Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: WOW... Lias Andersson throws medal into crowd!!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: WOW... Lias Andersson throws medal into crowd!!

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    If you don't comprehend that kids will emulate their hero's behaviors and actions then you either don't have children or you are completely oblivious. Children will always imitate and mimic the actions and behaviors of those they look up to regardless of how well parents parent them.
    Which leads to the second point, is he didnt do anything wrong.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Who exactly did he disrespect? Didn't he shake hands with the Canadians and the official giving the medal? While I don't necessarily recommend throwing the medal in the stands, his desire to win and disgust with losing overshadows whatever disrespect you might view his actions. We laud athletes for giving everything for the team and we crush them for being lazy and selfish. Guys block shots and play with injuries all in the attempt to win and we praise them for their heart and desire. This kid takes a material item and throws it away since it represents their loss and people lose their minds over it. As long as this was genuine emotion, I absolutely LOVE what this kid did and I want him on my team.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports All-Star

I would feel like I failed as a parent if my child threw his or her silver medal away in the manner Lias did. Winning is not everything. That fact that you and some of the other members on this forum see nothing wrong with this type of behavior is a sad commentary on today's society.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Sage

I would feel like I failed as a parent if my child threw his or her silver medal away in the manner Lias did. Winning is not everything. That fact that you and some of the other members on this forum see nothing wrong with this type of behavior is a sad commentary on today's society.
    Bullshit. This is not a sad commentary on society. Hyperbole much?
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Who exactly did he disrespect? Didn't he shake hands with the Canadians and the official giving the medal? While I don't necessarily recommend throwing the medal in the stands, his desire to win and disgust with losing overshadows whatever disrespect you might view his actions. We laud athletes for giving everything for the team and we crush them for being lazy and selfish. Guys block shots and play with injuries all in the attempt to win and we praise them for their heart and desire. This kid takes a material item and throws it away since it represents their loss and people lose their minds over it. As long as this was genuine emotion, I absolutely LOVE what this kid did and I want him on my team.
    Its not about disrespect. You can’t throw things at fans...

Dobber Sports All-Star

Bullshit. This is not a sad commentary on society. Hyperbole much?
    I am not being hyperbolic at all. It is disappointing to find that so many folks would see nothing wrong with their children displaying this type of second place is for losers behavior. But then again, we live in Trump's America now so nothing truly surprises me anymore.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Dobber Sports Stud

Wow that really sucks.
    Princeton is a damn nice place to live/grow up.

ok back to arguing.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Sage

I am not being hyperbolic at all. It is disappointing to find that so many folks would see nothing wrong with their children displaying this type of second place is for losers behavior. But then again, we live in Trump's America now so nothing truly surprises me anymore.
    LOL- That's a nice cheap shop from you about Trump. Whatever....Most of us despise the clown. I'll tell you what I find so disappointing is how incredibly soft some people are and how quick they get their feelings hurt. Faux outrage is a nice way ratataylor summed it up. This kid threw away an object in the heat of the moment after a crushing defeat. Who the hell is upset that he didn't want his medal? Do his opponents feel disrespected? Are the IIHF officials upset since someone didn't want their silver medal?

Dobber Sports All-Star

LOL- That's a nice cheap shop from you about Trump. Whatever....Most of us despise the clown. I'll tell you what I find so disappointing is how incredibly soft some people are and how quick they get their feelings hurt. Faux outrage is a nice way ratataylor summed it up. This kid threw away an object in the heat of the moment after a crushing defeat. Who the hell is upset that he didn't want his medal? Do his opponents feel disrespected? Are the IIHF officials upset since someone didn't want their silver medal?
    All I am saying is that hundreds of thousands of kids watching the game learned a valuable lesson. Second place is for losers. Carry on.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Dobber Sports Sage

All I am saying is that hundreds of thousands of kids watching the game learned a valuable lesson. Second place is for losers. Carry on.
    A lot of elite competitors feel that way. And it's not Andersson's job to teach kids a lesson.

Dobber Sports Star

The kid is 19 years old and passionate about hockey. When I was 19, my biggest concern was how I was going to bang the new shy 18 year old cashier at McDonalds. It’s not the big deal that people are making it out to be...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ace

A lot of elite competitors feel that way. And it's not Andersson's job to teach kids a lesson.
    Not his job, no. But it might effect how his future employers treat him. There's lots of players who never really seem to make it because their attitude doesn't mesh with the team. If he's willing to do this in an internationally televised game, what's he going to say to the press? This is a situation that teams spend money teaching players to handle. There's an image most teams want to project, and being a good role model to kids is generally a part of their community outreach.

Being a pro athlete makes you a role model in our society, whether players like it or not. If you're going to make millions of dollars playing a kid's game, you should be showing kids how to do it well, and have fun doing it. Because really, it's a game 99% of kids play for fun, for exercise and to make friends. Not every kid is going to be a pro.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Ninja

Me, a troll: Defends 19 year old kid.

You, not a troll: Attacks a 19 year old kids character for not acting the way you personally think he should act.

Yes.
    Yeah, I sort of overshot on calling you a troll for that post. I didn't realize it would hurt your feelings though.

Nobody gave him an award. They gave him a consolation prize. It didn't lack class. Criticizing a 19 year old kid for not wanting a silver medal lacks class.
    If you would have understood what I posted, I was criticizing the kid's one act, not his character. I completely understand his feeling dejected and not wanting the medal, but his actions DEFINITELY lacked class, at least in my opinion. Obviously, there are people, including yourself, who think his actions were just fine, even borderline heroic (hates to lose, warrior, etc). I guess that every player who accepts the silver is not as much of a competitor then? Garbage. The optics of throwing the medal into the stands is bad. Anyway, I'm not going to change your opinion on this and you are not going to change mine. So be it.

I can't wait until some of the silver and especially the bronze (second losers, lol) medalists at the Olympics throw their medals into the stands. Oh wait, those are actually worth quite a bit of money.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

It's his medal once it goes around his neck and he can do what he wants with it. Whether he throws it away in public or in private amounts to the same. He made a statement and stuck by it, which these days seems rare. I don't mind it one bit.

One some level, sportsmanship at that level is window-dressing. These guys will cut throats to make it to the next level and to win championships and if they've made it to this level, already have; even their friend's. It's right in line with how he felt, so he did it.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Wizard

Just want to point out that yes, second place is the first loser. This is a fact. Its still a good accomplishment, and I imagine someday Andersson will look back on it as such. But there can only be one winner.... If you are not that winner, you lost.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar