think my team is in good shape, my keeper group is just a bit older than it was going into this year, but more goal upside on my team in general.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Pro

Lol, just my luck I plug Dubois in for a game and he gets no points and a -2..
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Pro

And 2 nights in a row with nothing from Dubois/Columbus stunk up the joint. Back to the rookie slot goes Dubois . Van scored 5 goals and I got a -1 from Boeser too, no points lol. I played Dubois at centre last night, but was using up a skater game I had due to the game Zuc was a late scratch and I didn't sub him out.

My team is hot garbage right now.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax