Thread: Bishop/Talbot-Rep

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Bishop/Talbot-Rep

At the start of the season I asked the forum which they'd rather have in a points only dynasty. The majority response was Talbot. I've always been a fan of both but Talbot's play this year has been horendous as has the play of most of his team. In December's keeper goalie rankings Talbot was still ranked among the top at 4th (I'm puzzled why) and Bishop was ranked 15th. My Oiler fan buddy told me the other day he used to view Talbot as a good goalie who has bad games...but now he thinks he might be a bad goalie who has good games lol. Anyway we only start 1 goalie per week and I have an abundance of them on my team to choose between starting- Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Talbot, Bishop (also have Darling but he's pointless to mention at this point). So my question is how would you rank my Big 4 (looking to trade for an upgrade elsewhere that wouldn't hurt my chances this year). I'm currently 2nd of 9 teams.

I'll rep whoever I can!
    Yahoo:16 team h2h (18 man rosters) 4keepers per team
    player cats:
    G,A,+/-ppp,shp,sog,gwg,hits,blks :goalie cats:W,gaa,sv%,so
    3c-Zibanejad, Getzlaf, Trochek
    6w-Fiala, JT Miller,Pastrnak, Pearson, kapanen, Lindblom
    4d-Hamilton,Provorov, R.Andersson, Doughty
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood
    bench-Schultz, McCann, Lowry
    IR:Kucherov, Beauvilier

Fantrax:Nordiques 9 team dynasty pts only (max roster:50)
    notables:Stamkos, Seguin, Kuznetsov, E.Lindholm, Debrincat, Wheeler, Marchand, PLD, Kessel, Meier, Tuch, Hedman, Suter, Chabot, Bobrovsky ,Hellebuyck, Binnington
    notable prospects:Turcotte, Zegras, N.Suzuki, Farabee, Denisenko, Krebs, N.Robertson, Jokiharju, Shestyorkin

The Great One

Default Re: Bishop/Talbot-Rep

You'll get the biggest upgrade by trading one of Bob or Helleybuyck. I'd put them both on the block to see if one can get you a substantially better deal than the other. I'd be comfortable with Bishop as my backup and just hope that Talbot and Edmonton rounds back to form next year.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think Talbot was highly ranked due to the perception that the Oilers were going to be good for a long time, and he was going to get the majority of the starts. That translates to wins, and I have always found the goalie rankings to have a lot to do with wins/shutouts, and less to do with save percentage. I've basically learned that I should ignore thaem, because my league only cares about save percentage, really - shutouts are a save percentage of 100%, which is excellent of course.

The issue is that the Oilers this year are a mediocre offensive team, and a poor defensive team. The Penguins also fit this bill, and that's why Talbot & Murray aren't doing well.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    You'll get the biggest upgrade by trading one of Bob or Helleybuyck. I'd put them both on the block to see if one can get you a substantially better deal than the other. I'd be comfortable with Bishop as my backup and just hope that Talbot and Edmonton rounds back to form next year.
    Ya I get what your saying, Bob and Hellboy would net the biggest return. If I wasnt in 2nd place I'd do that for sure but it's hard for me to do since they've been as consistent as they come. Most teams in the league are out of contention or rebuilding, hellebuyck would be the most desired since he's young and its a dynasty league.
    player cats:
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood

notables:Stamkos, Seguin, Kuznetsov, E.Lindholm, Debrincat, Wheeler, Marchand, PLD, Kessel, Meier, Tuch, Hedman, Suter, Chabot, Bobrovsky ,Hellebuyck, Binnington
    notable prospects:Turcotte, Zegras, N.Suzuki, Farabee, Denisenko, Krebs, N.Robertson, Jokiharju, Shestyorkin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I think Talbot was highly ranked due to the perception that the Oilers were going to be good for a long time, and he was going to get the majority of the starts. That translates to wins, and I have always found the goalie rankings to have a lot to do with wins/shutouts, and less to do with save percentage. I've basically learned that I should ignore thaem, because my league only cares about save percentage, really - shutouts are a save percentage of 100%, which is excellent of course.

The issue is that the Oilers this year are a mediocre offensive team, and a poor defensive team. The Penguins also fit this bill, and that's why Talbot & Murray aren't doing well.
    This leagues points only so wins (2pt), shutouts (w+1pt) and the rare goalie assist (1pt) are the only thing that counts.
    player cats:
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche_Ambush View Post
    This leagues points only so wins (2pt), shutouts (w+1pt) and the rare goalie assist (1pt) are the only thing that counts.
    The Goalie Post rankings seem like they are aiming at your type of league. The problem is that Murray & Talbot have been really bad at putting up solid games, so you may get a gem, and a bunch of stinkers. The goalies who are most consistently bad this season, 15 starts minimum:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...art_goalie_pct

Every guy on that list so far is 50-50 or worse to put up a league save percentage in any particular game. If you are consistently putting up below average save percentages, you are going to consistently not win. Amazigly there are 3 guys guys who were considered elite keeper options coming into the season on that list: Murray, Talbot, & Price, and they are all blowing up fantasy teams' stats.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

bump
    player cats:
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood

Dobber Sports Sage

I'd trade bishop before I'd trade Talbot.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):