Thread: Need some goalie advice to fix my train wreck. Rep!

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Need some goalie advice to fix my train wreck. Rep!

I am still stuck in 8th place and losing again this week 3-6-1. Lost last week 2-8. And on it goes. Looking at my roster, it really shouldn't be this grim, should it? But I built this roster on the hopes that Dubnyk and Murray would be top 10 goalies (actually hoping for top 5) and they're barely top 20. Made a trade for Jones, which didn't cost me too much. But then I started him against Dallas and he gave up 6, benched him against TOR and he gave up 2. Likewise for Dubs. Gives up 1 goal to Florida, then 6 to friggin' COL. Murray has been just as inconsistent. So the question is, is it time for a fire sale and a rebuild? Tough to do in a one-year league, but right now I don't seem to have a lot of choice. I'm not sure if getting one new goalie will turn this around or not.

Looking at the other teams' standings and rosters, the goalies I might have at least a long-shot of landing if I over-pay are Bobrovsky, Andersen, Hutton, Rask, Smith, Bishop, Ward, Gibson and Allen. But again, I'd have to over-pay and none of those are guaranteed trades. I might get laughed off the ice. The only notable FA's are Jarry, Khudobin, Miller and Kuemper.

So... Do I ride it out with Murray, Dubs and Jones and hope for the best, or give up a big asset like Schenn, Burns or Boeser to land another goalie? Or would it make sense to make a 2-for-1 and land a better skater, then with the open slot pick up Jarry as a handcuff and see what happens in PIT? With 4 goalies maybe I could win the W's and Saves cats on volume alone. At least I wouldn't be losing all four every week!

I need to make up a bunch of points to even make the playoffs. Your advice would be appreciated! Thanks.
    C: Kopitar, Jarvis (RW), Thomas
    RW: Wilson, Bratt (LW), Zuccarello, Svechnikov (LW)
    LW: B. Tkachuk, E.Kane, Boldy (RW)
    D: Matheson, Rielly, Dahlin, Burns
    G: Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy, Kochetkov
    IR+

10 Team H2H, one year, G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, HIT, W, SVP, GAA, SV
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2Util, 2G

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Need some goalie advice to fix my train wreck. Rep!

I'd maybe look into moving Murray or Jones and try to package them with a player for an upgrade, but honestly I think youre okay here. It's just a bit of a rough patch. With 3 goalies like that, you have the option to pick the matchups and you don't have to play them every game. I would ride it out for a bit longer and see if things will tunr around. If they don't improve then go ahead and make a splash.
    20-team dynasty cats League, Daily sets
    25 keepers, 2 rookies
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPP,GWG, FOW, Hits, BLKS, SOG, Goalie starts,GAA,SV%,SVS,W,

F: O'Brien, Newhook, Wennberg, Tavares, Kuraly, Bjorkstrand, Skinner, Zucker, Bertuzzi, Coleman, Kurashev, N Robertson

D: Dunn, Moser, Matheson, Mintyukov

G: Binnington, Fleury, Forsberg, Dostal, Rittich
    NA: Sogaard, Denisenko, Annunen

Dobber Sports Titan

In a head to head league like this you're losing a skater bench spot to have three good starters, which doesn't give you much more than two good starters do. I would be looking to move a goalie (whoever gets you the most back in a trade) for a good skater to patch some holes there. Maybe target a Pavelski guy who was a little cold through the first half but can turn it around, and offer cross category production.

I would try turning Kuz into someone a little more multidimensional too.

How far out of a playoff spot are you?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

I?m 20 points out of the playoffs but losing this week. It sure seems like my roster is good enough to be in the top 6 but the goalies have been killing me. So you?re saying don?t try to fix the goalie situation, but try to dominate the other cats? That?s a decent idea. Had not really thought of doing that.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Yeah, you thought you had 2 good starters( Dubnyk/Murray), and one solid starter (Jones); however you really have 1 good starter (Jones), 1 solid but erratic guy (Dubnyk), and one pile of poo (Murray). I'd look to move Murray + a skater for a skater upgrade.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by jimc21 View Post
    I?m 20 points out of the playoffs but losing this week. It sure seems like my roster is good enough to be in the top 6 but the goalies have been killing me. So you?re saying don?t try to fix the goalie situation, but try to dominate the other cats? That?s a decent idea. Had not really thought of doing that.
    That's the general idea.
    In head to head leagues where the goaltending categories are average based, and the skater cats are just counting stats, I roll more often with one goalie than I do with three. Usually I have one goalie and have a bench spot that is used half of the time for a goalie and the other half as a skater based on need.
    As soon as you add in games started and/or saves as goalie cats, then it switches around though.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

The Great One

You got the best advice; punt chasing goalie stats. Drop a goalie and go for the other stats. With two of those three goalies, you'll likely still steal the odd goalie cat here and there.
    Last edited by als_revenge; January 8, 2018 at 6:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Dobber Sports Stud

Good strategy. Thanks guys! Glad I asked.

So what do you think of this proposal: I offer Murray (a pile of crap) + Kuzy (cooled off and lower peripherals) for Marchand and Schwartz (IR). I shelf Schwartz, who seems to be poised to come back soon, and use the open slot to take a hitter or PIM monster like Wagner or Hagg. I gain a ton of peripherals and with Marchand probably don't lose any scoring. When Schwartz comes back off IR then I can either hope someone else is DTD/IR or else drop my bottom guy. Sound good? Another deal I might be able to make is Boeser + Murray for Tarasenko. Better or worse?
    IR+

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jimc21 View Post
    Good strategy. Thanks guys! Glad I asked.

So what do you think of this proposal: I offer Murray (a pile of crap) + Kuzy (cooled off and lower peripherals) for Marchand and Schwartz (IR). I shelf Schwartz, who seems to be poised to come back soon, and use the open slot to take a hitter or PIM monster like Wagner or Hagg. I gain a ton of peripherals and with Marchand probably don't lose any scoring. When Schwartz comes back off IR then I can either hope someone else is DTD/IR or else drop my bottom guy. Sound good? Another deal I might be able to make is Boeser + Murray for Tarasenko. Better or worse?
    I love that first deal, it's the kind of think I was suggesting. The second deal, I am going to say something I wouldn't have guessed I would utter: I'm not sure Tarasenko is enough of an upgrade on Boeser to add in Murray. Yes, Murray stinks now, but he has a lot of shine left as a keeper.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

I agree, I would try for the first deal to begin with, and go from there. Maybe the Tank team has a middle defenceman you could add to upgrade on Miller.

Dobber Sports Stud

The owner accepted the first deal! I think it makes a lot of sense, especially if Schwartz comes back soon. The only thing that would make this better is if a few of my guys rotate DTD and I don't have to drop anyone of consequence to activate him. Thanks again for the advice.
    IR+